Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q9FN random reboot

(Topic created on: 29-12-2019 04:50 AM)
Statherian
Journeyman
Options

Hi, new to the forum.

My 4 month old 2018 Q9FN has started doing quick random reboots the last few days. It suddenly qoes black, displays the Samsung logo and then is back to the same input - takes about 3-4 seconds.  So far it has only done so while using my Xbox One X (which is annoying), but at random times - 1 time each evening. I've reattached all HDMI cables and the One Connect cable, and setup all inputs from scratch. I have not done a full reset yet, although I guess that's the next step. I'm on the latest firmware.

Anyone experienced the same? Is this the fist sign of a faulty One connect box?

353 REPLIES 353
WRB
Journeyman
Options

Disable auto low latency mode on the Xbox. These Samsung TVs will automatically turn game mode on when you start a game and off when you’re just using the Xbox for non-gaming. That’s how it works on my q9fn anyway.

edit: never mind. Apparently it does not do this. I swear it used to.

edit2: it appears that the behavior I described now only happens if you disable variable refresh rate (freesync) and enable auto low latency in the console. If you have freesync enabled on the Xbox with the TV set to auto, it now always stays in game mode. I wonder if this has something to do with the "fix" they implemented for the crashes.

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options

Agreed it would be a good idea to have the xbox control the tv. However I use a harmony one remote which controls over 8 items in my front room including smart lights ps4 and xbox one and the tv. Recently However once that.input is set in game mode you will always have to turn that mode off if you watch your apps via the console. This will always be an issue. So if you need to use the tv remote to turn off game mode when you watch apps through the.console then surely it's easier to just use the apps on the smart tv.  Which will not display in game mode

0 Likes
antoniovidaljr
Explorer
Options

I love the Q8FM but no HDMI 2.1 I wish I could have freesync with my 2080ti. I'm planing on buying Samsung the Q90R but no HDMI 2.1 unless they upgrade it through the box.   I hope Samsung gives us good news before the ACER PCG437K P 144hz 43" 4k monitor is released.

If I know before the release then my choice is Q90r, I just bought the Q8FM and I love it but I have a Nvidia 2080ti and gaming at 4k is not that great.   Image quality for everything else is amazing!   

Klamath
Apprentice
Options

I can confirm that the 1290.4 FW absolutely destroys the picture quality at least on Q9FN models... The brightness is down, colors are faded and Local dimming doesn't seem to work at all. For me, 1270.6 was perfect - not using freesync - but I have no option to downgrade the fw 😞

Masq
Navigator
Options

1290.4 sucks. I'm surprised more people haven't noticed how awful this update is. I'd rather have the better picture quality over FreeSync.

so over Samsung..

Chris123456
Apprentice
Options

I'm having random reboots also, but seems to be for different reasons than described previously in this post, I have freesync turned off.

I get an image of a red X through the one connect cable and then the tv restarts itself. sometimes after an hour, sometimes every few seconds.

Also- I can see vertical bars if I look very carefully when playing fast moving games on PS4, poor picture quality.

Needless to say I will not be buying another Samsung product...

Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options

To be honest not sure freesync works on the ps4

And to be honest from what you are describing it sounds more like a ps4 graphics chip problem rather than the tv otherwise you would see it on all sources.

Have you tried the ps4 on another 4k tv to see if the problem is still there? 

0 Likes
Chris123456
Apprentice
Options

It does it when not using the PS4 also, sorry I should have been more clear.

You are right- The PS4 does not use freesync, my point was only that freesync is not my issue.

0 Likes
Masq
Navigator
Options

Yeah, I have the vertical bars on my Q8FN also. Had to go through multiple panels before I got one that was semi acceptable. 

heres an old video I made with my first replacement panel:

https://youtu.be/RlUR_stxE6E

had to fight Samsung tooth and nail to get this one replaced. The new one still has awful DSE and slightly visible banding in some games.

I don't have the 1 connect box, so no idea about your reset issue

0 Likes
Chris123456
Apprentice
Options

TV no longer even turns on, it's completely buggered now lol.

0 Likes