Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Q7FN HDMI resolution indicator not updating

(Topic created on: 23-12-2018 03:06 PM)
caboomgr
Pioneer
Options

Hello,

When using HDMI inputs (ex. PC), when you press the OK button, on the top right part of the screen, it shows the resolution that you are currently using.

I have noticed that when I change resolutions, ex. going from 1080p 120Hz to 4k 60Hz, or whatever small change you might do, the indication does not change. So, I might be running my PC on 4k 60Hz and the indication still shows 1080p 60 Hz from the previous setting that I had when I first turned on the TV. And the only way to see the current resolution is to actually turn off the TV and turn it back on again.

I confirm that the same problem existed with the Q7 2017 model because I actually had one a while ago.

Is there a workaround or a fix? I am using latest firmware 1202.

Regards

Go to solution
51 REPLIES 51
caboomgr
Pioneer
Options

Hello @neodraig,

Based on the picture you posted, I noticed that you probably have not enabled HDMI UHD color. It might be the bug that it's not displayed in your screen, but just in case, check it out. You need to enable it to basically have more than 8bit of color space. This TV can do up to 10bit color which is necesairy for HDR to look nice.

If you don't know how to do it, the setting is located in General > External Device Manager > HDMI UHD Color. And in there, enable it for the HDMI ports that you want. For this to work you also need to have an at least HDMI 2.0 cable (you probably already have one).

Regards

0 Likes
neodraig
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your help but no that's not that :winking-face:

UHD colors are activated for both my PS4 and my PC (I wouldn't be able to use the HDR mode otherwise), it's just the TV that won't display the correct information (source name, resolution, mode...).

The screenshot is just an example, but I have similar problem with my PC (in the Nvidia panel Ycbcr422 and 10 bpc activated, UHD colours in the TV settings), with again the wrong information displayed or completly missing.

But I'm really not alone with that problem as you can see here, but also on the American or French forums where people have similar problems 😕 

0 Likes
Beeswax
Explorer
Options

The more I use this TV, the more apparent this problem becomes.  The info is literally useless in in it's current form, the only piece of information if accurately reports is the HDMI input you are on, everything else is incorrect.  When I press 'info', the dumb thing doens't even know if it's in Game Mode or not, the info panel will say 'Game Mode' yet the Settings menu shows it's off and Picture Mode is 'Dynamic' - which as everyone who owns one of these TVs will know, makes being in Game Mode IMPOSSIBLE.

Seriously Samsung, sort this out, it's a bog-standard feature on all modern TVs and you're showing yourselves up by not managing to get it right.

Beeswax
Explorer
Options

@caboomgr wrote:

Hello @neodraig,

Based on the picture you posted, ...blah blah blah

caboomgr:  "the info panel displays wrong information all the time"

also caboomgr: "I notice your info panel is not showing [UHD Color], here's how to enable it.."

I can't even.

0 Likes
caboomgr
Pioneer
Options
Hi guys, @Beeswax and @neodraig, guys I know.. I have the same problem also.. I'm the one who created this thread lol I was just making a suggestion in case neodraig hadn't enabled UHD color, that's all.. As for the wrong indications, yes, in my TV as well, i have the exact same problem even with the latest firmware.
0 Likes
Beeswax
Explorer
Options

OK, this problem can actually be solved by contacting Samsung Customer Support.  I just did so and the nice lady connected remotely to my TV, messed about in the Service Menu, restarted the TV and now my info panel is updating correctly again.  I called the UK General Support line on 0330 726 7864 and selected option '2' several times iirc.

To help you prepare - be ready to have to disconnect all HDMI devices from the OneConnect box, this needs to be done in to order to reset it properly.  I could see what the Samsung rep was doing in the service menu and it involved toggling an option to do with EDID off and on a few times.  I'm not sure if she was doing this for each HDMI port or just repeating the step a few times.

I did ask not to reset the TV fully as I didn't want to have to set everything back up from scratch, she assured me this wouldn't happen and she was mostly right.  After I'd got off the phone, I could see some settings had been reset, e.g. Motion Plus, Game Mode Motion Plus and a couple of other minor ones.  For the most part though, everything was still configured as before.

neodraig
Apprentice
Options

@caboomgr

UHD colours are activated for both my PS4 and my PC :winking-face:

What I noticed is when the TV fails to display that the HDR mode is activated, whereas it is working perfectly, if you look at the icon of the "Picture Mode", you'll see that the HDR is displayed. So the TV knows that HDR is activated, why doesn't it mention it in the display information ?

My 10 years old Samsung TV never failed (until I destroyed it by punching it will playing a VR game) to display the correct information about the resolution, so why a high end TV like the Q7FN can't do it properly, that's absurd.

0 Likes
caboomgr
Pioneer
Options
Hello @Besswax, Thank you for your reply, I will try that too. Can you confirm that even after days having passed that your info panel is displaying correct information even after changing resolutions in PC? Sometimes in my experience I can make it display correct information by powering off and on again the TV. But after a while it fails again. Regards
0 Likes
Beeswax
Explorer
Options

Yeah, your fears are well founded. Only a few hours after finishing on the phone with Samsung, it's back to behaving exactly the same way again. Just as bad, says Game Mode is on/off when it isn't, wrong resolution/refresh. A real shambles. 

0 Likes
Solution
Beeswax
Explorer
Options

Well, I've not got round to calling Samsung again yet but I wonder if any of you can confirm something I've noticed with this bug.  I'm finding that if I bring up the information bar just before I trigger a resolution/refresh change, it updates properly, do any of you guys get the same behaviour?