Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 25-02-2019 05:47 AM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Leet2274 wrote:

So you wont even get 5.1 from all the netflix originals etc...

Netflix is Dolby Digital+ and Dolby Atmos if you have a LG of Microsoft,  not DTS. 

0 Likes
Nathan9
First Poster
Options

I'll never trust reviews again as I bought q9fn based on motion reviews.  Many directv channels are unwatchable due to frame drops and judder

0 Likes
Alicon
Journeyman
Options

Today I bought this tv and I was shocked finding it doesn't support DTS audio!

I live in UK, do you think there is a method to return it without losing money?

of course I've used the tv today,so it is not unpacked etc...

0 Likes
wgn
Journeyman
Options

Of course you can return it back, you have 2 week right to return it back a long you have a receipt  

0 Likes
Jimjim1
Apprentice
Options

I see but if using the Samsung Netflix app dose it do the dts decoding for passthrough?

Or would we need to play netflix through plex?

I realise all dts issues can be resolved by running everything though av reciever and plex for network media but I usually plug usb hdd into tv for movies as streaming 4k over wifi would be too slow.

Av receiver  dose not have usb input so can I plug in usb to tv and use a samsung t.v. app to play movies on usb and get passthrouh?

Cheers

0 Likes
Jimjim1
Apprentice
Options

Are Lg and Sony doing all sound formats in their 2018/19 lineups

0 Likes
barry_lyndon
Student
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
Hi @Ian6xtreme

It states in the user manual that DTS and DiVX codecs are not supported on TV models after 2018, and at this time there is no news about re-instating support for it in the future. Apologies for any disappointment this may cause you.

Hi Andrew,

Previously there were some posts by you that we should wait for the next firmware update and Samsung was working to fix the issue.  What happened and these posts were deleted?

0 Likes
Jimjim1
Apprentice
Options

What dose netflix usually stream as Dts? or can a variety of sound formats be chosen?  My av recieved only has Dts and Dolby available but the Dolby dose not sound as good as dts.

0 Likes
Jimjim1
Apprentice
Options

@Ian6xtreme wrote:

I have now installed Plex media server and plex media player to view all my content. On a qnap Nas. This fixes the problem as I now have audio on all my dts content. Although it is not ideal. 

https://kutlime.wordpress.com/2018/11/13/the-state-of-the-art-reflection-about-hdr-samsung-great-har...

Good work.

Can you explain your connection below.

nas drive connected to tv via hdmi then plex app on tv used to play clips ?

Nas accesssed through wifi with samsung tv and played?

Can you get netflixs tv app passing dts with that setup

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jimjim1 wrote:

I see but if using the Samsung Netflix app dose it do the dts decoding for passthrough?

Or would we need to play netflix through plex?

I realise all dts issues can be resolved by running everything though av reciever and plex for network media but I usually plug usb hdd into tv for movies as streaming 4k over wifi would be too slow.

Av receiver  dose not have usb input so can I plug in usb to tv and use a samsung t.v. app to play movies on usb and get passthrouh?

Cheers

Hi Netflix is Dolby Digital+ not DTS,  and sends such signal to an av receiver.  It will not pass through DTS,  so any films in DTS will not work. That includes films on USB. Thats one of the reasons I went with LG as it will play DTS,  and will pass through Dolby atmos,  even from Netflix. 

0 Likes