Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QE55Q80R diagonal lines

(Topic created on: 02-01-2020 07:10 PM)
iFL
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

I bought new tv and I am noticing diagonal lines when looking at tv from side (see attached images). Lines are visible only on grey/darker colors and they are in all sources (satelite, youtube, netflix). In picture test lines are not visible. 

On RTINGS mentioned something similar: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled

"We observed some weird diagonal stripes that are visible when you look at the screen from up close and from the left."

Its really anoying to watch tv from side because of these lines. I tried reseting settings, change various pictures modes and nothing helped. These lines only disapear with game mode turned on when watching content through playstation.

Today, I was back to shop and looked to another 80R there and there were same diagonal lines.

Could it be software problem? Or how can i get rid of these lines?

974321BC-CD90-4C55-89B1-8793AA00B531.jpeg

254 REPLIES 254
jdp117
Navigator
Options

With my first Q80 return, I found Samsung's customer service to be excellent so I wouldn't worry too much about that at the moment. As for getting your TV returned, if you get authorisation for a return / refund from Samsung, then you will have to discuss returning it with the retailer. When I returned my first Q80, Currys said I didn't need to worry about the packaging or having unboxed the TV so I guess it might be worth trying to organise something with whoever  you bought the TV from. They might come with a box to put it in if you get it collected or something. 

Wakcode
Pioneer
Options

@jdp117 wrote:

With my first Q80 return, I found Samsung's customer service to be excellent so I wouldn't worry too much about that at the moment. As for getting your TV returned, if you get authorisation for a return / refund from Samsung, then you will have to discuss returning it with the retailer. When I returned my first Q80, Currys said I didn't need to worry about the packaging or having unboxed the TV so I guess it might be worth trying to organise something with whoever  you bought the TV from. They might come with a box to put it in if you get it collected or something. 

Thanks , that's fantastic news , I got mine from curry's , however there was one concern I have . Curry's have a 28 day cooling off period which started at the date of the order . Samsung told me that if I get a replacement the 28 day cooling off wil still run from the date of purchase then the warranty eg repair before exchange kicks in   🤷🏻‍♂️
not sure if that is right or not . 

0 Likes
Pedpin
Navigator
Options

Hello

I just recieved a phone call from Customer service from Samsung Portugal. 

They checked the pictures and they do not know what is the problem.

They will raise the topic to a Central Samsung team( probably in specific team) and hope to have a reply in 2 days meaning beginning next week.

Anyway they inform me that probably they will go for a panel exchange. They said that even that the model ita out for one year only now they are getting this feedback so can be any recent update in the production.

They seemed very honest and I can not complain, I contact them in the morning and they called me now.

Just a side information, I shared with them this discussion topic and they were surprised with the number of similar problems.

We need to keep pushing, if the central expert teams get the same feedback for several regions, they probably give more attention to the issue.

I will keep you informed. 

Wakcode
Pioneer
Options

@Pedpin wrote:

Hello

I just recieved a phone call from Customer service from Samsung Portugal. 

They checked the pictures and they do not know what is the problem.

They will raise the topic to a Central Samsung team( probably in specific team) and hope to have a reply in 2 days meaning beginning next week.

Anyway they inform me that probably they will go for a panel exchange. They said that even that the model ita out for one year only now they are getting this feedback so can be any recent update in the production.

They seemed very honest and I can not complain, I contact them in the morning and they called me now.

Just a side information, I shared with them this discussion topic and they were surprised with the number of similar problems.

We need to keep pushing, if the central expert teams get the same feedback for several regions, they probably give more attention to the issue.

I will keep you informed. 

That's fantastic news 

jdp117
Navigator
Options

So I just had an interesting 2 hour long conversation with Samsung support... Basically showed them pictures of the problem I'm experiencing, did some other troubleshooting and the person on the phone liased with the technicians and they said that there wasn't a problem with the TV despite the obvious diagonal lines streaming through every image. It doesn't look as prominent on a picture, but in real life as everyone here knows from experience, it is extremely distracting.

One of the solutions they gave me was to just "not watch content from that source." Ridiculous.

I also directed them to this forum but they didn't seem interested and said "we have no involvement with forums or community message boards." I tried explaining that it's more about the bigger picture and that this might be the start of an issue with the production of these panels but she didn't really seem interested. 

So yeah, not a great experience with this particular employee, despite what I said earlier about them. But after a big old rant and moan I eventually managed to book an engineer visit for next week so hopefully some progress can be made from that. I'll keep everyone updated! 

Nicolas974
Journeyman
Options

On my tv, I can see the stripes even with the game mode turned on...the level of my backlight was set at around 30. 

iFL
Pioneer
Options

@jdp117 

"One of the solutions they gave me was to just "not watch content from that source."

It would meant for me to not watch TV at all as it is on all sources. 

But thanks for the info. Will wait for updates ;). 

Pedpin
Navigator
Options
I also manage to configure my cable box to game mode, and the stripes are still there.
In game mode the picture stays more bright and the lines are more soft but still existing.
I tried every single setting in the image settings and even that the stripes are some times more soft or hard they are there.

Its hanoing has someone said when we notice them we only see them... our mind it's always looking for them...
Zoid
Journeyman
Options

I honestly cannot believe that they went with that response.

I don't understand why it seems to be so hard to confirm that this is an issue or not, rather than go around the houses for so long...

Zoid
Journeyman
Options
Actually just realised, I am having the issue with the 55Q85R but assuming they're built on the same tech