Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QE55Q80R diagonal lines

(Topic created on: 02-01-2020 10:18 AM)
iFL
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

I bought new tv and I am noticing diagonal lines when looking at tv from side (see attached images). Lines are visible only on grey/darker colors and they are in all sources (satelite, youtube, netflix). In picture test lines are not visible. 

On RTINGS mentioned something similar: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled

"We observed some weird diagonal stripes that are visible when you look at the screen from up close and from the left."

Its really anoying to watch tv from side because of these lines. I tried reseting settings, change various pictures modes and nothing helped. These lines only disapear with game mode turned on when watching content through playstation.

Today, I was back to shop and looked to another 80R there and there were same diagonal lines.

Could it be software problem? Or how can i get rid of these lines?

974321BC-CD90-4C55-89B1-8793AA00B531.jpeg

254 REPLIES 254
Wakcode
Pioneer
Options

Hello , 

this morning I have called Samsung . 
they took me through all the trouble shooting guide which I had already done. 
they then had a live feed from my phone to show the diagonal lines, which they agreed were there. 

Their only real response was to send a technician to repair the TV , which is kinda the decent and right thing to do. 

personaly I feel a product like this which is two weeks old should not need a repair and some how deflates the excitement of a new to TV and almost gives you a reconditioned brand new TV, which are usually sold at a discounted price . 

this repair option is not for me. So I insisted it is replaced . 
Samsung then gave me a code to take to the retailer who's responsibility it is as they sold it.

this code leads the retailer to the conversation I have just had with Samsung .

Samsung claim they have had no other reports whatsoever on this matter, I then drew their attention the this feed and also some of the reviews of the product. 

personaly I am not sure if I want the in convenience of getting a replacement setting it up and having the same issue then having to go through the whole replacement process again. I am so disappointed of the whole situation and also with Samsung attitude that they are happy to let a customer move to another brand so easily. 

Personally I feel they should send their technician to view the issue armed with a replacement, set the replacement up themselves (so as to be sure The tv is set up correctly . 

after over 15 years of Samsung ownership it seems that I have to say good bye to what I thought was one of the top brands on the market. It seems I/we are just a minority blip on the massive customer base and are happy to say good bye . 
i think reviews on line by me of this product are an important thing for me to do, as , 
The very selling point of this product of improved viewing angle is complete rubbish, and is a devious method of selling this product, which clearly isn't ready for the consumer. 

Good luck users 

iFL
Pioneer
Options

I am still waiting for Samsung technician. I hope they will resolve this issue (its 2 weeks already) because the picture is really bad from angle. Even my parents cheap 10 years TV show better picture than this 1000+ EUR TV.

Btw. I doupt it is caused by the optical layer to improve viewing angles because Q90 has it too and it does not have this issue. Also these diagonal stripes disappear when game mode is turned on so it is really strange. It looks like software problem but who knows. Maybe in game mode some hardware which is causing these stripes is turned off. 

iFL
Pioneer
Options

Hi @QBee  Have you tried to turn on game mode if stripes will disappear?

Pedpin
Navigator
Options

I open a ticket on Samsung support(portugal) and they already ask me to send some pictures. 

I will keep you updated with news.

Wakcode
Pioneer
Options
Game mode no stripes.
0 Likes
Wakcode
Pioneer
Options
Samsung tech support line can call you on your mobile and access your camera and then take screen shots of the issue .
Personally I not prepared to wait weeks for this to be resolved .
0 Likes
jdp117
Navigator
Options

I completely agree. I think it is a huge design flaw of the Q80R. The ultra wide viewing angle was one of the main reasons I got this TV, as well as the anti reflective layer, as well as other features. But honestly the lines are horrendous and are extremely distracting. The silly thing is, is that with my experience, you don't even need to be at that wide of an angle before you start to see it. A metre off centre from about 3 metres away from the screen and you will start to see it. It's a terrible flaw of an otherwise incredible television. I'm going to get onto Samsung after work with the aim of getting a refund. This is the second Q80R I've had issues with in as little as two weeks, (the first one had issues with the infrared sensor on the set and couldn't detect any input from the remotes) so I think I'll be switching brands when I (hopefully) get my refund. 

jdp117
Navigator
Options
The Game Mode thing makes me think this can be fixed with a software update. My theory is that when Game Mode is enabled, it disables or bypasses a processor or chip that activates the optical layer that enhances viewing angles because it assumes the user will be sitting in front of the TV and not off to the side. This could also be done to activate FreeSync and reduce input lag or something. It would make sense as to why Game Mode gets rid of the diagonal stripes. Streaming Netflix or Prime Video through my PS4 when Game Mode is activated completely gets rid of the stripes at any angle.
Wakcode
Pioneer
Options

@jdp117 wrote:

I completely agree. I think it is a huge design flaw of the Q80R. The ultra wide viewing angle was one of the main reasons I got this TV, as well as the anti reflective layer, as well as other features. But honestly the lines are horrendous and are extremely distracting. The silly thing is, is that with my experience, you don't even need to be at that wide of an angle before you start to see it. A metre off centre from about 3 metres away from the screen and you will start to see it. It's a terrible flaw of an otherwise incredible television. I'm going to get onto Samsung after work with the aim of getting a refund. This is the second Q80R I've had issues with in as little as two weeks, (the first one had issues with the infrared sensor on the set and couldn't detect any input from the remotes) so I think I'll be switching brands when I (hopefully) get my refund. 

So just to confirm your first Q80R did not have this issue , just the remote ? 

0 Likes
Pedpin
Navigator
Options
To test game mode , only with a game console? Or can we force it in any other way?