Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90R TV and Q90R soundbar not working correctly with ARC

(Topic created on: 06-10-2019 06:47 PM)
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I have the TV and soundbar of the same name - Q90R. Presumably they are designed to work together...

If if I connect my 2 HDMI sources to the soundbar and use the HDMI ARC to connect to the TV, everything works fine except that my TV remote will switch the TV and soundbar off. However, if I switch the TV on with the TV remote, the soundbar does not switch on. Why would it switch off but not on?  This is how you are advised to set it up in the manual. 

Everything is enabled on Anynet+ CEC and the universal remotes also set up. Volume controls also work from TV remote. Just not switching on both devices together.  I also sometimes have to switch the source off/on to have it recognised.  The only way to switch on the soundbar is with its own remote. 

Interestingly, if I move my 2 HDMI sources to connect to the TV and not the soundbar, the TV remote will switch both devices on AND off and works perfectly in this regard. However, then I get unreaolveable lip sync issues and don’t even get me started on that!

Any ideas (or fixes - Samsung) gratefully received. 

148 REPLIES 148
slomar
Explorer
Options

I was on the phone with support again, but they have to call me back because they had to update their remote management software. Bit of irony there. Ultimately, I think this TV is going to get returned (again). I will try the Twitter route too. I did DM the Samsung one yesterday without a response, but didn't realize they had a support one too. 

Does anyone know if these problems are specific to the Q90, and by proxy the one connect box, or do the same issues exist on the Q80? 

0 Likes
slomar
Explorer
Options

Rep never called back after five mins like originally stated. Instead I got a text message about scheduling a repair. Looks like I'm returning then. 

0 Likes
slomar
Explorer
Options

Had some back and forth with the Twitter support. They claim they have no history of either of these problems being reported and I "can't rely on what I see reported on the internet". What a joke. I humored them by factory resetting the TV which did nothing to solve the audio sync issues. 

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Till today nothing from Samsung about the promised try to reproduce the behaviour. I just waiting in the queue to get an other agent by chat. I also went a really unconventional way and contacted a guy of samsung management in switzerland directly via linkedin but it seems to be company politics to just ignore this sort of messages. No reaction at all. I couldn't be more frustrated about this whole situation and like others statet, I just wanted the soundbar and took the TV because I wanted stay in the eco system. I should have spent the extra money for LG. I had my whole life LG and never something like that.

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Yes! Finally the Samsung Support admints on the phone that there is a problem and that they can reproduce it on their hardware. They will open a ticket in Korea now. However if we are realistic, a Fix isn't to expect very soon. 

0 Likes
slomar
Explorer
Options

Thanks for posting the follow-up.  Which problem did they reproduce?  The lip sync issue or the weird ARC issue where it reverts back to "TV Speaker"?  I actually did a factory reset on the TV and haven't had the "TV Speaker" issue show back up (yet), but I'm not assuming it won't happen again since it appeared random before.  For lip sync, I just decided to plug directly into the soundbar for now since ARC won't support Atmos anyway... hoping they their fix is just to update the TV to eARC.  That would be stellar.  

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

It would be amazing if either of the problems were fixed. I hope both. Please let us know!  

I am also waiting for a call back from a Samsung. So hopefully I will get the same update!  

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Basically I didn't notice any lipsync issues on my side yet. It's all about the switching the devices on together.

If you want recreate the issue where the Soundbar stays off you just need to use it once as a source with a connected device and use afterwards an TV internal app. From that moment the TV will not remember to switch on the Soundbar.

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

If you connect the sources to the TV rather than soundbar then you get lip sync issues. If you connect sources to the soundbar then you get the ARC/CEC issues that you describe. Currently there is no convenient way to watch HDMI sources in anything but Stereo/PCM on these devices. At least if they fix one thing that would be a help!  

primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Where do you guys live? I'm from Switzerland.

0 Likes