Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QE55Q80R diagonal lines

(Topic created on: 26-02-2020 10:15 AM)
iFL
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

I bought new tv and I am noticing diagonal lines when looking at tv from side (see attached images). Lines are visible only on grey/darker colors and they are in all sources (satelite, youtube, netflix). In picture test lines are not visible. 

On RTINGS mentioned something similar: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled

"We observed some weird diagonal stripes that are visible when you look at the screen from up close and from the left."

Its really anoying to watch tv from side because of these lines. I tried reseting settings, change various pictures modes and nothing helped. These lines only disapear with game mode turned on when watching content through playstation.

Today, I was back to shop and looked to another 80R there and there were same diagonal lines.

Could it be software problem? Or how can i get rid of these lines?

974321BC-CD90-4C55-89B1-8793AA00B531.jpeg

254 REPLIES 254
Conrad101
Explorer
Options

@cyberyoshi wrote:

The technician assured me that the bug had been noticed at Samsung. The update should come out in the middle of March. The error can also be rectified on site by a technician. With the settings in the service menu for technicians.

Ah, hopefully it is coming then. Anyway, I ended up giving in and opening a support ticket and I pointed the support person to this forum and he seems adamant that this is not something well known by Samsung and he knew nothing of a coming update for March, but this was a level 1 support person I was talking to, so who knows. Probably a lot of miscommunication going on as is typical with these large companies.

I am suppose to get a call back from a level 2 support technician to do further troubleshooting, though I dont know what there is left to troubleshoot. I have already tried everything from swapping out hdmi cables, trying different inputs and input devices, seeing if the lines were visible using the Tv's apps, plugging in a external storage device and seeing if its visible on movies played back from that; you name it I've tried it.

I really dont want to have to have this panel replaced either as it actually has pretty good uniformity with no noticible DSE and no dead pixels to speak off, unlike the last 3 panels I had in the Q8FN for which this Q80R is a replacement. Seems like it's a real lottery when it comes to good panels on these TVs. Hopefully I can get them to send out a technician to perform the service menu solution you provided before trying to replace anything.

Out of curiosity though, when the technician changed those values in the service menu did you notice any difference to image quality? I'm particularly curious about that gamma setting change.

Conrad101
Explorer
Options

@Jordanjj1991 wrote:

Samsung have replaced my q80r with a q90r all because of some software error then. I'm pleased with that!

Oh man! I'd gladly take a Q90R as a replacement but there's no way they will do that for me lol!  They really should though given how much ***** I've been through with the first TV and now this. Nearly 3 months this is going on now.

Ajbakes1
Student
Options

Ok people, it seems Samsung have finally figured it out. Today an engineer arrived from Martin Dawes with a USB containing a firmware update. 2 mins later the lines are gone! 

I was kinda hoping for a Q90R replacement buy I'm happy the lines are no longer! Seems there is hope, although I doubt Samsung will accept responsibility and will just send out these USB'S eventually with ***** proof instructions for everyone to update - I say that because the instructions on the sheet the engineer had were next to useless!

B0257319-2AAF-42EA-B6DA-41968C586A09.jpeg

101126EE-2EE9-49EA-8045-CC9DF1604083.jpeg

Conrad101
Explorer
Options

Thanks for letting us know mate. So its definitely a software problem on samsungs part then. They have organised a technician to come out and verfiy/repair the problem but I might get in contact with the repair company beforehand and point them towards your post. Hopefully they can obtain the same firmware fix on a usb stick before visiting to save some time. All these issues ive had with last tv and now this.....its just been dragging out far too long.

jdp117
Navigator
Options

@Ajbakes1 That's great! If I had known it could be fixed this way I wouldn't have sent mine back to be honest. The replacement Q85R I received in turn developed dead pixels which spread across the screen after only 6 days of ownership so I sent that back too. Waiting for my refund now. Just wish Samsung were clearer and quicker to get to the bottom of this issue. I wouldn't have sent mine back if I knew the fix was as easy as updating the firmware. Now I'm reluctant to go back to Samsung because of the whole experience. Three dodgy Q80 series TVs and some really poor customer service has made me not want to ever buy a Samsung product again! 

Ajbakes1
Student
Options

If you go into your TV settings menu, and check your current software version, I would hazard a guess most are the 1351 as mine was, my auto updates are on and it hadn't upgraded to the 1352 which was done through this visit. That would tell you the situation could potentially be fixed if they have truly identified the problem. 

I think the dead pixel experience can happen to any TV so that really is unlucky I think and feel for you in that situation. 

Samsung customer service is awful, but to be expected  as they are either told not to admit anything and just record the problem and pass it on or are given no information and told to follow a standard protocol. As they are not based in this country and English not being their first language, their interactions with other people are going to be basic at best. 

Anyway, I do believe the end is in sight. Did my first stint with the TV in a darker room last night, various input sources, streaming and normal Sky viewing and no lines 😊

Hope you all get there soon 👍

jdp117
Navigator
Options

@Ajbakes1 If I remember rightly my software version was 1335, so I could have potentially had a firmware update fix too. It's just been so annoying because the Q80 is honestly a fantastic TV with a great picture and great local dimming, much better than other LEDs on the market. It's the first "high end" TV I've bought in a long time and I was so excited to use it. It just shocked me how unwilling they were to help at first. To get the initial replacement for the Q80 was a lot of effort, and then to get a refund on the Q85... That was a struggle. They just did not want to help. 

I'm glad there's a fix for it now though. Just have to decide what to do. I feel like I can't go back to Samsung but that does not leave you with much else to chose from in terms of other LED TVs if you aren't willing to risk OLED burn in. 

Hankoman
Journeyman
Options

Mine is an QE55Q82RAT and it has the same issue as well. Waiting for the software upgrade.

Conrad101
Explorer
Options

Ok. So the technicians came today.  Instead of Samsung giving them the new firmware on a USB stick, they were given some instruction sheets for changing specific settings in the service menu.  These settings were the exact same ones mentioned in 's posts.

- WB Movie -> ON

- all Gamma Settings -> 0

The lines are gone but I may have noticed a slight elevation in the black levels when using movie mode with HDR.  Its more so evident when looking at the letterbox bars on movies.  It could be just my imagination but I'm sure I remember those blacks being a little more deeper.  It's not a deal breaker as the blacks are only slightly worse and SDR image quality appears to be the same as before, but I think perhaps there has been a small compromise in order to remove these lines; so this fix might just be more of a work-around than a proper solution.  Overall I'm still pretty happy with the image now that the lines are gone, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has noticed any differences in image quality.

Update: Ok. So after doing some more testing I've discovered the slightly elevated black levels in HDR content appears to occur when using Windows 10's built in HDR as apposed to using madVR to passthrough HDR metadata directly to the display with MPC-HC. There seems to be a difference in the way tonemapping is done when the HDR metadata is sent to the OS instead of directly to the display. Also noticed that when using madVR to bypass the OS the colours are a bit less saturated when compared to letting Windows 10 handle the HDR. With Windows 10 HDR turned on the colours are a little more vibrant, and seem to have a bit more pop to them, but at the sacrifice of slightly elevated black levels.

Anyway, it appears the service menu fix is not causing it afterall so all good!  :smiling-face:

Hankoman
Journeyman
Options
My TV got the uppdate today, lines are still there. 1352 did not fix the issue. QE55Q82RAT.