Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QE55Q6FAMT, HT-J5500 & Sky Q Set up Query - How do I take the sound from the Sky Q box?

(Topic created on: 04-06-2018 01:02 PM)
walkerislufc
First Poster
Options

Hello

I have recently upgraded my TV and discovered that I can not have the same connection setup and I had with my previous,  much older Samsung TV. My previous setup was this:

Hardware

Samsung 46in LCD TV (bought circa 2012 - unsure of the model number)

Samsung HT-J5500 5.1 Sound System 

Sky Q box

Old Set-up

HDMI cable FROM Sky Q TO TV

HDMI cable FROM Sound System TO TV

Opitcal Audio Cable FROM Sky Q TO Sound System

We found this gave us the best Dolby sound possible, utilising the rear speakers and giving us the full and varied sound offered by the Sky Q box. 

I then upgraded the TV last week (buying a QE55Q6FAMT) - literally unplugging one TV and setting up the new one in the exact same way - however the sound now seems to primarily come through the front speakers. The rear speakers no longer offer the surround sound offered by the previous set up.

I know the setup must have changed, as I have discovered I no longer need the Audio Optical cable from the Sky Q box to the Sound System, to hear the audio. On my previous setup, I would occasionally have to switch the Optical Audio cables from my PS4 and Sky Q, as the Sound System has only one Optical IN. I now no longer need ANY Optical Cables.

My current setup is:

HDMI cable FROM Sky Q TO TV

HDMI cable FROM Sound System to TV

I have tried running an Optical Cable from the Sky Q box to the TV and choosing the Optical option on the TV menu, but no audio is heard. I have also tried switcing off the AnyNet system, but this doesn't work either. The only option I have for Audio on the TV that works is Receiver (HDMI).

How do I get my Sound System/TV to take sound from an Audio Optical cable from the Sky Q box and not through the HDMI?

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @walkerislufc, may not directly answer your question however assuming  Soundbar is HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2, most would agree  best method is  Q HDMI to Soundbar and  then Soundbar HDMi ARC  to   TV HDMI  Arc (output of  the soundbar into the Tv input)  Ensure ARC is enabled in the Tv Menu.    General advice for Soundbars

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.