Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QE55Q80R diagonal lines

(Topic created on: 19-02-2020 09:20 AM)
iFL
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

I bought new tv and I am noticing diagonal lines when looking at tv from side (see attached images). Lines are visible only on grey/darker colors and they are in all sources (satelite, youtube, netflix). In picture test lines are not visible. 

On RTINGS mentioned something similar: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled

"We observed some weird diagonal stripes that are visible when you look at the screen from up close and from the left."

Its really anoying to watch tv from side because of these lines. I tried reseting settings, change various pictures modes and nothing helped. These lines only disapear with game mode turned on when watching content through playstation.

Today, I was back to shop and looked to another 80R there and there were same diagonal lines.

Could it be software problem? Or how can i get rid of these lines?

974321BC-CD90-4C55-89B1-8793AA00B531.jpeg

254 REPLIES 254
Pedpin
Navigator
Options

Dear Diagonal Friends,

Soryy to only give feedback now, but I was out working so was not possibel to give you feedback.

So after a initial panel replacemnte that did not correct the problem, the Samsnung suplier went for a second replacemnte, that also did not result.

So they ask to take the TV to their lab, what I autorize.

After several tests and a week in the lab, they got to the conclusion that the problem its the main board in the TV, please have in mind that my model its a Q85, meaning with an external one conect box. All the electronic its in the one conect, but not the image processing that its in the TV itself, its the borda where the cable fro the one conect conects to the TV.

They invite me to go to the Lab to checj the TV, and I confirm that the problem was gone.

So my finla thougts:

- the Sansung hotline worked as was suposed, tried to make a remote diagnotsics and foward the issue to the external companies that work for Samsung,

- the extrenal compnay, made an excelent job and always kept contcta with me giving me informations about the tests,

-what i am still surprised its with samsnung central HQ, aftr several customers feedbacks, and problems in a lot of coutries, they never showed deep interset to support us, and even alowing some support center to say that we were crazy to see some lignes.

For now my probelm its solved, but it took one month, and a lot of my time....

I think that Sansung should compensate us for our active participating in the forum, and to give them feddback about a problem in their products, we allways made positive comments and we only need ours equipments working in the correct way.

Thank to all of you, with your participating was possibel to see that I was not alone, and you gave me positive feedback to continue.

I hope that all of you get the problem fixed.

I will be availbel to support all in the future with some coments.

Obrigado 

jdp117
Navigator
Options

Good day my fellow diagonals. It is with great regret  pleasure that I must announce that I am now departing the diagonal community. After 6 weeks of back and forth between myself, Samsung and Currys, I have finally received my replacement TV. I managed to get an exchange for a Q85 and there are no problems with diagonal lines whatsoever. As far as I know, the Q80 and the Q85 are the exact same television apart from the external One Connect box that comes with the Q85, meaning this could affect that model too, as @Pedpin wrote in his most recent post. 

My overall interaction with Samsung was very poor. The first stage of customer service is extremely tedious, as with this particular problem, the troubleshooting and tests they ask you to perform do not generate the correct, specific scenarios necessary to show the problem. Had I not demanded an engineer call out, I would have never had been able to get my television replaced. My advice to anyone reading this who has experienced the same problems is to be persistent with Samsung and ask for someone to come and see the problem for themselves as this might be the only way to prove to them that the television is faulty. Once they confirmed the state of the TV after the engineer visit, they authorised an exchage pretty quickly. 

It's a shame that Samsung have shown little remorse for this problem as it seems to be quite common, at least amongst a specific model assemebled during a specific time period. It would be nice if they compensated those affected because it has been almost 6 weeks between first contacting Samsung to finally receiving my replacement TV today. Not very good customer service to be honest. 

Anyway, I wish the rest of you good luck and I hope you can all find a resolution quickly. Thank you all for your continued support and activity on this thread. It has been very helpful. 

Jordanjj1991
Journeyman
Options

Hi all!

Seems like it takes us getting to the 5 to 6 weeks mark until Samsung finally just do what is necessary to give you a good resolution.

After been offered a q90r as a replacement a few weeks ago they kept telling me that they didn't actually have that in stock. After I spoke to many different people from the Samsung resolutions team I have a courier coming tommorow finally to deliver me a q90r.

I am actually thinking about adding up all the hours I've spent on the phone with different departments because I think the result will be astounding. After making two official complaints over the phone I asked to speak to a manager who I was told would call me back within 72 hours. I never actually received that call!

Although I do feel like they have given me a good outcome in the end, it's all the unlucky people that don't actually get a resolution at all that I am worried about.

I'll report back here with a conclusion when I feel like I am fully satisfied with my overall outcome. 

Take care all!

