Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QLED QE55 Q8C - Image judder

(Topic created on: 02-04-2019 01:01 AM)
wizardriv
First Poster
Options

Having purchased a QLED QE55 Q8C last Septemeber I have been in touch recently with support with regards to what I describe as Frame Judder intermittently (every few minutes) watching the set. The resulting communication from Technical is that this is a characteristic of the device and this is my latest response: 

TV works through a number of algorithms set to recognise, review and produce the expected picture on the screen.  On occasion this algorithm is not always able to completely match the required speed to product the picture and there may be a small appearance of loss of frame or picture judder.

This is considered to be within Samsung specification for our TV models, indeed this was experienced within our Test Lab yesterday when this matter was being discussed, and is not an issue that can be resolved by replacement of the part or indeed TV.

As a result the Service Centre, following review with our Technical Escalations, have correctly reported in respect of this matter and in such a case have acted correctly in not changing part(s) in the hope or expectation that these would resolve on the television.

We recognise that this explanation may be met with some disappointment but we wanted to fully clarify and explain the situation in response to your escalation to our office.

Please can I aks if anyone else has experienced this as I find it shocking based on the cost of this TV when my much cheaper set does not have this issue. Is there anything I can do?

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Yes, I've raised a similar post here Judders and white flashes and yes I do find it shocking as I've never seen this with any other TV before even with interpolation settings enabled.  Their algorithm should be clever enough to just serve up the original frame if it can't keep up rather than just dropping them, but typical of Samsung products in that they never work that well.  This was my first Samsung TV and will be my last.

Currently we've lost 4K and UHD from Amazon Prime, a feature Samsung made a lot of PR noise about, so if that doesn't get resolved I'm returning the TV for a refund.  

What you will notice reading the posts is that in 2017 Samsung dropped support for their 2016 models and back tracked over promises they made in adding support for HDR using HLG, now we are in 2018 with their 2018 models out, support for TVs bought in 2017 is very unlikely.

If you are in the UK and unhappy with the TVs performance I would go back to the retailer and ask for a refund, at least Samsung have admitted to there being a problem with their TVs, just because they are saying it is acceptable and isn't a fault, doesn't mean you or a court (if it goes that far) should accept it.  A 4K TV, and along with their advertising, is all about realism and feeling immersed in what you are watching, that isn't possible with frames being dropped left right and centre.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@wizardriv wrote:

Having purchased a QLED QE55 Q8C last Septemeber I have been in touch recently with support with regards to what I describe as Frame Judder intermittently (every few minutes) watching the set. The resulting communication from Technical is that this is a characteristic of the device and this is my latest response: 

TV works through a number of algorithms set to recognise, review and produce the expected picture on the screen.  On occasion this algorithm is not always able to completely match the required speed to product the picture and there may be a small appearance of loss of frame or picture judder.

This is considered to be within Samsung specification for our TV models, indeed this was experienced within our Test Lab yesterday when this matter was being discussed, and is not an issue that can be resolved by replacement of the part or indeed TV.

As a result the Service Centre, following review with our Technical Escalations, have correctly reported in respect of this matter and in such a case have acted correctly in not changing part(s) in the hope or expectation that these would resolve on the television.

We recognise that this explanation may be met with some disappointment but we wanted to fully clarify and explain the situation in response to your escalation to our office.

Please can I aks if anyone else has experienced this as I find it shocking based on the cost of this TV when my much cheaper set does not have this issue. Is there anything I can do?

All I can say is shocking !

0 Likes
Nathan9
First Poster
Options

I am very disappointed in the judder effect.  No matter what settings I try , I cannot get rid of it.  It seems to me this TV was designed mainly for gamers, DVD people and not live tv.  Will probably not buy a Samsung again because of it

0 Likes
FernandoFrancoo
First Poster
Options

Hey... Thanks for the post, I am having the same issue (Q8 QLed Samsung TV), and I would like to know if you got any other response or solution to your problem.

Greetings.

0 Likes
wizardriv
First Poster
Options

Hi,

No Samsung did absolutely nothing, even though they admitted this could happen due to the complicated algorithms used occassionally you will get this frame jump.

Shocking attitude and I fought it for months with them

Only option is to take them to court as they admit this is a "feature" of the set and then it should be pointed out up front before you buy.

My 4th but last Samsung purchase...never again

0 Likes
tjg0260
Student
Options

I have the 65 inch that i've had for about 6 months. It seems the "judder" has gotten worse lately especially watching sports. It shakes or however you describe it every 10 seconds or so. Sometimes it's not as bad but it never seems to go away no matter what settings I use. Yes it is disappointing to read Samsung's response that hey sorry but you are stuck with it. If i had known this would be an issue I would've bought a cheaper tve such as the 2 LG's I have that have not quite as sharp a picture but they stay steady. Definitely wouldn't recommend this tv to anyone

0 Likes
Nathan9
First Poster
Options

Thanks everyone for posting your judder issues.  I just think this problem is not acceptable for a 3500 dollar plus TV.  This will be my last Samsung purchase also. If there was some dedication to the fix the problem and acknowledge it with possible firmware improvements, I would stick with Samsung, but I am moving on for my next TV to Sony or LG.

In my specific case, I have a good chunk of channels I would deem unwatchable from 220-300 on Directv including TBS, TNT, Lifetime, etc.  I think it has to do the inability of the TV to accept a 24fps source from Diretv.  I have given in and turned Automotion Plus OFF, which of course improves the judder issue but produces an undesirable blurry picture.

Tjg0260, I do have one comment about your post.  What has been extremely challenging for me is to separate problems of the source and the TV itself.  I am not sure, but do you have Directv tjg02060?  I have found there is a microstutter issue which appears to be more related to Directv source when it comes to some of the regional sports networks and at times ESPN.  If you create a buffer by pausing live TV for just a second or two and then play again, this particular microstutter issue vanishes most of the time which points to Directv problem.   This is separate from the bad judder issue of the TV itself.

0 Likes
tjg0260
Student
Options

I have Xfinity and it seems my issues are noticeablye worse on live sports. Totally unacceptable. I will try the pause thing to see if that might help in my situation

0 Likes
FernandoFrancoo
First Poster
Options

Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that I finnally contactes Samsung. They checked my tv and agree with me about the bad Judder issue. 

I replaced it with and older version (MU8500) and it works way better. Even though the picture doesn’t look stunning as the Q8C, the truth is that it looks very good as well (4K obviously), and the motion is like a thousand times better. 

Motion issues are the worse, so I preferred to sacrifice a bit of image but have a smooth experience.

have a nice one.

0 Likes