Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 25-09-2018 12:47 PM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
Lantis
First Poster
Options
Easy solution. Pay by Credit card as I did. Samsung and Currys can ignore me all they like but my bank will get my money back once they receive the engineers report that its a board failure. Section 75 of the Creidt Consumer Act is the best piece of legislation ever created. Covers you up to 6 years on faulty goods that cost over £100
0 Likes
Lantis
First Poster
Options

TV problem.jpg

0 Likes
kellie
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue. One purple patch about a week ago, then another a few days later. TV just turned four 😞 

0 Likes
marvlaf
First Poster
Options

I have a curved 50''  ultra high def. 2000k and i see purle spots all in the screen.  Im not happy. Im on a fix income and  saved to buy my first flat screen, thinking samsung was the best and this is what I got.  Great picture if you can look around the purple spots.  TV coast me $1400 at best buy.

0 Likes
tvaudiovideo
Apprentice
Options

I have a curved 50''  ultra high def. 2000k and i see purle spots all in the screen.  Im not happy. Im on a fix income and  saved to buy my first flat screen, thinking samsung was the best and this is what I got.  Great picture if you can look around the purple spots.  TV coast me $1400 at best buy.

If your original warranty is out, I am sorry, but you're out of luck getting any help from Samsung. If you can live with it, do just that. But just for your information, Fry's Electronics on-line ( https://frys.com ) often has a special sale on a 60" LED TV for about $350. Just sign up for their emails and they will let you know when the sale is.

Its not name brand but then considering all options, I don't see where that really matters anyway. Same problem here being on fixed income, but I lucked out cause I bought an inexpensive extended warranty from Square Trade ( also on-line ). They replaced my tv with me just sending in a few pictures of the problem.  Thats all the help I can offer.

@marvlaf

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

Well, if the TV is out of warranty, Samsung wouild not help.  On the other hand, purchasing a no name TV of unknown provenance is not a solution either.  By the way, the panel failure of all manufacturers is quite high currently, so this is hardly limited to Samsung.  I had a Visio 4K panel that died in less than 5 years.  I am sure that LG, Sony and others have similar failure rates.  Thus, an extended warranty may make sense.   I think that progressively these panels would get more dependable, but one never knows when this is going to occur.  In any case, I am currently assuming that TVs wouild last 5 years and no more than that.

0 Likes
Jefrank
Explorer
Options

Okay December 2018 I've had my TV Father's Day 2017 I have been looking at all these posts and there's so many, hundreds of people with the same complaint yes I have purple patches on my television set it seems like Samsung doesn't want to do nothing about it. Isn't this a consumer problem that I could sue them over for not taking care of them I mean they know this problem exists 4 years and they don't seem to be doing nothing about it I too am retired can't go out and buy another fancy TV like that got to be something that can be done

0 Likes
pstone3
Explorer
Options

Sadly, nothing can be done it seems. Samsung lost me as a customer and I put my TV up in the gaming room so it can be systematically destroyed by video games over the rest of it's life of which I don't care about.

The fall out is that I will NEVER buy another Samsung TV again. This time I bought a LG 75" on a big black friday online sale which was an amazing deal. I did get the extended 4 year warranty this time but Samsung lost out on my thousand$$$+ purchase because of their rude attitude towards this what I'm betting is an inside-job problem done on purpose to cause a spike in sales in their products as people like us decide to just buy another one. 

Jokes on them. 

The bigger joke is that Samsung and LG are basically neighbors in S. Korea and while are rivals, they probably rival all the way to the bank together.

aretzios
Navigator
Options

I hate to disappoint you, but Samsung does not really care if it has lost you as a customer. It gains new customers every day through advertizing, deals and special offers.  The loss of a few customers here and there for a piece of technology infrequently purchased is not of a great worry to a company like Samsung.  I think that Samsung knows about the problem, it knows the frequency of failure but it has already computed that such losses are acceptable.  Otherwise, it would have done something about it.  When some Galaxy Note 7s started exploding, Samsung took note and addressed the problem because it had a major impact on its business.  Even then, the offers to existing customers were ridiculously low!  So, do not expect much.  Samsung is not disturbed.  Thus, buy an extended warrantee with your next TV purchase, Samsung or not!!!

pstone3
Explorer
Options

LOL! I could care less about Samsung. They got my money - so what. I am glad I didn't buy a warranty as that's not an excuse for deceptive practices cause it's just gonna happen again most likely. Not to say the same could happen with LG TVs after their "next upgrade" but business practices like that lead to lawsuits, word of mouth reports (like the many here) and eventual restructures. Leapfro's Leadpad fiasco anyone? It was a big deal years ago with many units killing themselves. Not surprised they had to sell the company eventually.

But as you mentioned, and as I mentioned, yes, I did get the extended warranty on the LG this time - Wish me luck LOL!

0 Likes