Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 12-02-2019 10:18 AM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
aretzios
Navigator
Options

Peculiar, they are usually good in following up.  What is likely to happen is that they will call and refer you to the nearest Samsung -approved repair facility which would do the work only if you have a warranttee.

0 Likes
Poisonivy
Explorer
Options
They already told me where my nearest facility is ...
They also told me I'll have to pay....
My warranty ran out.
0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

OK, then.  They are done with you.  If you can live with the problem, maybe you can keep the TV for a little while.  If not, there are very good and relatively inexpensive sets by TCL and Vizio that have been well reviewed and can provide a good and blemish-free picture.

0 Likes
Irishmike
Journeyman
Options
I bought an LG 4K 50” at Best Buy, model 6090 for $299.89, amazing vs Samsung!!
0 Likes
Poisonivy
Explorer
Options

@aretzios wrote:

OK, then.  They are done with you.  If you can live with the problem, maybe you can keep the TV for a little while.  If not, there are very good and relatively inexpensive sets by TCL and Vizio that have been well reviewed and can provide a good and blemish-free picture.

Yes  my tv is only 3 years old though....

It stinks that there should be issues after such a short time and that Samsung are washing their hands of the problem.

They're done with me? I'm done  with them and I'll take great pleasure in telling them where to stick their shoddy appliances and even shoddier customer service.

degoose
Student
Options

Hi 

I have a TV with the same issue and we bought ours 4 years ago . It's model UE48H6400AK , about a month ago we started getting a purple patch on the right hand side of the screen . It's not always there when the TV is turned on but does slowly appear and then stays and is easily noticeable on whites and Grey's. We have a five year warranty and have asked for it to be fixed or replaced , if it's fixed I'll find out the details so others know what was done and the cost if possible . This certainly seems to be an issue though that is widespread . IMG_20190122_200640.jpg

0 Likes
Jefrank
Explorer
Options
Had the same problem the only way mine was fixed was to replace the front panel. Mine was repaired for free because they say it's a manufacturing problem that they got from certain manufacturers
0 Likes
marma333
First Poster
Options
Same problem with my samsung UE50H6400 50'', Smart TV.
Purple spots in 3 areas on the screen, and one is so intense that it can be seen in any color.
Only 3 years lifespan and out of warranty. A question to samsung support why so often the same symptom appears, 
the answer was that it was accidental and that other brands are having problems too. Cost 35 euro for the service only to confirm the problem, and the panel that most likely needs replacement costs 530 €! Samsung will probably get away with it, with the cost falling to us consumers.
All I can do is not to buy samsung EVER again.
The same I will propose to a future buyer given the number of incidents.

PS: Can samsung reply here why the large number of incidents with the same problem? Is it a known issue (technical failure) or is it accidental?

0 Likes
degoose
Student
Options

Well mine has been fixed by a repair place ,they would not specifically give us a cost but it was a few hundred for the parts I'm fairly sure. Luckily we had a 5 year warranty and was in its 4th year but the TV repair place said they get these on a very regular basis and it was nothing new to him for these Samsung TV's.

Pity as the TV is really good but I hope this has fixed the TV for at least a couple more years . 

Hockers
Explorer
Options

I think it fair to say that if your warranty has expired, you are done...Samsung are not replying, but there is more than enough evidence in these posts that this is a wide spread manufacturing problem and what we can learn from this is that their customer service is appalling as no doubt there is BIG bucks at stake by accepting responsiblility. As suggested by other posts, the only route available now is a legal action along the lines of 'not fit for purpose' (i.e. should be expected to last at least say 5 years) and if anyone is going that way, I have retained my 6400 48" set (less than 3 yrs old) complete with blue patches that I am happy to submit as evidence!

0 Likes