Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90R TV and Q90R soundbar not working correctly with ARC

(Topic created on: 25-10-2019 01:59 PM)
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I have the TV and soundbar of the same name - Q90R. Presumably they are designed to work together...

If if I connect my 2 HDMI sources to the soundbar and use the HDMI ARC to connect to the TV, everything works fine except that my TV remote will switch the TV and soundbar off. However, if I switch the TV on with the TV remote, the soundbar does not switch on. Why would it switch off but not on?  This is how you are advised to set it up in the manual. 

Everything is enabled on Anynet+ CEC and the universal remotes also set up. Volume controls also work from TV remote. Just not switching on both devices together.  I also sometimes have to switch the source off/on to have it recognised.  The only way to switch on the soundbar is with its own remote. 

Interestingly, if I move my 2 HDMI sources to connect to the TV and not the soundbar, the TV remote will switch both devices on AND off and works perfectly in this regard. However, then I get unreaolveable lip sync issues and don’t even get me started on that!

Any ideas (or fixes - Samsung) gratefully received. 

148 REPLIES 148
m-oc
Navigator
Options

Yes that's correct for lip sync issues but if you connect devices to the soundbar then you may experience other issues such as switching on/off issues with ARC/CEC as myself and others are experiencing. 

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Thats what I face too and why I bother Samsung on a regular basis ...

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@slomar wrote:

I think the question should be, why does the one-connect box exist if you can't use it for anything without lip sync issues? It's a bit chunky in size and takes up space and basically serves no purpose with these existing issues (unless you use optical out which is quite limited to in terms of audio formats). ...

To be clear (so nobody misunderstands); Optical output from the TV is also affected by the excessive audio delay for Dolby Digital sound comming from HDMI connected sources.

On a side note about limited bit rate in S/PDIF (optical) connections I have to say that (although I haven't heard what I miss with higher bit rate) I would rate my audio quality as still better than the picture. Nothing to complain about (other than the lip sync bug.)

slomar
Explorer
Options

Alright... sorry I mispoke on that.  I actually haven't even tried an optical cable yet, but that seemed to be the common solution to the ARC problem (in general, not just for this TV).  However, there is a way to change the delay for optical audio in the TV sound menu which does not apply to HDMI.  So, I figured that was how you would fix that in the event it was an issue.  

Edited:  misread the last post.

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

You can apply the delay to optical or HDMI but only a positive delay. The issue is the other way around with the video ahead of the sound. This would need a negative delay and is not possible. 

The lip sync issue happens on both HDMI and optical with DD, Atmos, etc. 

If you connect the devices to the soundbar then you don't get this issue but you get others instead

I had a text from Samsung to say they tried to call me, which they didn't. Earlier in the week they called and let the phone ring for only a couple of seconds and I didn't answer it in time. Each time I have to wait about 2 days for them (not) to call me again. 

0 Likes
Prometheusred
First Poster
Options

I have the sync issue with the Q90r soundbar and the Q90 Qled. PCM is fine, but whats the point of an expensive system if you cannot enjoy what it offers? Going to try a couple of things with the sync issue, I have a few ideas and will let you know. Just to let you know I have a Sky+ HD box as my main source for TV, A Firestick, Playstation, at this moment all connected in the One connect box. As I have said no issues when TV is set on PCM mode, remote turns everything on/off via ARC/HDMI connected to soundbar from one connect box, the sync is in Dolby sound when selected on the TV is the issue, I also have optical connected direct to soundbar from Sky box. I did have the same issue with a LG OLED but a firmware updated corrected this eventually on an older Samsung sound system.  

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

You can read more posts about the excessive audio delay of dolby digital (DTS) in the sync issue thread.

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Two weeks ago, Samsung support finally admitted that there is an issue with the soundbar not turning on automatically with the TV and opened a ticket in Korea. Since this moment I tried everything to escalate my ticket to get either a partially refund or the go to return the TV - without any success. By phone or chat Samsung won't connect me to their complaint team. All they did is giving me an mailadress where I placed my request one week ago, mentioning that they created a case already etc. but all I've got, is a stupit answer that they can't help me with my problem and that it must be my HDMI cable that is broken. Really?! That's so rude and unprofessinal how they treat clients. I'm shocked!

0 Likes
slomar
Explorer
Options

So, my new problem with this configuration is that my soundbar now refuses to connect to wifi.  When it's plugged into the HDMI ARC port with the TV, it won't show up in the smartthings app (just shows offline).  If I unplug the HDMI ARC cable from the soundbar it will show up in the smartthings app, but if you go into the network settings in the app it still shows it as being unable to connect to wifi and checking for a firmware update just gets to like 99% and hangs.  Guessing I'm probably going to have to factory reset the soundbar if I want to fix it because unplugging it isn't resolving this problem.  Not even sure how to do that, so will likely warrant yet another call to support.  This TV and soundbar have been the worst flagship purchases I've ever made.  

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options
On my side I finally managed to get Samsung to send me a technician to home. I sent a complaint towards the CEO of Samsung Switzerland and voila, someone called me. I have to send my bills now and should be contacted from a technician later.