Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

QE55Q7FAMT Scheduled Recording

(Topic created on: 11-12-2017 09:29 PM)
Freck
Apprentice
Options

Having a few issues using scheduled recording on a QE55Q7FAMT , I have read a few threads with this issue with other models so seems to be a common problem. Bought it in August from Currys but only got round to trying the recording option for the first time last week. Firmware updated to 1151, factory reset, several powered drives tried with no success, auto tuning off etc etc. It appears that the usb port lets the hdd go to sleep and doesn't waken it for recording, whether scheduled or live, it works if I restart the hdd manually though. Anyone got a fix to this yet, I have samsung support on the case after 4 frustrating days with no replies to email, call centre staff pretending they can't hear me, calls hanging up, not loggin my call, eventually got a reference number today, awaiting there next move as it appears there is a 24hr wait after trying an "over the phone" fix.

0 Likes

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

We have this TV and it is working absolutely fine so far for recording.  The issue is probably the hard-drive power management support as I've had similar problems on a PC before where a USB drive doesn't get recognised or start up correctly after the PC has powered it off.

I'm using a 2.5" Seagate Barracuda drive in this enclosure ORICO 2.5 Inch Aluminium USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure Case for 9.5mm & 7mm (search for this on Amazon) and no problems at all, it shuts down with the TV and turns on when required, and is powered from the One box just fine, so no need for extra power adapters.  

Regards

Phil

View solution in context

Solution
Freck
Apprentice
Options
Hi Phil, I grabbed the bull by the horns and tried another hdd with the "sleep" option turned off, all seems good up to now with scheduled and timeshift both working well, hopefully it will last, thanks for the nudge to try yet another HDD, appreciated

View solution in context

27 REPLIES 27
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Don't hold your breath, take it back and get your money back and get a TV that will work. I have a 65KS9500 and this issue has been ongoing since August, had a new one connect and main board. It sometimes does work, but only for acouple of weeks. The support has been very poor, and you have to always chase after them, they never ring back even when they promise to do so. If you can return then do.

0 Likes
Solution
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

We have this TV and it is working absolutely fine so far for recording.  The issue is probably the hard-drive power management support as I've had similar problems on a PC before where a USB drive doesn't get recognised or start up correctly after the PC has powered it off.

I'm using a 2.5" Seagate Barracuda drive in this enclosure ORICO 2.5 Inch Aluminium USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure Case for 9.5mm & 7mm (search for this on Amazon) and no problems at all, it shuts down with the TV and turns on when required, and is powered from the One box just fine, so no need for extra power adapters.  

Regards

Phil

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

Regards

Phil

I have ks9500 which yesterday stop recording again! Did a factory reset and now working, which is not a solution and I know from experience that it will stop again. It has now left me with the only option but to start legal proceedings for a refund from DA Tech! It is not the USB drives as I have tried 4 different ones, which all worked perfectly in my PC. It is a problem with TV! Not the drives, "multiplex" or any thing or anyone else you can blame. There are to many people with this issue, and USB drives either work or don't, it's the TV that supplie the power.

It just like Samsung saying they will support HGL but not the only broadcaster that is testing HGL. That means to me they are not supporting HGL! 

0 Likes
Solution
Freck
Apprentice
Options
Hi Phil, I grabbed the bull by the horns and tried another hdd with the "sleep" option turned off, all seems good up to now with scheduled and timeshift both working well, hopefully it will last, thanks for the nudge to try yet another HDD, appreciated
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Samsung agreed to replace my ks9500 with a Q9F which recorded fine for a couple of weeks and it has also stopped recording. It still does time shift and records what you are watching. If it was aproblem with the drive why did it work for a couple of weeks. I also have another issue with this tv in a very poor hdr dul picture and dark shadows around the corners. Samsung have agreed to give me a full refund so now looking for something else.

0 Likes
Freck
Apprentice
Options
Still all good with my Q7 and happy with it Paul, sorry to hear your problem couldn't be solved but glad to hear you got a full refund, eventually. May your new tv bring you less hassle, whichever make you go with.
0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

[quote]If it was aproblem with the drive why did it work for a couple of weeks.[/quote]

You could turn that round and say "If it was a problem with the TV why did it work for a couple of weeks".

Clearly something is going wrong, and these things can be hard to track down, but Samsung don't really seem to put much effort into supporting their TVs and I suspect their development team is under resourced and busy on the "next new and improved model" for existing models to get any time on fixing them.

Good to hear you got a refund.

This is my first and last Samsung TV.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I think we all know about the smart connect miss selling but I got my refund from Samsung because the KS9500 would not record scheduled programs. I know this has been discussed elsewhere and everything but the TV was blamed, but I have proof that it is a known fault with the KS and even the 2017 Q series.  I have explained and shown the emails from the Samsung UK CEO's office where they clearly accept there is a problem and they could not fix it. I had an exchange for the Q9F which had the same problem (had a very dull picture as well). 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/td-p/358805/page/52

Under the consumer regs if you have owned the item for over 6 months you have to show the fault was there when purchased (I do not agree with this but that is the law). Samsung admits it is a known fault so no probs there. You have to give the retailer up to two attempts to fix the problem and as Samsung could not fix it then I think that means it can not be fixed. For all those with extended warranties then have a go and for those without you can still make a claim under the regs. There is also section 75 credit card regs which again this covers.

I think because most people do not use the TV recording feature which they do advertise, and use Sky or Virgin like I use to. It was when I got rid of Sky I found the fault, and to see if your TV is affected just try setting up a scheduled recording on to a USB drive or stick. If after a couple of weeks it stops recording then you have a scheduled recording fault.

Hope it helps

Pau

0 Likes
Waynimus
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277 I am encountering a similar issue with the 2018 QLED Q7FN with regards to failed recordings.

Sometimes it works, but often when I check for recorded shows many of them have failed.

Can you advise how you went about getting a refund for this particular issue?

I also have an ongoing dispute with Samsung with regards to my TV bearing in mind the Q7FN was a replacement for the KS7500. The first Q7FN had a cluster of dead pixels and a great picture. Samsung were initially good in their response and agreed to replace the TV, awaiting stock two weeks later.

In the meantime I was just increasingly impressed with the first TV. The replacement gets delivered and shockingly it is a big dissapointment. I have basically candle lights flashing in and out of view across the bottom of the screen, worse in HDR, but visible in both dark and lit room conditions. This was not a problem for the first TV.

Shockingly, Samsung refuse to acknowledge this as a fault, and despite the TV being brand new and a week old, they state that if they send an engineer for inspection that I must pay for this if they do not find in my favour.

This response has completely put me off Samsung. The first Q7FN was so impressive that I consider it to be the best TV I have ever owned, but now experiencing their poor customer support when things do not go smoothly, I'm more leaning towards just trying to get a refund and washing my hands of them.

They make life so difficult and frustrating with every follow-up email.

While I don't consider the TV Failed Recordings to be the biggest issue, if Samsung will acknowledge that, then I guess that's something. I am just shocked that they are not interested in the main fault.

I would greatly appreciate any input you can provide on the Failed Recordings issue, and any links to other more recent users who may have the same failed recordings issue on the 2018 QLEDs.

Cheers.