Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q7F Judders and white flashes

(Topic created on: 11-09-2018 05:05 PM)
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Getting more annoyed with our Q7F TV, we were hoping some firmware updates would improve things but that hasn't happened.

1) White flashes, every now again, sometimes a few minutes apart, sometimes hours apart, on a scene transition there is a brilliant white flash, i.e. the screen shows for a fraction of a second or perhaps a single frame, a complete white screen.  This happens from all sources and is random but usually always at an edit, going back and playing the same part again it doesn't happen, its as though the TV can't process quick enough over a cut.

2) Judders, typically on pans, at the start of the pan the picture will freeze for a couple of frames then jump and catch up, this is often repeatable but not always.

We've tried changing various motion settings and judder reduction settings which have done nothing to stop the problems.

Are these problems happening for everyone on these TVs?

Regards

Phil

61 REPLIES 61
Rymaan
Explorer
Options

@paul1277 Id like to thank you for your information regarding a return to retailer. I have managed to secure a refund and a return of my 55mu7000 with proof of Samsungs attempt to fix and failing. So question is now what do I purchase for around £1000 that isnt Samsung but fairly decent mid range spec? Any ideas?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Rymaan wrote:

@paul1277 Id like to thank you for your information regarding a return to retailer. I have managed to secure a refund and a return of my 55mu7000 with proof of Samsungs attempt to fix and failing. So question is now what do I purchase for around £1000 that isnt Samsung but fairly decent mid range spec? Any ideas?

Glad could help. As to your new telly,  I am not an expert,  but a lot seem to be going for the LG b7. You could also get a the same made and see if it works,  but at the moment their quality control does seem to be a bit of an issue. What ever you buy always pay at least the deposit by credit card,  and make sure you check the specs and have them in writing not just by word of mouth. 

Paul

Rymaan
Explorer
Options

Yeah I have had a brief look but there isnt much around that price range for a similar spec tv other than Samsung models. But the ordial I went through with this tv id prefer not to go the Samsung route again if ever. I did notice that the LG B7's are popular so it may be worth adding that bit of extra money, only thing is looks like they are hard to get hold of. :(.

0 Likes
NewtonUK
First Poster
Options

I had my screen swapped out for the second time because of, what I consider to be significant, backlight bleed and an attempt to fix the white flashing that I get intermittently.

This is the result of the second panel:

IMG_0601.jpeg

Am I expecting too much?

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Light bleed is always present with LCD, and viewing a black or near black LCD TV you always get light bleed.  It's also very hard to know from a photograph if the light bleed is what is typical or it is really bad.

Some things to try:

Make sure your screens brigthness is turned down to match the room brigthness.  If you are in dark room, the brightness needs adjusting down quite a lot.  LCD TVs are not designed for viewing in pitch black or near blackness as they are not trying to be a cinema screen and can't be, they work differently.  Most people in the know have whats called ambiant lighting or bias lighting when watching TV, for example a light is placed behind the screen and you don't watch in near darkness See https://lifehacker.com/why-bias-lighting-increases-your-tvs-contrast-and-saves-1695117890 for some info.

Also make sure your picture settings are in the Natural or Movie mode (well movie mode will probably give you white flashes such is Samsung rubbish software) and knock down the contrast a little.  

Note the white flashing is a bug in Samsungs firmware and picture processing, a new screen or One box will not fix it, usually though it seems to only be when using Movie mode.

Just don't buy a Samsung TV again, I certainly will not.

Hope that helps.

Phil

Wayne10
Pioneer
Options

I've never used Movie Mode and still seen the mostly white camera flashes.

Can't say i saw it when I first got it this year. I have had a few firmware updates already.

Here's hoping it is a firmware issue.

0 Likes
NewtonUK
First Poster
Options

I'll try to explain the analogy that my son and I arrived at to explain the level of backlight bleed... It's like being in a cinema and the whole front row start playing on their mobile phones.

I'm waiting to hear back from the alternative resolution team at Samsung at present.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@NewtonUK wrote:

I'll try to explain the analogy that my son and I arrived at to explain the level of backlight bleed... It's like being in a cinema and the whole front row start playing on their mobile phones.

I'm waiting to hear back from the alternative resolution team at Samsung at present.

Have you reported this to your retailer as they are responsible under consumer law. If it is less than 4 weeks old then you should be able to reject and ask for a replacement or refund.

Paul

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Which picture mode are you using?  

Only Movie mode gives you something close to a correctly calibrated picture without getting a professional in.  I'm not saying you don't have a problem with back light bleed, but this may be normal and only visible due to incorrect settings (Dynamic picture mode is the worst, it's completely un-natural and only designed as a buy-me setting for TVs in a brightly lit shop or to justify over exagerated claims of contrast ratios in the marketing) or due to trying to watch in a very dark room.  All LCD panels have some element of backlight bleed if you look for it or have brigthness up too high.

Regards

Phil

NewtonUK
First Poster
Options

Hi Phil, I use Movie for TV/Movie watching , set as per rtings.com and HDTVTest.com recommendations and Game for the Xbox.

Cheers

Rob

0 Likes