Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 06-02-2017 02:35 AM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
Del6
Explorer
Options
Have followed all advice and sent template letters but they still deny there's a problem with this range
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Del6 wrote:
Have followed all advice and sent template letters but they still deny there's a problem with this range

Send them a link and ask them to explain why others are having the same issues. 

Also Citizens Advice is very useful for everyone, as they send all complaints to trading standards. Also leave reviews on 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/

As most companies monitor reviews. 

It's a case of hitting from all angles. 

But what they really want is for you to give up. 

Paul

Del6
Explorer
Options

Screenshot_20191008_135133.jpg

Hockers
Explorer
Options
Just updated Trustpilot with my review and revisiting Watchdog & Which with my complaint, as you said, we can give in or fight for better service...appreciating that Warranties & Consumer Act update 2015 can help many, there is no such protection if you purchased secondhand or from retailers that have gone bust/disappeared and absolutely no excuse for dreadful customer service from a previously trusted brand
Mj65
Pioneer
Options
Correct they don’t want to know
Mj65
Pioneer
Options
I’ve had contact with Samsung a total waste of time I asked what caused the purple spot problem,they couldn’t or would not say
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Mj65 wrote:
I’ve had contact with Samsung a total waste of time I asked what caused the purple spot problem,they couldn’t or would not say

Yep no the feeling. When I was dealing with them you could contact the UK CEO'S office and things got very slowly done. 

What people must remember, is always have it in writing any requirement from the retailer, the manufacturer can say anything. 

If it does not work as expected, or becomes faulty especially in the first 28  days always report to your retailer and you are legally entitled to a full refund, and free collection, if delivered. There are no ifs and buts, that is the law. After 28 days and upto 6 months if it becomes faulty you have to allow one attempt at repair, if still faulty even after the 6 months if same fault, you can ask for a further repair, replacement or full refund. 

After 6 months becomes a bit more tricky. You have to show it was a fault from new, which means a known fault, and thus is where a lot of retailers hide behind. That is why I like Richer Sounds, with their 6 year warranty, and support. 

As per certain retailers saying they need a returns number from the manufacturer, there is no requirements for any return number as it is the retailer who us responsible. 

Also remember consumer credit section 75.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Mj65 wrote:

Yep no the feeling. When I was dealing with them you could contact the UK CEO'S office and things got very slowly done. 

What people must remember, is always have it in writing any requirement from the retailer, the manufacturer can say anything. 

If it does not work as expected, or becomes faulty especially in the first 28  days always report to your retailer and you are legally entitled to a full refund, and free collection, if delivered. There are no ifs and buts, that is the law. After 28 days and upto 6 months if it becomes faulty you have to allow one attempt at repair, if still faulty even after the 6 months if same fault, you can ask for a further repair, replacement or full refund. 

After 6 months becomes a bit more tricky. You have to show it was a fault from new, which means a known fault, and this is where a lot of retailers hide behind. That is why I like Richer Sounds, with their 6 year warranty, and support. 

As per certain retailers saying they need a returns number from the manufacturer, there is no requirements for any return number as it is the retailer who us responsible. 

Also remember consumer credit section 75.

0 Likes
Mk2Jay
First Poster
Options

And another one!

I have the 65" TV and started to notice a couple of purple spots a few weeks back. I'm now at the point where around 40% of my screen now has a purple tint to it. As usual, the warranty is just up a couple of months ago.

**Edit**

Spelling mistake!

0 Likes
Sg66
Student
Options

Me too, is there a collective watchdog list or letter? 

0 Likes