Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q9FN random reboot

(Topic created on: 13-08-2019 06:39 PM)
Statherian
Journeyman
Options

Hi, new to the forum.

My 4 month old 2018 Q9FN has started doing quick random reboots the last few days. It suddenly qoes black, displays the Samsung logo and then is back to the same input - takes about 3-4 seconds.  So far it has only done so while using my Xbox One X (which is annoying), but at random times - 1 time each evening. I've reattached all HDMI cables and the One Connect cable, and setup all inputs from scratch. I have not done a full reset yet, although I guess that's the next step. I'm on the latest firmware.

Anyone experienced the same? Is this the fist sign of a faulty One connect box?

353 REPLIES 353
Gg81
Explorer
Options

I know it is impossible to make perfect television because these are already computers that are updated with software. There are problems with Windows PCs after certain upgrades, but there the manufacturers communicate with us and try to fix the problem as soon as possible! When q9fn came out, it was Samsung's most expensive high end device and they can't contact us to fix this problem! For months I can't use what I bought for a lot of money ...

0 Likes
Zuchtbulle666
Journeyman
Options

Just a little Info...

I did the factory reset on my tv and I have played xbox one x for some hours.

No reboots so far....

Maybe you guys should also do a factory reset and Post some Feedback here. I will continue gaming and Post more After some days of playing xbox one x.

Edit: If you try the factory reset dont forget to backup your TV Programm List on a usb stick. So you can put it back on your tv After factory reset. 

Masq
Navigator
Options
Oh, OK. Yes, I have only had this issue while playing Forza 6 with free sync enabled. I have not tried FIFA. I have played some other games without having this issue. Hopefully Samsung can fix this
0 Likes
Insanecubanboy
Apprentice
Options

Temporary solution, workaround, you can call anyway you like. I’m not defending Samsung. I said before that I hope they fix it soon. I also bought it mainly because of freesync, which is “new technology” for the TV’s. I mostly agree with you, and I would advise to direct your criticism to Samsung instead. 

0 Likes
WRB
Journeyman
Options

The problem only started after the firmware update that came out around May of this year. Before that I never had an issue. No amount of factory resetting, or swapping HDMI cables is going to work. Samsung broke FreeSync with the firmware update and they need to fix it via firmware update. However they obviously do not pay attention to these message boards, so I strongly suggest everyone here either call or chat with Samsung support and make it clear that you have this problem. Point them to this thread if needed to show that multiple people have the issue. They will try to make you do all of the standard trouble-shooting including factory reset. Hopefully with enough of us complaining they will note the issue and figure out a solution.  We need to make it clear that this is a big issue affecting multiple users.

BogD
Explorer
Options

I'm not criticizing you, sorry if it sounded that way. It annoys me that they're trying to excuse it by saying it's a new technology, when its implementation is no different to the one in monitors.

They have implemented it into these TVs through a firmware update (though the hardware was already there to make it possible, as freesync does need special hardware) more than a year ago imperfectly (flicker and not always working), but that's understandable, these caveats were listed in the fine print so that's okay I guess. But instead of improving it in subsequent updates, they release a (mandatory!!) firmware update that effectively breaks it. They've had freesync monitors and time to perfect it for years now.

TracyR
Options

@BogD , @Statherian , @WRB , @Insanecubanboy , @Masq 

Anyone still experiencing the issue can you drop me a private message with the following info:

1) Exact Game contents on which the customer is observing issue most often [e.g  FIFA'19 & Forza Horizon 4 etc.]

2) Xbox one X SW version [e.g  10.0.18362.5047]

:thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

Jafo1701
Journeyman
Options

I contacted Rtings.com.  They emailed me back and said the are aware of the problem with FreeSync and the 2018 models.  However they advised me they only have one 2018 model in their current inventory and don't have a Xbox 1x only an S.  So they are not sure if they are going to be able to test it.

0 Likes
BogD
Explorer
Options

Cheers @TracyR for responding.

I'm on PC, not on xbone.
Win10, Sapphire Vega56 Pulse GPU, drivers 19.2.1 & 19.6.2, dual screen setup, but showing only on one at a time (TV while gaming, monitor while doing other things), connected through hdmi 2.0b cable. 1920x1080p@120Hz, RGB4:4:4 (Full RGB). HDR is enabled in win10 as well as through the settings of any game that supports it. TV is on game mode, with freesync set to ultimate (but happens on basic as well, tested with Diablo III). FW versions: currently 1260, happened on previous fw as well (updated sometime in june, but reboots started happening in may, don't know previous fw version #)

Some of the games I've played that cause reboots:
Steam: Frostpunk, Wolfenstein the Old Blood & the New Order, Borderlands 2
Origin: Apex Legends
Battle.net: Diablo III
WUP (games installed through windows store): Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Games that have NOT caused reboots for me:
Steam: -games permanently locked at 60 fps like Crawl, Lethal League, Towerfall Ascension etc.; Don't Starve Together
Battle.net: WoW, Starcraft II
WUP: Forza Horizon 4

LT-Dan
Apprentice
Options

Hey all, new to the forum but "glad" to see I'm not the only one with this issue.

I treated myself with a Q6FN (European) earlier this year, this thing is a beast apart from the random reboots. Like many of you, the TV sometimes restart (black screen for 3-5 s) when playing Destiny 2 or Anthem on a Xbox one X (lastest update) with freesync on. I encountered some reboots while listening to Spotify on the console but they are far less frequent.

The TV is up to date and I bought a 2.1 HDMI cable certified VRR (up to 120hz) assuming it was the xbox factory cable which was responsible but that haven't resolve the problem.

I've PM the moderator who asked for more details and hope that Samsung will soon find a fix, it's clearly a TV firmware issue as it seems to affect all QX-FN versions and isn't restricted to Xbox units.

Fingers crossed...