Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 28-10-2018 11:26 AM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
AndrewL
Options
Hi @Ian6xtreme

It states in the user manual that DTS and DiVX codecs are not supported on TV models after 2018, and at this time there is no news about re-instating support for it in the future. Apologies for any disappointment this may cause you.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
Hi @Ian6xtreme

It states in the user manual that DTS and DiVX codecs are not supported on TV models after 2018, and at this time there is no news about re-instating support for it in the future. Apologies for any disappointment this may cause you.

I did not know that! Another reason why I won't be buying a Samsung. It is amazing that so called top spec premium TV's are getting fewer specs. Why has Samsung done this? That was one of the good things with the audio support but this is a real backwards step, and it seems to have been kept quiet.

Paul

Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
Hi @Ian6xtreme

Thanks for the reply Andrew.  I know it's in the manual. That doesn't really answer my question though. Is there any particular reason for Samsung dropping the support for dts and DivX ? A lot of streamed video content online come with dts audio. 

I feel that Samsung have dropped the ball on this if there isn't going to be a firmware update with support for dts in particular. 

As my tv is less than a month old. I may have to consider looking at other brands and swapping it for a more suitable model.

Very disappointing indeed. 

I know this issue has been raised in both Germany and the United States on Samsung forums.

Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options
0 Likes
GaborH
Apprentice
Options

Hi @Ian6xtreme,

Thanks for the info, I was just about to buy this TV, but I go after the possibilities before I jump into it then.

So thinking about it, is that correct, that even the TV itself is not DTS capable, you can still connect a proper audio device to the One Connect box, and it will be able to decode the signal?

I guess this depends on the way the One Connect works.

So is it like it send the HMI signal to the TV,  depending on the audio settings it send back the signal to the One Connect (via ARC feature), and it is forwarded then to the sound system?

If so, is the TV capable of audio pass-through, and it send the untouched DTS back?

Or is there any functionality in the One Connect, and it is programmed by the TV, so it can send any audio (including DTS) to the receiver?

Regards,

Gabor

Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

@GaborH wrote:

Hi @Ian6xtreme,

Thanks for the info, I was just about to buy this TV, but I go after the possibilities before I jump into it then.

So thinking about it, is that correct, that even the TV itself is not DTS capable, you can still connect a proper audio device to the One Connect box, and it will be able to decode the signal?

So is it like it send the HMI signal to the TV,  depending on the audio settings it send back the signal to the One Connect (via ARC feature), and it is forwarded then to the sound system?

If so, is the TV capable of audio pass-through, and it send the untouched DTS back?

Or is there any functionality in the One Connect, and it is programmed by the TV, so it can send any audio (including DTS) to the receiver?

Regards,

Gabor

Hiya.

I have mine connected to a Yamaha RX-A1050 Avr which supports dts.  I have tried all sorts of settings to try and resolve the issue to no avail. I've even restored the avr to factory settings and started again. Still no luck I'm afraid. 

A lot of my films are sat so it's very frustrating. 

I just don't understand why day isn't supported as a lot of blue ray films are dts. 

If I had known the issues I would be having. I would of definately looked at the LG oleds and not bought the Qled .

This has definately dented my brand loyalty regarding tv's. 

I'd recommend looking at other brand tv's to check if they support dts before you spend your hard earned on a Qled .

I'm just hoping Samsung see the light and release a firmware update that supports dts. As it's a backward step in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ian6xtreme wrote:

@GaborH wrote:

Hi @Ian6xtreme,

Regards,

Gabor

Hiya.

I have mine connected to a Yamaha RX-A1050 Avr which supports dts.  I have tried all sorts of settings to try and resolve the issue to no avail. I've even restored the avr to factory settings and started again. Still no luck I'm afraid. 

I just don't understand why day isn't supported as a lot of blue ray films are dts. 

If I had known the issues I would be having. I would of definately looked at the LG oleds and not bought the Qled .

I'd recommend looking at other brand tv's to check if they support dts before you spend your hard earned on a Qled .

I'm just hoping Samsung see the light and release a firmware update that supports dts. As it's a backward step in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

I think it is a cost-cutting exercise, so they don't have to pay the DTS royalty. The TV does not support bitstream passthrough and will only send DD+ through ARC. This means you need to connect other DTS devices direct to your AV receiver or Soundbar via HDMI. IT's a shame because I know the KS did support DTS and would play just about any format you sent it. I know use a shield TV connected to an av receiver which is a way to get round. Also, the new xbox will do the same and if you have Netflix it will send Atmos 4k HDR to your receiver as well.

Paul

Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Ian6xtreme wrote:

@GaborH wrote:

Hi @Ian6xtreme,

Regards,

Gabor

Hiya.

Hope this helps.

I think it is a cost-cutting exercise, so they don't have to pay the DTS royalty. The TV does not support bitstream passthrough and will only send DD+ through ARC. This means you need to connect other DTS devices direct to your AV receiver or Soundbar via HDMI. IT's a shame because I know the KS did support DTS and would play just about any format you sent it. I know use a shield TV connected to an av receiver which is a way to get round. Also, the new xbox will do the same and if you have Netflix it will send Atmos 4k HDR to your receiver as well.

Paul

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the info. 

It would be nice if Samsung could give an honest explanation of why the Qled doesn't support dts?

I've uploaded my films onto a qnap Nas. This is connected directly to my Avr. 

Which is then connected to the tv. 

I was hoping this would solve the problem. Unfortunately it hasn't.

I'll look into shield tv to see if that will resolve the problem.  More info on this would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ian6xtreme wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@Ian6xtreme wrote:

@GaborH wrote:

Hi @Ian6xtreme,

Regards,

Gabor

Hiya.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the info. 

It would be nice if Samsung could give an honest explanation of why the Qled doesn't support dts?

I've uploaded my films onto a qnap Nas. This is connected directly to my Avr. 

Which is then connected to the tv. 

I was hoping this would solve the problem. Unfortunately it hasn't.

I'll look into shield tv to see if that will resolve the problem.  More info on this would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

The shield is great and will send 4k HDR through. YouTube 4k but not HDR.  It will send bitstream which means you can get Atmos and DTS.  I use Kodi as a media player which works great,  just need to enable the pass through in the settings. Netflix is 4 k and HDR but does not send Atmos. At the moment it is Microsoft with the Xbox and windows 10 on my laptop. It would be great if you could get a telly that does it all,  and I can not understand wht TVs cannot have a separate HDMI audio out that can send full bitstream,  and you would not need arc. It may happen with earc,  and HDMI 2.1.

Paul