Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of BBC iPlayer from Smart TV

(Topic created on: 08-01-2018 06:09 PM)
IWP
Student
Options
On 25th April 2011 we purchased a Samsung TV from John Lewis Partnership in Stafford. It is a 32inch Smart TV and cost £599. I have the receipt. 
The only reason for buying the SMART version was to view BBC i player.
When we now access BBCi Player a caption comes up to say you will be removing the BBC player on 17th October.
We have visited John Lewis and they say this is happening a lot. They are taking no action against you.

I have report this to the Trading Standards as an abuse of supplier power.
We purchased an item which has functioned well for 6 years in good faith that the functionality would remain the same and have no reason to think it will not continue. But to remove a key piece of functionality which we have paid for seem illegal if not unfair and poor in terms of customer relations.
It seems a cynical use of supplier power to force customers like us to go out and purchase a new television with no technical reason offered and no compensation towards a new Samsung TV. How could we purchase a new Samsung TV with this experience of cavalier support.

I would appreciate if you could investigate this sharp practice and advise us on our options.
Ian
17 REPLIES 17
72degrees
First Poster
Options
One work around is to have a Plex server on a PC that is connected to your home network, add iPlayer as a Channel and then use the Plex app which is available to download under Samsung apps on the Smart Hub. You don't actually have to subscribe to Plex to install a server, but it does require a bit of IT knowledge to get the connection working manually (knowing how to find the internal IP address of your PC). Not for everyone, but it works for me, as well as streaming locally stored video and music via the TV. I actually prefer the interface to the standard Samsung "Allshare" one that I used to use for that.
0 Likes
Totoro
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the tip. I am a software engineer so should be capable.

0 Likes
Pollowick
Journeyman
Options
PLEX App?

Certainly not one available for my Samsung TV.

0 Likes
72degrees
First Poster
Options

@Pollowick wrote:
PLEX App?

Certainly not one available for my Samsung TV.

Possibly not. Mine is a fairly old "smart tv" but the Plex app for the Samsung Smart Hub is available. It is listed  under 'Video'. You would also need a Plex server installation on a PC on your network. These links may help:
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204080173-Which-Smart-TV-models-are-supported-
https://forums.plex.tv/categories/samsung-smart-hub

0 Likes
Heronscourt
First Poster
Options
I have a 4 month old QE55Q7FAM which until three or four days ago was capable of accessing BBC iplayer. I can no longer access iplayer. This is virtually a new t.v. and cost over £1200. Samsung don't seem interested, it's not listed as an iplayer restricted TV. We only bought because we wanted iplayer access. Incidentally the ITV hub works perfectly so it's not a network issue. Any ideas on why we hav this problem
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Heronscourtwrote:
I have a 4 month old QE55Q7FAM which until three or four days ago was capable of accessing BBC iplayer. I can no longer access iplayer. This is virtually a new t.v. and cost over £1200. Samsung don't seem interested, it's not listed as an iplayer restricted TV. We only bought because we wanted iplayer access. Incidentally the ITV hub works perfectly so it's not a network issue. Any ideas on why we hav this problem

Hi @Heronscourt, firstly check you have the latest firmware  which is 1201.0 and if not download to USB and update that way http://http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE55Q7FAMTXXUwww.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE55Q7F...  If issue not resolved you could reset the Smart Hub, do a factory reset and  try reinstalling Iplayer app .  The BBC may have some advice https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/troubleshooting/tv-games-consoles/troubleshooting_tv_games   

You say you have already contacted Samsung, however have you used or considered Remote Support if all else fails ? Remote Service      If at end of day not happy you do have option  of seeking redress via retailer.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Totoro
First Poster
Options

Hi sadly I can only off words of sympathy. Samsung appears to have become as arrogant and less caring of its customers than Apple. The cynic in me believes the only reason  of Samsung removing features is to force people to buy more Samsung products. Imagine if you bought a lawnmover from B&Q and 3 months later they knocked on  the door and took a bit of away like the cutting blade. It's outrageous that Samsung can behave like this.

0 Likes
PJ1968
Journeyman
Options
I think much of the blame lies with the BBC. They are a closed shop and will not answer questions clearly. I got my complaint broadcast on Radio 4 You and Yours and the iPlayer representative did not fully answer my questions - they no longer answer my emails...
Apparently the codecs used by iPlayer have not changed - I suspect it's the stuff surrounding the iPlayer like the sign in process - honest consumers are victims of the BBC trying to get everyone consuming their content to pay the licence fee. I've solved the problem with an Amazon fire stick - the BBC or Samsung should pay for this, but won't. Incidentally the YouTube app on the fire stick became obsolete within weeks of purchase.
Society appears to have fallen asleep and accepts the constant need to upgrade - if more people complained, things would change. We are too small a minority to have leverage...
0 Likes