Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 16-09-2019 07:52 AM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
Zulu
Journeyman
Options

Under consumer rights in the uk I contacted Curry’s. They compensated me by way of £155 in vouchers. ( better than nothing ). Won’t be buying Samsung again. Now have a Sony Bravia with 6 year warranty. 

Nethiuz
First Poster
Options
How do i get in on this class action?
2 year old 4k LED and purple patches!!!
0 Likes
Jaydeesank1
Journeyman
Options
The response from Samsung was that they denied there was an inherent problem. They advised me to contact their approved servicing agents at my expense (50 miles away). Then John Lewis came up trumps. They found that I had a 5 year warranty. They arranged repair. The engineer told me that the LED coating issue is a manufacturing problem he has dealt with many cases.
0 Likes
Mj65
Pioneer
Options
It’s a total waste of time talking to Samsung support I’ve tried my 2-3year old 4k curved tv has just a small purple spot on the top right it’s out of warranty but it Should NOT HAPPEN but all I get is gat it repaired Samsung a waste of time
0 Likes
Jaydeesank1
Journeyman
Options
Write to the retailer under consumer laws. Which has a useful template on the website.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jaydeesank1 wrote:
Write to the retailer under consumer laws. Which has a useful template on the website.

Under the 2015 European consumer law, if after 6 months a product is faulty, you have to show it is a known fault, or been their from new. If that is the case the retailer can attempt one repair, and if not sucssessful then you can ask for another repair, replacement or refund, taking into account usage.

So we know from this thread it is  aknown fault, and we know the Samsung have attempted repairs, so they know it is a fault with the TV, which meets the criteria of the consumer law.

On this thread is lots of information on how to go about that, which is from the miss selling of the KS series TV

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/KS-Owners-Refund-usefull-info/m-p/579806#M14123

and those who got refunds,

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Re-KS-Owners-refund-Results/m-p/591873#M14588

This consumer law is powerful, but you must remember that it is the retailer, not the manufactuer that has to give you the refunds, as they sold you the item. You also have the consumer credit 1974 section 75 law, which also puts a joint responsibility on any credit card company if you paid at least £100 on the card. Just ring the credit card issuer and ask. Rememberthis is from 6 months to 6 years!

Hope it helps,

Paul

0 Likes
Jaydeesank1
Journeyman
Options
Thanks Paul. I am sorted. John Lewis discovered I had a 5 year warranty so it is fixed by them. The other guy will appreciate this.
Mj65
Pioneer
Options
I’ve tried to ask why it’s happened but to no avail it will cost approximately £400 to fix my 49inch curved 4k tv from Samsung which i purchased 2nd July 2017 ,Samsung can go to hell never again will I buy from them
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Mj65 wrote:
I’ve tried to ask why it’s happened but to no avail it will cost approximately £400 to fix my 49inch curved 4k tv from Samsung which i purchased 2nd July 2017 ,Samsung can go to hell never again will I buy from them

Under the 2015 European consumer law, if after 6 months a product is faulty, you have to show it is a known fault, or been their from new. If that is the case the retailer can attempt one repair, and if not sucssessful then you can ask for another repair, replacement or refund, taking into account usage.

So we know from this thread it is  aknown fault, and we know the Samsung have attempted repairs, so they know it is a fault with the TV, which meets the criteria of the consumer law.

On this thread is lots of information on how to go about that, which is from the miss selling of the KS series TV

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/KS-Owners-Refund-usefull-info/m-p/579806#M14123

and those who got refunds,

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Re-KS-Owners-refund-Results/m-p/591873#M14588

This consumer law is powerful, but you must remember that it is the retailer, not the manufactuer that has to give you the refunds, as they sold you the item. You also have the consumer credit 1974 section 75 law, which also puts a joint responsibility on any credit card company if you paid at least £100 on the card. Just ring the credit card issuer and ask. Rememberthis is from 6 months to 6 years!

Hope it helps,

Paul

0 Likes
Moe2
First Poster
Options

What Samsung fails to realize is one pissed off customer can equal 100 or more lost customers because I'm telling everyone I know to tell everyone they know that Samsung's TVs are junk and don't last 2 years. I do it on Facebook, twitter, at a party, anywhere. Everyone should do the same. Put them out of the TV business.