Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 17-01-2019 12:28 AM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
Jefrank
Explorer
Options

I think it happens in all sizes mine was a 65-inch curved. And I was told it came from a certain manufacturer of thr panel I just don't know which one

0 Likes
Irishmike
Journeyman
Options

I have a basic 1080 been going strong 3 years 

would you worry about purchasing a newer Samsung 4K, like the nu6900?

0 Likes
tvaudiovideo
Apprentice
Options

I would not worry as long as I bought a Square Trade Warranty or Geek Squad Warranty at time of sale. If its gonna fail, it will probably be in the extended warranty period. I thought and stil do the Samsung has the most brilliant and colorful display of all the big box store monitors on display. Mine did however develop the problem and the warranty service replaced the tv with a brand new one; no problems except i was limited to one with features that were on mine, nothing newer unless I paid the difference. Plus I ended up with an LG set which in my opinion doesn't come close to the Samsung.

I would still buy another Samsung but definately with an additional Square Trade Warranty; their price is reasonable.

0 Likes
Irishmike
Journeyman
Options

@tvaudiovideo wrote:

I would not worry as long as I bought a Square Trade Warranty or Geek Squad Warranty at time of sale. If its gonna fail, it will probably be in the extended warranty period. I thought and stil do the Samsung has the most brilliant and colorful display of all the big box store monitors on display. Mine did however develop the problem and the warranty service replaced the tv with a brand new one; no problems except i was limited to one with features that were on mine, nothing newer unless I paid the difference. Plus I ended up with an LG set which in my opinion doesn't come close to the Samsung.

I would still buy another Samsung but definately with an additional Square Trade Warranty; their price is reasonable.

TY

What about "Asusian" warranty? I see it is on some sets at Amazon. Not sure about the Geek squad price though but the Squaretrade is a steal with some of the LED's at Amazon for sure!

I got a TCL a few days ago from BB but going to return it, hate how you have to be online just to get the over the air program guide to work. My previous Samsung LED's were not that way, hopefully the newer (nu6900) models are the same, should probably find out thought before I purchase.

0 Likes
halix
Apprentice
Options

is anybody know what cause that issue, can someone explain it technically?

0 Likes
Jefrank
Explorer
Options

I was told by a Samsung technician that the problem came from a certain manufacturer he wouldn't tell which manufacturer of the panel so it's a defective panel causing all the problems. The only fix is to replace the panel which is basically the whole TV. Personally since they know about the problem they should have been a recall. Samsung replace my panel at no cost to me my TV was bought Father's Day 2017 it was replaced all I made was three phone calls no other questions were asked were happy to do it

Irishmike
Journeyman
Options

Fella at a Best Buy new all about and said the bad display and backlight going out bleeding the edges.

I am holding on to mine for the special day when a class action suit is put through. Spread the word!

halix
Apprentice
Options

I called samsung support line today. they are refusing it is common issue or manufacturer issue. I asked for what cause this issue and why this happened? no answer!  so there are purple patches on TV but this is not samsung fault, this is our fault. we did it! I wish I know how I do that.

0 Likes
ChiefNugget
First Poster
Options

IMG_20180616_225019.jpgA little visual to help understand the nature of the problem, seeing that others are sharing photos also.

0 Likes
Poisonivy
Explorer
Options
I was supposed to be getting a call back from someone at Samsung after I asked my case to escalated but surprise surprise!!!
No one from this shoddy company has bothered to ring me.
0 Likes