Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Remove or hide Rakuten / TV plus - how?

(Topic created on: 18-05-2019 01:54 PM)
adm1n
Apprentice
Options

I have a new UE43NU7020 and am disappointed that upon turning it on I am presented with a loud, blaring stream of advertisements for a PAY TV company called Rakuten under the guise of an app called TV plus.

This is unacceptable in many levels

• The sheer intrusion of having my television default to streaming (on my internet connection, not samsungs) advertisements attempting to lure me into purchasing something that I do not want to
  • The fact that my TV crashes about 50% of the time when these adverts kick off
  • The material being shown is not suitable for children to the fact that 
  • The interface of this TV hangs and crashes when I turn it on due to this irritating and unwanted application when all I want to do is startup Plex, Twitch or sometimes Youtube but most often something that I have plugged into the USB port.  I cannot do these things half of the time because of this TV Plus app blaring out asian bollywood movies at unacceptably high volume and annoying, distracting and often showing content that I do not want my children to see.
  • I literally cannot turn this TV on while the children are in the room.  This is pathetic, I cannot even turn my own TV on when I want to because of this app

I have unchecked these rouge channels form the channel list but what do you know, they come right back after a restart

I have blocked the Rakuten servers on my DNS server by directing them to 0.0.0.0 but what do you know?, Rakuten keep changing the domains that they use for this nuisance .

I thought I would just remove the default gateway in the network settings and prevent the entire TV from going on line and sacrifice the "smart" aspect of this but no, it only supports DHCP, you cannot even set an IP address manually.

I have tried to remove the app but it comes right back at the default input so that it is always playing when the TV is turned on.

I have been a loyal customer, never looking at other manufacturers for over ten years but this is too much, you have completely broken faith and abused the customer relationship with this overt and aggressive marketing.

I have not consented to this application running on my hardware and I have not consented to allow it to use my internet connection to stream ads to me.

I called the call centre to try to find out how to get rid of this and was told that there was no way and to live with it.

Samsung: This is unacceptable and if you really thought that this would be a good idea (there is no way that Rakuten is paying you enough to cover the losses you will make from people simply learning about this and choosing a clean TV instead from an ethical manufacturer) then you could have at least tested it to make sure that it would not impair the normal operations of the TV.

I wasted 400 pounds on this piece of junk that is an otherwise average but acceptable TV but you have rendered it useless with this one application.

I welcome a solution to this problem but if none is forthcoming then this is going on ebay and I'll just get an LG.  My next TV in the living room is approaching the end of it's life, that will be an LG too and the hundreds of TV that I specify and purchase at work for use in large network operations centres will also be LG or some other ethical supplier and never again will I use a Samsung product.  The same goes for mine and my families phones, if I cant trust to with a TV then how am I to trust you with a phone?

As you can see by now, I am very irritated with this unnecessary intrusion into my life and instead of sitting here watching game of thrones I am typing this while a frozen screen with a bollywood advert and a frozen menu are on the screen before me.

32 REPLIES 32
JeremyCricket
Apprentice
Options

I have done the same thing 

as advised via the LOCK 

channels method even 

though we do not use a

ariel!!!

The whole Rakuten Tv is 

very very shoddy how can

Samsung get away with

ADWARE in 2019!!!!?

SchindlersList
First Poster
Options

***** hell. I am thinking to sell off my TV just becoz of this Rakun TV . The other day my baby literally scared and cried as soon i switched on TV. what a ***** on this earth. Need to file a suite in the crown court ? Samsung will go to hell with this type of cheap tricks. 

Not sure but thinking these options in my pocket

-Will ask my Internet service provider to block this rakun tv IP

-Searching to login admin or root and delete rakun

-Lift the TV to 100 meters up and dump in the bin (easy option)

JeremyCricket
Apprentice
Options

Try loading Tv then press ch list, press on edit channels, select 4000-4003, go down to lock and now they should be locked with the PIN number you originally set fingers crossed

0 Likes
Olivia234
First Poster
Options
  1. Press CH-LIST on the remote
  2. Press up on the remote and select “Edit Channels” then press OK on the remote
  3. Select “4001” and “4002”
  4. Press right on the remote and select “Delete” then press OK on the remote
0 Likes
JeremyCricket
Apprentice
Options
That doesn’t work it’s a temporary thing then it all comes back unfortunately
0 Likes
Stuart4
Student
Options

There's an easier way. Reset the TV and don't accept any licence agreements. Resist the tempation to tick the tick box and just press continue...

0 Likes
Chris19731
Journeyman
Options
This doesn’t work - it comes back
0 Likes
Chris19731
Journeyman
Options

I have had my tv 2 years 

blocked rakuten app 

deleted 4000 channels 

it’s back rakuten when I turn on tv - it’s a HIDDEN app MYTV+ its inside the firmware. 

I spoke to a senior technician and tore strips off him for a whole hour !!

my kids are 3 year old and 2 year old watching movie trailers FOR ADULTS. 

this d*** head is saying you cannot delete it at all as it is SPYWARE ! 

This is a case for the courts because it’s invasion of privacy IT IS MY TV. I should be able to do what I want with it. 

Cost me a fortune too i just don’t know what to do 

JeremyCricket
Apprentice
Options
Put parental pin on those channels and they can’t open sometimes they try to load but are stopped by the pin
Stuart4
Student
Options

Sadly true.

Think I am there now. With this, both Smart TV options unchecked and the MYTV channels removed it seems OK now.

If this doesn't work, will be disconnecting the TV from the Internet and go back to my 4K FireStick.

Am now frustrated cos have no aerial but TV defaults to Broadchast Source on StartUp. Can't change this either, although the FireStick in AnyNet+ HDMI Input would do the trick. I think :}