Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical audio cut every 3-5 seconds (Q90R)

(Topic created on: 16-02-2020 04:33 PM)
Opkvitne
Student
Options

I recently bought a new Samsung TV (QE55Q90RATXXC) and since it doesn't have an analog audio output I decided to buy a miniDAC adapter for my old B&O receiver from the 80s. Don't worry, I took
the receiver in for a service couple of months ago. The adapter is ment to convert the signal from the optical output from the One Connect box to a phono signal for the analog receiver. The miniDAC adapter works fine until about 30 minutes of playing music from the Spotify app or playing movies from Netflix. Everya 3-5 seconds the sound is gone for 1 second.

It's like the sound i "chopped" for a tiny moment. But, if I change the apps between Netflix and Spotify, the problem is gone for a while. Even if I turn my television tuner on the same problem occurs. But then, while this tuner is on, I get to run self diagnosis in Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Start Sound Test, and the example music from the test is amazingly clean and the sounds isn't cut out for a short moment.

I also figured out that the Expert Settings already is set to PCM, but I only have that one setting available in the Sound Settings.

I have also tried the same miniDAC adapter with my old Samsung TV from 2012 (UE55ES6305) with two different optical cables and the old tv, the old receiver and the miniDAC adapter worked perfectly.

So now I wonder if I can get some advice from you regarding this annoying issue. Is it somehow possible to transfer the sound signal from the One Connect box to the adapter in any other way?

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous_P
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

please tell me you've solved this already.

I have an SMSL Q5 pro amp and I have the very same issue you are describing. I also tryed with my old Samsung TV via the very same optical cable and everything works fine.

Please help...

Kikimora
Explorer
Options

Please did you solve the problem? I have the same problem with QE65Q95T.

simplicyk
Explorer
Options

I have the very same issue on Q90R. Seems to be a software issue. Youtube, Netflix and other apps are just fine for 10-15minutes and then issue starts. If i clear the memmory in device manager problem is gone but onlybfor jext 10-15minutes. 

With HDMI sources issue is there from the beginning, not usable at all as those sound drops are driving me crazy.

Technican will visit me on Monday, hope there is a solution other than returning TV.

Opkvitne
Student
Options

I still haven't heard anything from Samsung yet and haven't been able to use my old speakers with the new TV, which is so annoying. I hope they will be able to patch it through a software update or something.

Kikimora
Explorer
Options

we have the same problem: One connect box + Sabre DAC. For me - Samsung, Marantz, Sabre ESS tech no answer...

simplicyk
Explorer
Options

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Intermittent-audio-cutting-out-with-optical-toslink-The-Frame...

In this topic everything is explained. My Sabre dac has dpll settings and with the highest jitter corrections it works perfectly fine with TV apps, it sometimes stutter with HDMI sources but after powering off and on the dac it works. I have cancelled technician visit as for sure they would not find solution for that.

Anonymous_P
Journeyman
Options

Hi there,

I got a response back from Samsung assistance in which they blame the optical audio receiver.

They made me do some tests with other receivers and since the problem stood still they passed me through other levels of "expertise".

At the end of the story, in front of the objective evidence of their software bug (buffer, codec, signaling, whatever...)  they said that all receivers I tested were not officially compatible. I tried to explain that is a standard they should reference to and not the receiver, but they were completely depth to the standardization topic.

Disheartened, I asked what would a "compatible device" be and they answered me that the Samsung soundbar is, which works on bluetooth.

I thought they were joking and wasting my time and since I'm an engineer, I asked to "the assistance" for the optical toslink compatibility specification sheet. They just closed the ticket and never answer to me again.

Honestly, I think this is the worst way to handle a bug. I do understand there in no interest in updating a TV that is going to be old in few months, but neglecting an issue that is wide spread is the worst kind of publicity they could do.

Sorry guys, I am more than sure that this is not going to be sorted out. We might have to ditch the optical toslink port and buy a receiver that supports hdmi arc, hoping that this issue does not afflicts that too.

Of course in the future I won't even consider buying another Samsung device and will advertise against every client, friend and will report on social media, too.

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Anonymous_P ,

would you be able to send us a message from this profile https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1716597 with more information so we can have a look at your case and try to get this sorted?

Anonymous_P
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

are you asking me to send you a private message with more detailed information?