Did you mean: 

Ring Pro Doorbell displaying on my Samsung QLED

(Topic created on: 24-10-2019 11:16 AM)
JonHeath1980
First Poster
Options

Hi all,

I own the Ring Pro Doorbell and a Samsung QE55Q7FAM

I was reading this article below with interest with the intention of displaying the doorbell video when some rings the bell:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/tv-audio-video/how-do-i-use-the-ring-doorbell-pro-with-my-smart-t...

So I have installed the "SmartThings" app on my iPhone and have added both the TV and the Ring Pro successfully.

However I'm stuck on the "Enabling 'Motion Detection' and 'Doorbell activation' to view on your Samsung smart TV" section of the article. In-particular Step 3 of that section - "To see these on your TV, you will need to open the SmartThings app on your TV, then enableRingand/orMotion". The problem is I don't have a SmartThings app on my TV, neither is it there to install when I search the app store. Is this because my TV isn't new enough??!! (I bought it in the summer of 2018).

Cheers

Jon

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14
DannyT
Options
Hi there, @JonHeath1980.

We've just had a look at the TV in our office. And it does seem to be available for us. Could you check that your TV is completely up to date?

Welcome to the Community!

0 Likes
JonHeath1980
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes my TV is up to date. I updated the firmware 1270.3 via USB (as the auto update insisted there was no update even though I was on 1262). 

What version of TV do you have in the office? The same as mine?

Thanks

Jon

0 Likes
JonHeath1980
First Poster
Options
Bump. Hi @DannyT

Still in the same situation on this one. No sign of Smartthings app on my TV, nor can I find it to install?
0 Likes
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

The app should definitely be there, @JonHeath1980. Click on the 'Supported Devices' button part way down this link.

0 Likes
Hilton111
Student
Options

Hi Jon, 

Did you ever find out if it possible to get the smart things app on your TV? I have the same model and having the same problem.

Smart things setting are on the main TV menu and I cant the app on the TV app store. My smartthing app on my phone sees the TV and ring doorbell.

I paid around £1200 for the qled, my mate got a Samsung 2 months later standard 4k model for half the price of mine and he seem to have and updated version on the OS.

I would suppect the hardware in my qled TV is better then my friends as his was half the price and not qled. so I can unstand why his OS better then mine??  

Any help would be appreciated. 

Nice one. 

Matt

0 Likes
JonHeath1980
First Poster
Options

Hi Matt,

No I never got it working. The original article talks about the "Smartthings App" on your TV. This just isn't a thing on my TV. I can't find or install it on my TV. Like you, I can install the App on my phone but that doesn't really give me anything useful.

Pretty sure it's all down to the firmware on the TV. The TV is actually a 2017 model, even though I bought it in 2018. I think it's in the same boat as getting Apple Airplay to work (see this thread https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/New-Apple-TV-and-Airplay-firmware-update-not-available/m-p/13...).

They basically aren't supporting this Ring Doorbell functionality or this Airplay functionality on our TV model, despite it costing a lot of money and being barely over a year old. Very poor from Samsung in my opinion. Doesn't encourage me to buy their TV's in the future if they're not supporting new features on the firmware so soon after purchase. I think we're just in their laps, and the only way this will get resolved is if they decide to include our models in future updates. Poor.

Cheers

Jon

0 Likes
PaulDog
First Poster
Options

The same is happening to me. I have a Samsung QLED QN65Q8CAMG top of the line and I don't have that app on my available apps.

what tha hell Samsung?

0 Likes
TinaR61
First Poster
Options

I had the same pro lem with my zring door ell and Q80 ( new yop of the range 55 bought in Sept 2019).

Try this go to your apos selectio .  Click and open it. 

At the top right hand side there are three icons 

First is tour account second is search magnifiying glass and third is settings.  CLICK ON THE SEARCH.  When that loads you should get a keyboard. Type 'smartlife" into the box and hit retun/ go.  Itshould then pop up for installation youmay have to type it as Smart Life' or 'SmartLife'.  Good luck.

I just need mine to automatically show  on tv screen when bell is pushed .  Since the last samsung upgrade its stopped working.  

I am sure my Cambridge University IT degree will help but cant understand why samsung is so user unfriendly

0 Likes
PaulDog
First Poster
Options

Thanks for your reply. I have no results for both smart life or smartlife. I feel like Samsung hasnt released that app for the os versión my tv is running. I'll have to reach out to customer support which is really a last resource thing

0 Likes