Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QE55Q80R diagonal lines

(Topic created on: 02-02-2020 02:49 PM)
iFL
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

I bought new tv and I am noticing diagonal lines when looking at tv from side (see attached images). Lines are visible only on grey/darker colors and they are in all sources (satelite, youtube, netflix). In picture test lines are not visible. 

On RTINGS mentioned something similar: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled

"We observed some weird diagonal stripes that are visible when you look at the screen from up close and from the left."

Its really anoying to watch tv from side because of these lines. I tried reseting settings, change various pictures modes and nothing helped. These lines only disapear with game mode turned on when watching content through playstation.

Today, I was back to shop and looked to another 80R there and there were same diagonal lines.

Could it be software problem? Or how can i get rid of these lines?

974321BC-CD90-4C55-89B1-8793AA00B531.jpeg

254 REPLIES 254
jdp117
Navigator
Options

@vincentfr wrote:

Thanks Tom931, totally agree. They refuse to proceed further if I do not send the pics, therefore I sent them despite their total uselessness.
Will keep this page updated - but to so far my experience with Samsung France customer service is simply terrible.

I had the exact same problem. The best thing you can do is demand for an engineer to come out. I don't know how it works in France, but in the UK if you ask for an engineer visit, they will send someone from a local TV repairs shop who is a qualified brand technician (Samsung in this case) to test your TV. This was the quickest way I could get Samsung to see that I had a fault with my TV even though the stupid test images don't show the problem themselves. 

After that they sent it off the statement from the engineer visit their technical department and they were able to confirm that the TV was faulty and needed replacing. I was still under the 28 days return policy so a repair wasn't optional and they gave me a number to give to the retailer to authorise and exchange. Now I'm just waiting on the retailer to get their act together so they can confirm a delivery date for the replacement TV which is taking forever.

Not a great experience overall and I'm frankly disappointed in Samsung for being so reluctant to help initially. If I didn't ask for an engineer to visit, it's unlikely they would have authorised a replacement as they said they could not see an issue with the TV from the pictures I sent them. Awful customer service to be honest. 

vincentfr
Journeyman
Options

I had an answer from Samsung yesterday :

"your device is compliant."

Absolutely unbelievable. They have a picture of their test screen that shows the ***** lines (thanks to Nicolas974, we can see them in Game Mode), and my EUR 1000+ TV is "compliant".

Terrible experience. I dont believe that I will ever again buy a Samsung product.

Tom931
Journeyman
Options

Hello,

A technician visited me and replaced the panel today, no more diagonal lines !

But i don't know if i'm being paranoid or something but i feel like my tv looks like it reflects everything way more than before,

Can anyone confirm that these reflections are normal for a q80 ?

20200203_115620.jpg

20200203_115725.jpg

20200203_115756.jpg

ph_7
Journeyman
Options

Normally the easy way to spot the wide angle filter is to look at a bright light, it should be spread across your display as it diffusues the reflection, if it is just a perfect 'mirror-like' reflection, then maybe they have put the wrong panel in.

I'm sure someone will post a picture of the normal refelction soon for you, i'm looking through my phone now to see if i have any

vincentfr
Journeyman
Options

Tom931 : looks much more reflective than mine. The concept of this TV is its lack of reflection... I would tend to think they installed you a Q60 or Q70 pannel, but I am not an expert.

ph_7
Journeyman
Options

I didn't have on eon my phone, but look at the rtings review image..

q80r-bright-room-off-small.jpg

Does yours do that?

Tom931
Journeyman
Options

Thanks ph_7 and vincentfr !

I'll give it a few days of testing and viewing, i'm probably a bit paranoid after the digonal lines thing and probably looking for something else to complain about

But it does look a bit too reflective for a q80 panel as you said...

It kinda does like the rtings pictures but it's a bit different, a bit more apparent i'd say

It probaly is just me going crazy but i'll keep an eye on it

Good luck to everyone to get the problem fixed and thanks for the help and support ! I'll stick arround !

jdp117
Navigator
Options
That looks pretty reflective in comparison to mine. My TV is in my living room and it gets really bright in there when the sun is out and I get virtually zero reflections, it's actually a great feature of the television. Yours looks way more reflective. I'd give it a few more days of testing. Honestly wouldn't even know where to go from here though, like how can you prove that they replaced it with the wrong panel? It just sounds like a huge pain in the a** to me. Samsung have really outdone themselves with this whole diagonal lines issue. I don't think I'll be getting another Samsung device after I'm done with my TV. Honestly just wish I got the C9.
Tom931
Journeyman
Options

@jdp117 wrote:
That looks pretty reflective in comparison to mine. My TV is in my living room and it gets really bright in there when the sun is out and I get virtually zero reflections, it's actually a great feature of the television. Yours looks way more reflective. I'd give it a few more days of testing. Honestly wouldn't even know where to go from here though, like how can you prove that they replaced it with the wrong panel? It just sounds like a huge pain in the a** to me. Samsung have really outdone themselves with this whole diagonal lines issue. I don't think I'll be getting another Samsung device after I'm done with my TV. Honestly just wish I got the C9.

Hey,

Thanks for your message, the reflections definitely surprised me when i saw them but yeah, don't know if i'll ever be able to prove anything. Doesn't bother me in my setup to be honest but the fact that i might have had a downgrade is irritating. Diagonal lines are gone though so that's a fair trade i guess. I'm definitely going to test that thoroughly .

Yeah, i'm tired of samsung too, i got the TV because i had a good deal on it but i feel like the small difference i could have paid in order to get something else like a c9 would definitely have been worth it ...

Pedpin
Navigator
Options

Dear Tom931

To be honest I think that is quite dificult for them to replace the panel with a diferent type, for several reasons.

First the  external border between the Q60, Q70 and Q80 are diferente, also as you probably saw the panels are like a closed box, meaning that they just replace the electronic bords outside the panel, the panel arrive from fatory closed, and the models(60,70,80) have diferente caracteritics making dificult to have them compatible with each other.