Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90R 55 Lip sync issues with Sonos Playbar

(Topic created on: 08-06-2019 06:19 PM)
Mark-oc
First Poster
Options

I’ve been struggling for days with lip sync issues on Dolby Digital via optical. 

Sometimes the picture is ahead of the sound which can’t be corrected. Sometimes I have to switch the TV off and on and then it resets for a while. The different inputs vary but there is only one generic setting. The lip sync varies over time whilst watching.

Any suggestions? Is it an optical issue? Do I need an hdmi soundbar? A Samsung soundbar?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

My Samsung smart TV is rubbish with lip sync even when listening through the TV speakers and through my Yamaha sound bar , I used a sound sync video off YouTube to set it as best I could , on the TV I set the sync to 80

0 Likes
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I also experience lip sync problems on my Q90R (and Sonos Amp) -- however, ONLY WITH 5.1 SURROUND SOUND INPUT SIGNAL.

I.e., TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound do not suffer from lip sync on the Q90R, but any 5.1 TV channels do. Netflix, HBO Nordic, etc., on the TV does not seem to suffer from these problems (probably as they are delivered through apps directly on the TV and not via HDMI input?).

Googling around various fora on the Internet, this seem to be a well-known issue with certain Samsung TV models (including the Q90R).

Forcing my TV set-top box (Humax YSR-4000) to downgrade all TV channels to stereo sound resolves the problem, but I am not happy about missing out on the original 5.1 sound input -- especially since I have a Sonos Amp, which does some "magic" with the input sound signal to create a so-called phantom center speaker in what is really just a 2.1 speaker setup.

It should be noted that the lip sync issue is only on some TV channels and, further, that the issue is experienced both through the Sonos Amp as well as with the Q90R built-in speakers. Thus, it has nothing to do with the Sonos Amp per se.

Also, it is worth mentioning that although the Q90R and the Sonos Amp both provide certain options for adding some delay on sound/picture to address lip sync issues, I cannot use that for anything since the lip sync issue is ONLY ON SOME TV CHANNELS. Adding a delay to fix lip sync on 5.1 TV channels will entail that the sound/picture on stereo TV channels goes out of sync.

I expect Samsung to resolve this through a firmware update, perhaps by adding the option of adjusting lip sync delay separately for stereo and 5.1 surround signals.

m-oc
Navigator
Options

I had the retailer out yesterday.  We spent over an hour on it and couldn't resolve it.  I have a Sonos Playbar but we also tried a Beam over HDMI ARC.  Neither worked really and better.  We did think it was fixed by a new HDMI cable but it turned out not to be.

I don't believe it to be an issue with Sonos but lots of the reports seem to be due to Samsung TVs and a Sonos device.  As this sometimes occurs with the TV speakers too, then I don't think it is the sound bar.

They certainly need to have the video behind the sound, rather than ahead, so you an apply the delay and also have different delays for each input.  So, it's back to PCM for me until it is resolved or otherwise will need to exchange this "flagship" TV for another brand.

Presumably Samsung aren't reading these comments!  Samsung???

0 Likes
d00p
Journeyman
Options

Yes, I am 100 percent certain that my Q90R is running v1066. I updated manually from Samsung's support website (using a USB thumb drive).

As I recall, for some strange reason the TV would not fetch v1066 via the online update function -- although, said version was readily available for download on the support website-- which is why I downloaded and upgraded manually.

For the record; I experience the lip-sync issue consistently, when viewing TV channels with 5.1 sound input -- and likewise, I can eliminate any and all lip-sync problems by forcing my set-top box to output stereo sound only for all channels.

Specifically, the lip-sync issue seems to be that the picture is ahead of the sound; i.e., adding a delay on the Sonos device is not an option (as you are alluding to as well).

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

Thanks for this. I’m also experiencing the same that the TV does not pick up the update but after you mentioned it I checked and it is available online. I’m not sure whether to risk installing or not!

I have reported the issues that you mention to Samsung today and asked for it to be escalated. They also wanted to replace the TV but seeing as this seems to be a common issue, I don’t see the point. I assume you have also reported it, the more weight behind this the better. 

It is definitely ok on stereo/PCM. On 5.1 I get  mixed results. It is the worst on Sky Q for sure. It is impossible to correct, as you say, when the video is ahead. It is improved when Sky Q is in native 1080i sometimes and weirdly if I put Sky in DD+!  However, the only good setting is PCM/stereo. It’s also a backwards step from older models to only have one delay setting for all sources. As the delay is required for TV apps such as Amazon Prime, this conflicts with the setting required. 

0 Likes
d00p
Journeyman
Options

Great, thanks. Let's hope that Samsung will fix this before long. 

I will definitely keep an eye out for any firmware updates.

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I have a solution for the lip sync issue but it comes at a couple of costs. 

I now have a Q90R sound bar as well as the Q90R TV. So you would think they would work perfectly together... The lip sync issue continues if you connect sources to the TV one connect and just use HDMI ARC between the soundbar and TV. However, if you connect the sources to the soundbar (there are only 2 more HDMI ports and 1 optical) and just use the HDMI ARC as before then the lip sync issue is resolved.  This is for Dolby Digital too and DD+. 

What are the “costs”?  Well the first is the cost of the soundbar. It’s not cheap!  I suspect that this solution may however work with other soundbars if they have enough HDMI inputs for your needs. The second is really annoying. When I turn the TV off with the TV remote, the soundbar also goes off, so far so good. However, when I turn on the TV, the soundbar does not switch on. I then have to use the soundbar remote just to switch it on. Also it doesn’t always then recognise the source until something is done on the soure, even if it was already on. 

Interestingly/annoyingly, with the original configuration with the lip sync issues, the remote works fine for on and off!  So currently it’s either lip sync or remote issues!

I have someone coming out to look at my set up later in the week. Maybe the on/off issue can be fixed. If not, it looks like just another problem from Samsung that they won’t fix. 

The other point to note is that the Q90R soundbar isn’t the most asthetically pleasing device I’ve ever seen. The soundbar isn’t too bad but the sub is a big black box and the rear speakers are chunky. It does sound really good however. 

Hope you’re reading this Samsung and can help your customers out?  Please?  

0 Likes