Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 02-06-2019 11:40 AM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
joasjoas
Apprentice
Options

I am somewhat involved with the DTS, since according to what I read, some reproduce it by USB connected to the TV (I really do not believe it)
I'm very interested in the Q9, my question, is there any way I can listen to DTS with my settings? (Soundbar bose 700, nvidia shield TV) I'm afraid that if I want DTS I'll have to choose another TV brand .....

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@joasjoas wrote:

I am somewhat involved with the DTS, since according to what I read, some reproduce it by USB connected to the TV (I really do not believe it)
I'm very interested in the Q9, my question, is there any way I can listen to DTS with my settings? (Soundbar bose 700, nvidia shield TV) I'm afraid that if I want DTS I'll have to choose another TV brand .....

No you can not play DTS media through you Samsung tv. But if you have a shield like I have just play DTS media through that. I use Kodi as the media player, just make sure in Kodi settings you set the pass through to on and enable the high end audio, and enjoy. You can also use VLC, but I would not recommend using the inbuilt media player as the menu system is rubbish. As long as your shield is connected direct soundbar, ll should be good. 

orbeavhawk12
Journeyman
Options
Do u know IF, Emby or Plex will also suffice as Media Players like you use KODI for? I don't want to use KODI, I know it's great, but too complicated for this Senor! TKS
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk12 wrote:
Do u know IF, Emby or Plex will also suffice as Media Players like you use KODI for? I don't want to use KODI, I know it's great, but too complicated for this Senor! TKS

You can use VLC media player which you can download from the apps. Kodi is well worth trying, it looks complicated but is not that bad, and once you use you will not regret as it will play anything you throw at it. 

Paul

Schoultze
First Poster
Options

You can't connect any device to the Bose Soundbar 700 as it only has one HDMI  that goes to the tv.  I guess the answer is no then. You can't play DTS through a Samsung tv if you have a soundbar with only one HDMI :S  I was going to buy a new Samsung tv but since my old Samsung supports DTS I will either stick with that for a while or go over to another brand for the first time since 2005. 😞 Disapointed!

EuIulian
First Poster
Options

You dont have DTS support but the most anoying thing is the AC3 (ac-52) is missing as well. So preatty much all movies are not playable on this model. Also you don't have DLNA support or network share. I don't care so much for the image since I cannot use it on the first place

j0p3Y
Explorer
Options

@ToonTonic wrote:

No DTS was a terrible move by Samsung, yet remember it was removed via firmware for the Q9FN, so should a deal be struck again we may get it back.

Samsung international, Samsung UK and Samsung Netherlands all confirmed me they won't be adding DTS by firmware update.

So no fingers crossed, it won't happen!

0 Likes
AppieK
First Poster
Options

So I will buy LG. 

BR Rick

Omar-Os
Journeyman
Options

@AppieK wrote:

So I will buy LG. 

BR Rick

Me too.

Protego
Student
Options

I really love my Samsung Tvs and was looking forward to buy a new 75 inch one for my living room. Luckily I researched a bit and learnt that all Samsung tvs starting with 2018 no longer support DTS, which means there won't be any sound whatsoever for all clips and movies that have DTS sound. As a result I ended up buying a 75 inch LG NanoCell tv. I must say I am not perfectly happy with it because of the inherent light bleeding plaguing most of LG's edge LED tvs, but I am quite happy that it can play everything I throw at it and to be honest the WebOS is surprisingly responsive, not to mention that the app store includes everything I am using plus a great DLNA client. In conclusion, sorry Samsung, although image quality is probably significantly better with your tvs, I will never buy one again as long as DTS will not be supported.