Support

Open search

Not turning on Apple TV via HDMI CEC after TVOS 13

First Poster

In TVOS 13 Apple changed the commands to turn on the (external) Apple TV. 

The TV is a 2018 Q9F model.

But now when I select Apple TV as input via the TV remote, the Apple it is not switched on (like it did before).  This has worked always, via HDMI CEC.

I suppose Samsung must do a change the firmware to send the new key sequence to the Apple TV,  to turn it on?

A workaround is to press the "back" button on Samsung remote (this sends "menu" key,  and is what now turns it on). But try to explain that to the rest of the family...

Anybody has something else that works better?

4 REPLIES 4
Mastermind

Very good observation @NilsNoldus  thanks you for the info and we will need to explain to a Official Technics as a Moderetor here.

I do not understand why Apple changed id if you have the same buttons and the same Apple remote control...

Could be interesting to know 

Apprentice

Absolutely having the same issue. I have a 2017 Q7f and an Apple TV 4K, I've been pulling my hair out thinking this was a TV issue, have performed multiple resets as well. Nice to know I'm not the only one having this issue. Do we know if Samsung are looking into this for the next update?
I'm on 2017.3 update (most recent). 

Observer
Im having the same issue and will be keen to know what the fix for this is
Explorer

Mine works  OK but in the past I have found that the TV learns what to do CEC-wise and memorises it. Any change may make it start anew.

I have found that unplugging all power leads, pausing, then reconnecting leaving the TV to last with pauses between each reconnection works best. Sometimes I have repeated it several times! And then keep turning the ATV box on and off.

Swearing may or may not help. And even less helpful is my memory - TV first or last? Curses! My sympathies as it really is a pain - but it always works in the end. Maybe that's down to the swearing?

Top Liked Authors