Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90R TV and Q90R soundbar not working correctly with ARC

(Topic created on: 09-02-2020 10:18 AM)
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I have the TV and soundbar of the same name - Q90R. Presumably they are designed to work together...

If if I connect my 2 HDMI sources to the soundbar and use the HDMI ARC to connect to the TV, everything works fine except that my TV remote will switch the TV and soundbar off. However, if I switch the TV on with the TV remote, the soundbar does not switch on. Why would it switch off but not on?  This is how you are advised to set it up in the manual. 

Everything is enabled on Anynet+ CEC and the universal remotes also set up. Volume controls also work from TV remote. Just not switching on both devices together.  I also sometimes have to switch the source off/on to have it recognised.  The only way to switch on the soundbar is with its own remote. 

Interestingly, if I move my 2 HDMI sources to connect to the TV and not the soundbar, the TV remote will switch both devices on AND off and works perfectly in this regard. However, then I get unreaolveable lip sync issues and don’t even get me started on that!

Any ideas (or fixes - Samsung) gratefully received. 

148 REPLIES 148
KEHJ
First Poster
Options

Hi David1987

I only use 1 set top box, SkyQ, wired through the soundbar HDMI 1 to avoid lip sync issues. If I’m watching Atmos from Sky I set the Sky sound to Dolby Digital Plus, otherwise it’s left to standard sound.
As you have 2 devices wired to the sound bar then yes you’ll need to use the sound bar remote to toggle between the 2 boxes. An alternative would be to directly connect one (or both) of your boxes to the tv, assuming there’s no lip sync issues. That way you can toggle between the devices a little easier.
Not sure why Netflix app doesn’t work as mine is fine, tv connected to HDMI ARC, like yours. Did you update the software using the supplied USB?
Am I the only lucky one out there?!
0 Likes
KEHJ
First Poster
Options

These are the software releases that work with my TV and Soundbar...tempting fate but these have worked fine for me....looks like the Soundbar is now requesting a firmware update....do I risk it?

257950B3-E6BC-4F70-B6E7-0E50A1EFCCAC.png32DCE466-4B99-4887-BFA7-07B88DF4F3CF.png

0 Likes
KEHJ
First Poster
Options

This is the new firmware release 126R, does anyone know what changes have been made....concerned my successful set up will be lost?

30775A21-0AD9-4AB0-854C-03FD20A05370.png

0 Likes
slomar
Explorer
Options

Actually, the latest firmware is 1008.0.  I don't know what significance 126r is used for, but it's not the firmware version.  1008.0 has been out for awhile as I updated to that when I got my Q90r soundbar a few months back.  I will say that the rear speakers were a pain to update though.  The app showed everything was up to date, but using the power / key combo on the remote to display the firmware version on each speaker showed that the rears did not get updated.  It took me about four tries to get them to take the update.   

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

The 1008.0 update is apparently only for the US market?

0 Likes
MonkeyM1nd
Apprentice
Options

Seems to be soundbar source related.   When the soundbar is not in d.in it isn't receiving the on command?  Or passing it downstream to hdmi devices plugged into it. 

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

BTW if you have an opticla lead connected, why can't you select the Optical mode if the HDMI ARC is connected?

0 Likes
MonkeyM1nd
Apprentice
Options

Optical didnt carry atmos or did arc.   Pretty sure you should forget optical if you want either

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

Thanks.  I am aware about optical and ATMOS however if I want to select optical instead of TV ARC, I cannot do this?  I have terrible lip sync audio lag issue son the Q90 TV and wanted to test various formats.

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

The optical TV-output is also affected by the excessive Dolby Digital delay when routed through the TV (HDMI input to opto output). I don't use ARC but I believe the reason that you can not manually override is because the TV detects an ARC capable connection. To disconnect ARC you can either connect the AVR/soundbar to other than HDMI-3 or disable ARC functionality in the AVR/soundbar (might depend on your equipment). 

I use the TV-optical output only for audio from TV-internal sources (connected to my AVR). This works for both DD5.1 and PCM without the excessive audio delay bug. I connect external sources audio (S/PDIF coax/opto) directly to AVR while HDMI is connected to the TV for video. I set audio delay in the AVR for the external sources to match the video processing delay in the TV, and on the TV-opto out (for internal apps) I set all audio delays (TV and AVR) to zero.

0 Likes