Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 26-02-2019 01:12 PM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

Ok, but that works since you have a passthrough setup to your reciever, and in turn your reciever is the one doing all of the audio processing.

I only have the TV, and it is my main audio output device, which in turn means that I have to transcode all of my high definition videos to an old AC3 or EAC3 codec for it to work. Not even FLAC is supported properly.

Even if they would transcode DTS-X or Dolby Atmos to core DTS/Dolby codecs I would be happy, as it would be a more complete/acceptable solution, as oppoused to the current solution: buy our new shiny soundbar and than you can use everything as you would expect (in 2019).

As far as mod replies is concerend. Yes I saw that they exist, lol. But if you look at the number of threads and posts within those threads (just recently), where people complain about serious day-to-day issues, none of those topics were acknowledged by the moderators.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Mirko_Brand wrote:

Ok, but that works since you have a passthrough setup to your reciever, and in turn your reciever is the one doing all of the audio processing.

I only have the TV, and it is my main audio output device, which in turn means that I have to transcode all of my high definition videos to an old AC3 or EAC3 codec for it to work. Not even FLAC is supported properly.

Even if they would transcode DTS-X or Dolby Atmos to core DTS/Dolby codecs I would be happy, as it would be a more complete/acceptable solution, as oppoused to the current solution: buy our new shiny soundbar and than you can use everything as you would expect (in 2019).

Yep you are very right.  Samsung has never been good on the sound out put.  To be fair no tv really can complete with a proper receiver Dolby Atmos system.  I watched Bohemian Rhapsody on a 65lg c8 using the receiver nearly on full,  with an Atmos soundtrack and it was absolutely brilliant. When I switched between tv sound and the full Atmos sound it just brought a smile to my face. Good picture is one thing,  but immersive sound brings a whole new dimension. Worth it. 

0 Likes
Creeper
Journeyman
Options
Hello. I am thinking of buying a Samsung Q9FN TV model but i am a bit concerned because it does not support DTS Sound. Many of my blu-ray discs offer only DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound as an option. Does this mean that i will not be able to experience loseless sound or even worse not sound at all? Please help!
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Creeper wrote:
Hello. I am thinking of buying a Samsung Q9FN TV model but i am a bit concerned because it does not support DTS Sound. Many of my blu-ray discs offer only DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound as an option. Does this mean that i will not be able to experience loseless sound or even worse not sound at all? Please help!

If you want DTS stay well clear of the Samsung.  Or get a separate good quality soundbar or even better get a Atmos DTS receiver and Atmos speakers,  which is what I have and is far better than any tv sound.  It is the immersive sound which is so good.  I know the new Panasonic have Dolby Atmos speakers and think also support DTS.  The top of the range lg also support Atmos from Netflix and have a decent soundbar.  

Creeper
Journeyman
Options

I really want to buy this model of Samsung because i want my TV to be at least 75 inches and the other oled TVs of that size cost insane amount of money. The question is if my blu-ray discs who support only DTS sound will have any sound at all with this TV.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Creeper wrote:

I really want to buy this model of Samsung because i want my TV to be at least 75 inches and the other oled TVs of that size cost insane amount of money. The question is if my blu-ray discs who support only DTS sound will have any sound at all with this TV.

Simple answer unless Samsung fix it,  which I think is unlikely,  then no. 

Creeper
Journeyman
Options

What about if i connect a soundbar to the Samsung TV?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Creeper wrote:

No if you connect to the arc HDMI out,  as the tv will not pass through DTS. But if you buy a Dolby Atmos,  DTS soundbar with HDMI in you can connect the blue ray player to the soundbar then the soundbar to the tv via the arc HDMI and that will work. That's why I said you need a separate sound system. 

Paul

Sebas76
Explorer
Options

@Creeper wrote:

I actually bought a soundbar from Samsung (model HW-N650) and unfortunately it is completely useless for one reason: the HDMI input has no HDR passthrough (despite of the fact that it is 2.0)… just unbelievable !!

In other words, I must connect the Blu-ray player directly to the TV if I want to take advantage of the HDR… but then I have no DTS !!

Thank you Samsung, well done !!

Next time I will think twice before buying Samsung products…

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Sebas76 wrote:

@Creeper wrote:

I actually bought a soundbar from Samsung (model HW-N650) and unfortunately it is completely useless for one reason: the HDMI input has no HDR passthrough (despite of the fact that it is 2.0)… just unbelievable !!

In other words, I must connect the Blu-ray player directly to the TV if I want to take advantage of the HDR… but then I have no DTS !!

Thank you Samsung, well done !!

Next time I will think twice before buying Samsung products…

Yep check what you are buying meets your needs.  You need to make sure it is HDMI 2.0b which will pass through HDR.  I have a Denon receiver I bought 3 years back and it supports all formats and very recently they updated it to HLG and Dolby vision support.  It would be good if Samsung looked after their existing customers the same. Sound bars are ok but a full Atmos setup with rear and hight speakers is the way to go. 

0 Likes