Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording via TV's usb port

(Topic created on: 01-02-2019 05:34 PM)
norma21
First Poster
Options

I have the Samsung UE40KU6020 HDR 4K UHD tv. I have checked the manual and seen that I need an external hard drive to record on (min 500 MB and 5,400 rpm). However, I cannot find a suitable drive that has an external power source - they all use the usb connection as the power source. Will this type of usb-powered drive work with my tv?

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
AntS
Options

Hi @norma21. :robothappy:

It will. But it'll only record when the TV is fully powered on as that's the only status in which there's power to the USB port. If you're wanting to record stuff when the TV's on standby, you'll definitely need a drive with an external power source.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

You do not need a powered HDD, because when my 65KS9500EU does work and record (not very often) I use a drive powered by the TV via USB. I also have an older  32 inch Samsung smart TV that does work and I use a 1 ter Seagate USB drive powered through the TV with it and records when in stand by and works all the time. Pity about the top of the range model as detailed below.

65KS9500 Problem since August 2017 still not fixed!!!!!!!!!!!

I also updated firmware to 1208.2, still will not record from the planner when on of in standby. Now had a new one box, new main board, tried 2 USB drives all over 1 ter and a powered drive, all so turning off auto tuning, factory reset and still it  will not record. The drives have been formatted by the TV and have loads of space. Will time shift and record what I am watching so they do work. I think it must be some thing with the power supply and I now thing it's time for a repacement TV, pleaseeeeeee.

Oh got told off for posting to much. Thing is, if the TV worked or was fixed I would not be here, so come on Samsung sort this out and make some of your customers happy again with their Samsung TV's!!!! and no I will keep posting because you have had plenty of time to sort this out.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
You do not need a powered HDD, because when my 65KS9500EU does work and record (not very often) I use a drive powered by the TV via USB. I also have an older 32 inch Samsung smart TV that does work and I use a 1 ter Seagate USB drive powered through the TV with it and records when in stand by and works all the time.
0 Likes
Ronhilditch
Apprentice
Options

Bought a UE55NU8000, one factor was a Freesat tuner with twin LNB inputs and the ability to record to an external hard drive.  Or so I thought!  Is it unreasonable to assume when there are twin LNB inputs, it should be possible to watch one channel and record another one simultaneously?  Didn't work and got nowhere with the Samsung Help Line.  Just sorry it doesn't do that!  

Still it recorded, sometimes?  Either got all of the recording or part of it or nothing at all.  Now it will only record if the TV is on and tuned to the channel being recorded.  Over the few months since I bought it, recording has just got worse.  Had set top boxes from Humax and Echostar, with twin tuners and never had a problem recording.  With twin LNB inputs both vertical and horizontal polarisation are available simultaneously!  Why on earth can't Samsung get their act together?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ronhilditch wrote:

Bought a UE55NU8000, one factor was a Freesat tuner with twin LNB inputs and the ability to record to an external hard drive.  Or so I thought!  Is it unreasonable to assume when there are twin LNB inputs, it should be possible to watch one channel and record another one simultaneously?  Didn't work and got nowhere with the Samsung Help Line.  Just sorry it doesn't do that!  

Still it recorded, sometimes?  Either got all of the recording or part of it or nothing at all.  Now it will only record if the TV is on and tuned to the channel being recorded.  Over the few months since I bought it, recording has just got worse.  Had set top boxes from Humax and Echostar, with twin tuners and never had a problem recording.  With twin LNB inputs both vertical and horizontal polarisation are available simultaneously!  Why on earth can't Samsung get their act together?

For such a large tech company it is very odd they can not sort this issue. 

One good thing is because Samsung now acknowledge this as an ongoing fault all owners who have this and not happy you can ask you retailer for a refund due to faulty goods. 

0 Likes
Mackem_Beefy
Apprentice
Options

I have the same question.   Can I record to an external HDD drive on standby on a Samsung Smart TV model UE40KU6000K where the hard drive does not have it's own power supply?

Ian

0 Likes
Brizone
First Poster
Options

I have the same intermittent problem with the 65" 7000 series. Used to record from non powered usb stick, now it won't, plenty of space left.

0 Likes
Ronhilditch
Apprentice
Options

The HDD gets its power supply from the TV's USB port.  There is no need for a separate power supply.

0 Likes
Brizone
First Poster
Options

I have never used a hdd  with this tv, just usb sticks. Sometimes they work fine and record with the timer function, sometimes you can set the timer and it will not record. and it's not a power problem as I can instant record and view. I have tried timer recording with power on and standby and still won't record.I think it's similar to your previous post regarding loss of timer recording function. I think it's a Samsung software problem.

0 Likes