Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 02-03-2019 09:02 AM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
zite747
Student
Options
I for example, have purchased from day 1 since I bought my Q6 2018 TV, a Xiaomi mi box S (wich is connected trough HDMI), and all the trouble with the DTS have gone. Now I can play movies encoded with DTS on this box from it's USB port, using a simple memory stick or a HDD. Much simpler solution in my opinion instead of waiting for a possible fix from Samsung.
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@zite747 wrote:
I for example, have purchased from day 1 since I bought my Q6 2018 TV, a Xiaomi mi box S (wich is connected trough HDMI), and all the trouble with the DTS have gone. Now I can play movies encoded with DTS on this box from it's USB port, using a simple memory stick or a HDD. Much simpler solution in my opinion instead of waiting for a possible fix from Samsung.

But that is not right. Did you know before you bought the expensive tv that Samsung had removed the DTS support? 

0 Likes
zite747
Student
Options
Yes, I knew this problem right from the beginning before I purchased the TV. But I thought this workaround fix using xiaomi mi box S is the saving solution to have the best experience in my opinion. Plus now I have Tizen and Android TV(quite very responsive one) on my Samsung.
0 Likes
bluntlaser
First Poster
Options

I've had this TV a few months, i've only just started watching blu rays and a surprising amount with no Dolby Digital option, just DTS only.  I just don't know why Samsung did this. Is there any chance they'll reverse it? Anyone have any painless workarounds?! I've just bought a 4K player that doesn't decode DTS, are there any players that do?!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@bluntlaser wrote:

I've had this TV a few months, i've only just started watching blu rays and a surprising amount with no Dolby Digital option, just DTS only.  I just don't know why Samsung did this. Is there any chance they'll reverse it? Anyone have any painless workarounds?! I've just bought a 4K player that doesn't decode DTS, are there any players that do?!

It supports Dolby digital+ not DTS. 

0 Likes
Omar-Os
Journeyman
Options

This is a MASSIVE dissapointment !!! I'm returning my 55NU7100 and getting an LG.

0 Likes
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

When I bought my Q9FN I also bought a Sony HT-ZF9 soundbar with SA-ZF9 rear speakers.

I use a NUC8i5 & Shield TV for most media.

I have them hooked up directly to the soundbar which decodes all the video & audio inc 4K HDR, Dolby Atmos & DTS X...plus all the other formats of audio.

Totally gets around any issues I had in regards to DTS not being supported by the Q9. 

An absolutely pathetic move by Samsung & it's a crying shame most reviewers don't make a big point about it.

I'm sure it will get more coverage this year and hopefully Samsung lose plenty of sales because of it.

My understanding (I may be wrong) is that the 2018 range if TVs originally supported DTS, but it was disabled via firmware update. 

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
orbeavhawk
Journeyman
Options

Is there some way we can SKIP using the Q9FN's ARC Port and go direct from another HDMI to the AVR....would that possibly solve anything?

0 Likes
orbeavhawk
Journeyman
Options

IF I'd only known that this Samsung FLAGSHIP QLED TV" Viusally was engineered to be THE latest and geatest BUT at the same time when it came time to do the same with it's Audio capabilities they decided to "break it's knees" and take it back in time to near 2 Channel Stereo.  I wish I knew this before going into debt on this, I'd would have bought an LG OLED for less than I paid for this crippled sucker!  THANKS Samsung....I am now an EX Customer!

0 Likes
Gav45
First Poster
Options

Will Samsung take TV back as it does not have the audio codecs for DTS etc 

The sound control is appalling also and never seems to be the same level 

0 Likes