0 Likes
cyberyoshi
Apprentice
Options

Hello to each other,

i have good news for everyone. Samsung has recognized the problem. The technician was with me for the third time today. He has set a few values ​​in the service menu (only for service technicians) and the diagonal stripes have disappeared. He has set the following:

- WB Movie -> ON

- all Gamma Settings -> 0

In mid-March, Samsung will release an update that solves this problem.

I'm so happy! Good luck to everyone else

0 Likes
jdp117
Navigator
Options

@Jordanjj1991 wrote:

Hi all!

Seems like it takes us getting to the 5 to 6 weeks mark until Samsung finally just do what is necessary to give you a good resolution.

After been offered a q90r as a replacement a few weeks ago they kept telling me that they didn't actually have that in stock. After I spoke to many different people from the Samsung resolutions team I have a courier coming tommorow finally to deliver me a q90r.

I am actually thinking about adding up all the hours I've spent on the phone with different departments because I think the result will be astounding. After making two official complaints over the phone I asked to speak to a manager who I was told would call me back within 72 hours. I never actually received that call!

Although I do feel like they have given me a good outcome in the end, it's all the unlucky people that don't actually get a resolution at all that I am worried about.

I'll report back here with a conclusion when I feel like I am fully satisfied with my overall outcome. 

Take care all!

Samsung customer service has been absolutely woeful. I've also been promised call backs but never received them. The constant chasing up is what really annoys me, it's like they don't care enough about your problem to go out of their way to solve it. Even calling you back seems like a chore for them. 

Anyway, bad news for me. My replacement Q85R has developed another separate issue of itself. This is the third Samsung TV I've had since December 20th. I've wasted countless hours trying to liaise with Samsung about the various issues I've had, and now, my Q85R has this:

IMG_20200216_200127.jpg

Sometimes it's a solid black strip like in the picture, other times its multi coloured thing lines that cover the same area. This TV was meant to be a replacement for my previous Q80R which suffered the diagonal lines issue and it only arrived at my house 10 days ago. I explained this to Samsung but as it has been more than 28 days since the original transaction date (December 18th) they can't issue me a refund even though I received the set less than two weeks ago. 

Luckily, Currys were more sympathetic and have granted me a full refund. I would have thought after THREE broken QLED TVs, Samsung would do much more than they have to try and make things better for me, like offer me a replacement + a free soundbar, or an upgrade to a Q90R. But I spoke to the manager and even she was reluctant to help me and kept saying they were just following company policy. I am so angry at Samsung and I will never buy another Samsung product again. 

F*%k Samsung. 

vincentfr
Journeyman
Options

Hi all,

The third party technician sent by Samsung finally came today. He mentionned to a remote technician that he already had the problem in the past. He replaced the panel, and the problem seems to be sold. Finally!

Thanks to all who helped, and good luck to those who are still in trouble with this TV !

QBee
Explorer
Options

@cyberyoshi

- WB Movie -> ON
- all Gamma Settings -> 0

does it mean gamma setting is off and TV is always in movie mode?

0 Likes
Conrad101
Explorer
Options

Is this firmware update truly coming? So its not a hardware fault then? Just software related?

I have just recieved a Q80R 55 inch as a replacement to my previous Q8FN after having 2 panel replacements under warranty for that model (Had multiple dead pixels on all of them as well as atrocious DSE). I have just noticed that it exhibits the same diagonal banding, except when using game mode.

Just wanted some more clarification on the update since I've already been through such an ordeal with the last model dragging out nearly 3 months and I dont really feel like starting up another support ticket only to go through the whole rigmarole again unless its absolutely necessary; especially if theres a firmware fix on the way.

Edit: Interesting development. I was doing a clean install of the graphics driver on my pc (I use the Tv as a monitor). After it reboots the resolution is set lower before installing the new driver begins. I noticed that during this stage of driver installtion the diagonal banding / moire effect or whatever you want to call it was visible despite the Tv still being in game mode. As the driver is installing the resolution reverts back to its native 3840 x 2160 and the banding is gone at this point, but it will still show when turning game mode off. I tried manually lowering the resolution after the driver was finished installing with game mode on to see if the banding would show again. It did not; but as soon as you disable game mode and run the movie preset its back again. Weird....

Edit: Can confirm that PC Input mode doesnt exhibit the band lines even with game mode off. Every other input with game mode off does have it of course.

Banding PC desktop.jpg

Banding 4k Movie.jpg

Banding 4k Movie 2.jpg

0 Likes
cyberyoshi
Apprentice
Options

The technician assured me that the bug had been noticed at Samsung. The update should come out in the middle of March. The error can also be rectified on site by a technician. With the settings in the service menu for technicians.

Jordanjj1991
Journeyman
Options

Samsung have replaced my q80r with a q90r all because of some software error then. I'm pleased with that!