Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung MU8000 colour banding issues

(Topic created on: 16-06-2018 01:44 PM)
Visitor198888
Apprentice
Options

I have the UE55mu8000 tv along with a Samsung K8500 uhd player .

ive recently just bought The Blue Planet 2 4k blue ray as I’ve read great reviews on how it show cases your tv,  I watched this in hd when it was broadcast and noticed a lot of colour banding but I put this down to the broadcast being in Hd, but watching in on my system in 4k uhd it’s just as bad?

i get the same issues when watching Netflix in 4k also.

ive tried all the settings under the sun to be honest, so I’m wondering if it’s a screen fault on my TV?

i have tried new HDMI cables also.  

I’ve include a couple,of pics to highlight the issue.  I’m sure a real 4k recording shouldn’t look like this on a new tv with a 10 bit screen?

Anyone else have this issue?

585386FD-C3C0-4B86-9611-7F3E05548A2B.jpeg96C3A460-B88D-4D30-B52F-D2ED2A505C9A.jpeg

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32
MrTugBoat87
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

they emawd yesterday and said it was fine and within spec, which is rubbish. They e lot seem the videos only one photo.

im going to send everything over on Monday and show them the comparison between the screen I had 3 weeks ago which was not as bad as this one which they replaced and the one I have now which is awful, in comparison. 

Visitor198888
Apprentice
Options

That’s terrible service hey,  I can’t believe they think that’s acceptable, it’s not a budget Tv we’re talking about here either, I don’t think I’ll be buying Samsung again, thats for sure.

I would keep at them like you say,  you can’t settle for one that’s worse they the one you complained about in the first place! 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@MrTugBoat87 wrote:

Hi,

they emawd yesterday and said it was fine and within spec, which is rubbish. They e lot seem the videos only one photo.

im going to send everything over on Monday and show them the comparison between the screen I had 3 weeks ago which was not as bad as this one which they replaced and the one I have now which is awful, in comparison. 

I had the same issues with a replacement q9f which was awful,  hdr was darker than SDR and banding and like a shadow around the edges. Sent them pictures and Samsung said it was within spec! They did give me a refund though so don't except there rubbish and go for a refund. 

Paul

0 Likes
MrTugBoat87
Journeyman
Options

Hi Mate,

did you ppurchase the TV through Samsung? Mines through AO

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@MrTugBoat87 wrote:

Hi Mate,

did you ppurchase the TV through Samsung? Mines through AO

No I made a big mistake of buy from a third party from Amazon. You lose you section 75 credit protection and after 120 days Amazon will not help you. Lucky for me I sent loads of Emails to Samsung and Samsung CEO and hit the social media and eventually they replaced a ks9500 for the Q9f which was rubbish and they then gave me a full refund. Must admit I was surprised as they were not my retailer so they did not have to refund. But it took over 6 months of bulls**** to get there. 

Paul

0 Likes
MrTugBoat87
Journeyman
Options

Cheers mate - like right now, I’ve got the cricket on and had the football on, it’s been fine, just the normal vertical banding. The issue is during some colours and scenes where you can clearly see massive issues with the unit.

as I said, I’ll ping it all over Monday, make the argument that this is worse than the one they did fix - I feel completely undervalued as a loyal customer.

0 Likes
MrTugBoat87
Journeyman
Options

Right, They came back to me today and said the issue is not deemed to be bad and is within Spec. Ill attach the two photos, the one on the unit before, which they deemed was bad and the one now which is WAY worse and they deemed was OK.

They did say they would give me an uplift number for AO but they dont even have the model anymore! 

I did refer back and say they looked after one of the guys in the forum, upgraded them to a QLED and refunded, so we shall see. I feel poorly treated, worse thing is, we have had our kitchen designed, i choose all samsung goods for it, as its all intergreated together, the Home Hub friedge etc, if they are going to not look after me here and make out i am lying, they why would i spend over 5K on Kitchen goods with them!

See attached the photos.

Markunit that was replaced - banding not too badunit that was replaced - banding not too badUnit that they say is within spec = worse bandingUnit that they say is within spec = worse banding

0 Likes
grifster2016
Journeyman
Options

I also have the MU8000 65" bought in February 2018 and it has similar backlight banding issues. I've tried to adjust to it but it's so distracting and shouldn't be on a TV of this quality.

Fortunately I purchased from John Lewis with an additional warranty. I'm going to give them a call and make some enquiries because I'm not happy. Will keep you upated.

0 Likes
MrTugBoat87
Journeyman
Options

Good luck, should be more straightforward with John Lewis, I went back and fourth with Samsung for months before they agreed there was an issue. 

0 Likes
Visitor198888
Apprentice
Options

How did you get on by the way? Did they change the TV?

0 Likes