Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 27-09-2018 04:51 PM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

As much as I totally agree with most folks views in here in regards to Samsung been sellout by dropping DTS support, there are methods around it to avoid purchasing an "inferior" or not as "desirable" tv.

If you have an Amplifier/Reciever or Soundbar that supports everything you need, just passthrough that. That's what I do.

I have my Sky Q, PS4 Pro, Nvidia Shield TV & Intel NUC8i5 hooked up this way rather than direct to the TV (65Q9FN). I have zero issues playing anything from standard DTS all the way up to DTS:X or Dolby Atmos.

I'll reiterate though, I think SmugSung are absolute sellouts & have completly lost touch with there customers.

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
Protego
Student
Options

You are absolutely right and I would have been able to easily use the Xiaomi S Android Tv box, which I already have, but I simply refused to spend a considerable amount on a brand new tv only to be using it with the same box that I have been using so far. The very idea of having to use additional devices in order to ... hear the sound of a particular video creeps me. 

orbeavhawk12
Journeyman
Options

I finally invested in a N. Shield so I could/can by-pass the Q9FN lack of Audio Format Support......Happy to see now on my Denon that Dolby Atmos is listed as a choice often when I choose a program or movie.....BUT.....one problem, have not been able to have the Denoon actually switch to that Format.  Say it shows it playing in DD+ DDS, but when I have it show me my other options for this Source, it lists Dolby Atmos, but if I choose it, it reverst back to what had already been chosen by the AVR.

Can someone please tell me if and where I might tweak some setting that I presently do not realize needs tweeking??

TKS

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk12 wrote:

I finally invested in a N. Shield so I could/can by-pass the Q9FN lack of Audio Format Support......Happy to see now on my Denon that Dolby Atmos is listed as a choice often when I choose a program or movie.....BUT.....one problem, have not been able to have the Denoon actually switch to that Format.  Say it shows it playing in DD+ DDS, but when I have it show me my other options for this Source, it lists Dolby Atmos, but if I choose it, it reverst back to what had already been chosen by the AVR.

Can someone please tell me if and where I might tweak some setting that I presently do not realize needs tweeking??

TKS

You need to set the vidia to bitstream out. Pcm out will not work. I had same issue. 

orbeavhawk12
Journeyman
Options

PAUL again TKS:  Now, please tell me where you found in NS's settings where to do that?

I googled trying to get that answer....but all I could find is you need to install Plex, Kodi, or SMPC to get Bitstream GOODNESS.......hope not.

TKS  michael

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk12 wrote:

PAUL again TKS:  Now, please tell me where you found in NS's settings where to do that?

I googled trying to get that answer....but all I could find is you need to install Plex, Kodi, or SMPC to get Bitstream GOODNESS.......hope not.

TKS  michael

Yep I use Kodi, takes a little bit to set up in the audio settings but will play anything. VLC player is another easier player which will also send out bitstream.  Both available from the play store free. 

orbeavhawk12
Journeyman
Options

TKS:  Been trying SPMC with it's Shield recommended settings to NO Avail.  Do not want to deal with KODI itself....will now dnld VLC....hope they all don't cause a conflict!  What a hassle!  Thought this was going to be a "piece oof cake"  buy and install N.Shield and setup = WALA: ALL Audio Formats thru AVR.  In YO Dreams eh?

tks - 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk12 wrote:

TKS:  Been trying SPMC with it's Shield recommended settings to NO Avail.  Do not want to deal with KODI itself....will now dnld VLC....hope they all don't cause a conflict!  What a hassle!  Thought this was going to be a "piece oof cake"  buy and install N.Shield and setup = WALA: ALL Audio Formats thru AVR.  In YO Dreams eh?

Kodi and spmc are the same. 

You need in the settings, in audio expert, just change bitstream out, enable DTS HD, and Dolby HD, should all work. 

VLC should just work. 

orbeavhawk12
Journeyman
Options

"You need in the settings, in audio expert, just change bitstream out, enable DTS HD, and Dolby HD, should all work. 

VLC should just work. "

As you must know in SPMC, teh word Bitstream is absent:  Their directions for setting up for N.Shield are clear enough and they tell you to set that 1st setting which actually is Bitstream to not the one I thought [RAW] but to one with 3 Letters [AIE or something], You have to chooose it twice in expert, I have done that and all the rest, and then tried RAW...nothing works.  Then installed PLEX and turned on PASSTHROUGH - nothing!  

I stumbled on a You Tube Video where this fella had a Samsung, not our model, but was having similar problem, and I thoought for sure that I was Blessed to have found it, but did not work.

Sounded like he had everything set like me but then he went back into the Samsung\Settings\Auudio\Expert\ then:

"Diagnose Outpuut Audio....    and it is set to      PCM  [when clicked on DD and DD+ are grayed out]  He said you want/need that set to DD+ instead of PCM.....he started a Movie that he knew was in DD+, then left it runniing and went back to that Setting, clicked on PCM and low and behold the DD+ was now Black and available, so he entered it....and then had FULL BitStream.

WHAT to do?  Tried too get to N.S. Support but it sent me to the Forums.  You have same TV as me and others here have been suuccessful at this......thanks to Samsung I had to pay this EXTRA $ to get what should have been provided by them and now.....more headaches!

THANKS 4 YOUR Help!   michael

0 Likes
orbeavhawk12
Journeyman
Options

GOOD NEWS 4 a CHANGE!

Using the same method I shared above about how the U Tube Video showed how to get rid of that PCM Setting in Advanced Settings and change it to DD+.....I was able to finally do the same, and did change it to DD+.....then pulled up "Jack Ryan" on Prime, it's in D. ATMOS.....WALA.....It's ALIVE!   So I now get Atmos using N. Shield OR just the TV and it's APPS.

FINALLY.....What a relief!   Thank YOU, Lord!  Amen

0 Likes