Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QE65Q9FNA Smart TV turns Dumb when you move abroad

(Topic created on: 09-02-2020 06:18 PM)
DaSpider
Apprentice
Options

Last year I moved with my family to Moscow and a few days ago I started getting the message "This TV is not fully functional in this region", turning my £2000 Smart TV in a £2000 Dumb TV. I can no longer watch Netflix, Youtube or do anything but watch Russian television, in Russian, language no one speaks in my household. I found out that casting Netflix/Youtube from my Galaxy Note 10 actually starts the TV apps, that means they are still installed and operational, just can't be launched from the Smart Hub. This is a uber douche move, even from Samsung, famous for harassing its customers. I hope this can be solved, otherwise I have no option but to spend another £1000 to ship this TV back to the retailer, never buying another Samsung product again or letting anyone I know make this mistake.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
AndrewL
Options
@DaSpider: If the TV was purchased outside your current region then this can create compatibility issues, due to software/hardware variances and regional licensing restrictions. You could try performing a factory reset on the device to see if you're able to set the region to Russia during the initial setup, although I can't guarantee that this option will be available to you.

Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Reset
0 Likes
DaSpider
Apprentice
Options

I moved to Moscow more than a year ago, the TV was working flawlessly until this February 4th, when the message started to appear. This seems like just an arbitrary decision from Samsung, to what end, can't say. Maybe trying to prevent me from bringing my belongings with me as I move around? Maybe thinking I will just buy a new TV set? This is the kind of corporate greed that hurts the company credibility and costs customers. 

I tried resetting the TV as instructed, which made things much worse. Now it refuses to set up basic TV functionality that was still working, like sources, game mode and ambient mode. So, thanks, I guess. 

I'm done waiting for my brand new devices to catch on fire, blow up or just stop working for no reason. Samsung lost yet another customer.

0 Likes