Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90R TV and Q90R soundbar not working correctly with ARC

(Topic created on: 01-09-2019 09:24 PM)
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I have the TV and soundbar of the same name - Q90R. Presumably they are designed to work together...

If if I connect my 2 HDMI sources to the soundbar and use the HDMI ARC to connect to the TV, everything works fine except that my TV remote will switch the TV and soundbar off. However, if I switch the TV on with the TV remote, the soundbar does not switch on. Why would it switch off but not on?  This is how you are advised to set it up in the manual. 

Everything is enabled on Anynet+ CEC and the universal remotes also set up. Volume controls also work from TV remote. Just not switching on both devices together.  I also sometimes have to switch the source off/on to have it recognised.  The only way to switch on the soundbar is with its own remote. 

Interestingly, if I move my 2 HDMI sources to connect to the TV and not the soundbar, the TV remote will switch both devices on AND off and works perfectly in this regard. However, then I get unreaolveable lip sync issues and don’t even get me started on that!

Any ideas (or fixes - Samsung) gratefully received. 

148 REPLIES 148
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

I have the exact same behaviour as you on my Q85R and Q90R setup. It seems to me that it is a TV software problem likd he don't remembers the soundbar as it's default speakers. When I switch on my TV, I can toggle to quick settings and change the speakers from TV to the soundbar. The soundbar switches on and works like it should. This tells me, that there is no problem with communication between the devices.  It also switches off when I switch off my TV but not back on, except if I switched the TV off while I used for example my Nvidia Shield which is connected to HDMI1 of my Soundbar. Then the Soundbar as well as the Shield wake up with the TV. If I switched off from let's say the internal Netflix app, the soundbar stays off till I change the settings in the quicksettings menu of the TV. Very annoying for a setup that expensive...

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I downloaded and installed an update via USB today. It doesn’t show on the TV updates but is on the UK website. I haven’t tried it too much yet but seems to potentially improve some lip sync issues. Possible ARC etc is worse however with some very irratic behavoiur. 

Will update more once I’ve tested a bit more. 

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

I've seen the update but didn't found time to install it. There is also an update to 1008 for the Soundbar on the US site. I installed it but didn't really improve much except of some connection issues I had with my rear speekers.

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

I've installed the update aswell and out of my experience it got even worse. As usual, it worked for a moment but from the next morning, the Soundbar didn't turn on with the TV anymore... Now I have even the Situation that the Soundbar stays off, but the TV thinkgs it's on so trying to change volume does nothing. I also experienced full crashes and reboots of the TV lately. I don't know but I regret deeply that I bought this setup. Spending more than 4000CHF for a 2019 setup they advertise like it's made and optimized to work together that not even is able to turn on together is just a bad joke. My first and last Samsung setup. I had LG before for years and never experienced something like this.

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

New update (1318) available. Installing...

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I’ve installed it and not seen any improvement. Did you?

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Can't say it for sure. I found the update because I lost sound over hdmi arc completely. The soundbar still reacted to volume up and down but no tone. Update didn't fix it in first place. After one more time plugging everything out and in, it worked again. I really hope Samsung fixes this stuff because for now, this is really the worst setup I ever owned.

m-oc
Navigator
Options

I've spent an hour on the phone to Samsung and also chatted on Twitter.  I got absolutely nowhere and they refuse to accept that there are any issues.  I even pointed them at the forums, which clearly they do not read.

Please make sure you call Samsung and raise a ticket with them. The more people that raise these issues the better chance we have of fixing it!  

Samsung are now wanting to exchange the TV for the same model, which presumably won't fix anything...

primalair
Pathfinder
Options

I called the support today again without any result. What upset me most was how rude and at the same time also incompetent the support agent this time was. She looked up what we have done an the last session and ment, okay we can't do more and that I need to be patient. When I told her that I don't have patience anymore she asked what I expect her to and as I told her that she will not be able to help me in this matter becasue she don't hase the competence she just hung up. My intention was, that I want return the device and that she will not have the competence to decicde this but her reaction was just horrible. Well, there were also some false statement from her side that made my statement about lack of competence also legit but anyway.

Did you have any success? What makes me thinking is that nor more people write here. I mean, is this combination really that rare?

0 Likes