Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 26-02-2019 07:44 PM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
Sebas76
Explorer
Options

The problem is that I (like many of us) bought the Samsung TV (and the Samsung soundbar) because I just trusted the company and, as you say, I did not check all the details.

I bought Samsung TVs years ago at 200 euros that were actually decoding DTS, it was just impossible for me to imagine that QLED TV in 2018 (at much higher price) were not able to decode DTS !!

Same thing for the Soundbar, how can they put an HDMI input that has no HDR passthrough in 2018 ??

Furthermore, the communication of Samsung apparently has been very bad and some shops (at least in France) were actually claiming “DTS” on these TVs !!

I think that Samsung really has been damaging customers' confidence with their choices and I really would like to hear from them on this.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Sebas76 wrote:

The problem is that I (like many of us) bought the Samsung TV (and the Samsung soundbar) because I just trusted the company and, as you say, I did not check all the details.

I bought Samsung TVs years ago at 200 euros that were actually decoding DTS, it was just impossible for me to imagine that QLED TV in 2018 (at much higher price) were not able to decode DTS !!

Same thing for the Soundbar, how can they put an HDMI input that has no HDR passthrough in 2018 ??

Furthermore, the communication of Samsung apparently has been very bad and some shops (at least in France) were actually claiming “DTS” on these TVs !!

I think that Samsung really has been damaging customers' confidence with their choices and I really would like to hear from them on this.

Yes it is odd.  I know Panasonic did not support DTS in there 2016 models but changed in 2018 I think. But for what should be a premium product you get the cheaper Hinence (think right spelling)  does and will pass through Dolby Atmos as well. Does not make sense,  penny pinching at its worst. 

Paul

0 Likes
Creeper
Journeyman
Options

Thank you Paul!

0 Likes
Creeper
Journeyman
Options
Hey Paul, a couple of very silly questions but with Samsung you've got to be extra careful.
1) Since divX is also missing if i put movies on a USB and connect the USB not to the TV but to the blu-ray player will they play?
2) Does this Samsung TV supports PAL and NTSC? Will blu-ray discs from Europe with PAL and from USA with NTSC play without a problem or will i face another unpleasant surprise?
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Creeper wrote:
Hey Paul, a couple of very silly questions but with Samsung you've got to be extra careful.
1) Since divX is also missing if i put movies on a USB and connect the USB not to the TV but to the blu-ray player will they play?
2) Does this Samsung TV supports PAL and NTSC? Will blu-ray discs from Europe with PAL and from USA with NTSC play without a problem or will i face another unpleasant surprise?

I think yes to both. 

Creeper
Journeyman
Options

Paul can you please recommend me  a soundbar with two HDMI 2.0b ports? One for my UHD player and one for my regular blu--ray player. I want DTS sound for both when they play discs with DTS only sound.

Creeper
Journeyman
Options

Also Paul you told me that if connect the blu-ray or uhd player to a soundbar with HDMI 2.0b or a Denon receiver like yours it would solve the problem with  DTS. But in a previous post you wrote and i quote "I the q9f connected to my Denon receiver and it did Send a Dolby digital+ signal,  but not DTS".  So help me undrestand because i am NOT TECH SAVVY AT ALL! How is the solution you proposed to me in order to solve the DTS problem going to work if your Denon receiver which supports HDMI 2.0b and you had connected your Samsung Q9F TV did not send DTS? Were you ever able to listen to DTS normally when you had the Samsung Q9F TV? And if yes why did replace Samsung wit LG C8? Please help me understand because i was just about to buy the Samsung TV. And i really don't want any other TV because an LG 75 OLED TV costs a fortune, has the risk of burn-in, loses brightness overtime etc. On the other hand most of my blu-ray movies support only DTS and definitely don't a situation where i am going to use my TV just for watching sports! So please clarify, i will greatly appreciate it!!!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Creeper wrote:

Paul can you please recommend me  a soundbar with two HDMI 2.0b ports? One for my UHD player and one for my regular blu--ray player. I want DTS sound for both when they play discs with DTS only sound.

No because I am not an expert. What I do suggest is Richer Sounds,  and tell them what you want,  best in writing,  I. E.  By email.  Or go in their shop and ask the questions. I do not recommend Curry's or John Lewis,  due issues we have had with them.  More info on that in ks refund thread.  If you want real surround look at at a proper Atmos system.  I have a Denon av costing £499 plus Atmos speakers £600  + and additional sunb woofer £200. Sounds amazing. Also the new Denon are HDMI 2.1 which 2019 models are.  That means they would send through DTS HD Dolby digital HD and full Atmos and also  DTS x  .

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Creeper wrote:

Also Paul you told me that if connect the blu-ray or uhd player to a soundbar with HDMI 2.0b or a Denon receiver like yours it would solve the problem with  DTS. But in a previous post you wrote and i quote "I the q9f connected to my Denon receiver and it did Send a Dolby digital+ signal,  but not DTS".  So help me undrestand because i am NOT TECH SAVVY AT ALL! How is the solution you proposed to me in order to solve the DTS problem going to work if your Denon receiver which supports HDMI 2.0b and you had connected your Samsung Q9F TV did not send DTS? Were you ever able to listen to DTS normally when you had the Samsung Q9F TV? And if yes why did replace Samsung wit LG C8? Please help me understand because i was just about to buy the Samsung TV. And i really don't want any other TV because an LG 75 OLED TV costs a fortune, has the risk of burn-in, loses brightness overtime etc. On the other hand most of my blu-ray movies support only DTS and definitely don't a situation where i am going to use my TV just for watching sports! So please clarify, i will greatly appreciate it!!!

Yes the Samsung dose send a Dolby digital+ visit via arc HDMI to my Denon,  but will NOYB send a DTS.  In fact if you connect the bluray  to the tv it will not play DTS. You would have to connect the player to a receiver first and receiver to tv via arc HDMI to get DTS,  that should work,  but could still have an issue with the receiver sending DTS to tv. I am not sure,  but the receiver sends just  the picture and no sound to the tv that is why  it worked for me. 

As for the tv,  I had a ks9500,  lovely tv but would not record and hlg problem. Samsung replaced with the q9f which was horrible dull and HDR  very poor. Then tried the 8 k q900r and you very bright,  but it was just to much. My soon said it looked over blown,  and standard def was horribly.  Subtitles just bloomed,  not good.  So tried the c8, one reason was the Atmos out with Netflix. It is in my eyes a thing of beauty. Still bright,  but natural,  and very 3d due to the contrast. Also very economical to run. The burn issue is  to do I think with playing games and static images. The wand you get is also brilliant. 

Creeper
Journeyman
Options

Thanks!

0 Likes