Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 11-05-2019 12:53 PM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
Ridvanselcuk
First Poster
Options

so whats the model of soundbar you use now may I ask?

0 Likes
kamil4114
First Poster
Options

Hello guys!

I'm interested in buying Samsung Q9FN TV, but as I'm reading the forum about the lack of support for DTS, so I started wandering... 

I have an amplifier - Denon AVR-X3500H which supports DTS:X and also Dolby Atmos and I'm just thinking what if I would connect mine Apple TV 4K (on which I'm using Netflix) to Denon amplifier and than amplifier to Samsung TV through ARC port, would it support DTS:X encoding by amplifier and than send a 4K image to a TV ?  And I'm assuming it would be possible to stream also sound in Dolby Atmos to amplifier and again send only picture to a TV even if TV doesn't support Dolby Atmos, but I guess it's a job of amplifier to decode signal ?

Am I thinking right ? 

Sharkkeeper
Student
Options

Lots of moaning here about no dts support i own 2018 65q9fn and i use a arcam hd sa20 2 channal amp with focal aria 926 floorstanders so i dont need dts the sound i get is roomfilling and lovely, i could of bought a lg c8 but with nits well under a 1000 and screen burn risk i am glad i got q9fn, 2000 nits is much much better for 4k hdr

orbeavhawk
Journeyman
Options

Whoops! I was just reading an article about knowing IF you are truly getting Dolby ATMOS etc. and finally it dawned on me, the reason I no longer have DAtmos is I "screwed" up the way I connected everything up when I got this new Q9FN.....PLEASE help me get this corrected!
In my previous Samsung HDTVs, the ARC Connections were all laid out on the back of my AVRs. it was a piece of cake, ONE OUT to HDTV and All components INTO the AVR Inputs....along came this Q9FN and it's ONE CONNECT Box, w/o a written Manual, and the on line instructions confused me even more than my normal confusion! It appeared to me in trying to connect up like I used to, I couldn't, and I HAD to now use Optical Digital I/O.....so that is what I did.....and I read today that using that connections you will NOT be able to receive Atmos or DTS Signals.
My AVR is the Denon AVR X3400H......I know I now need to disconnect Optical/Digital.....and I believe I connected the ARC on the TV to the ARC on the AVR......I also have a 4K BluRay Player that is working in present setup BUT please also tell me the correct way it should be connected up using the ONE Connect.....I FEAR.....I I may have FOOBOOED that too????

PS:    I have Cut da Cable, prior to this I was w Cable, so I'd go fm AVR\ Cab/Sat to TV, should I do the same to get AVR working with the Q9FN.....I presently have my Firestick 4K jacked into an HDMI IN on ONE Connect????
Thank YOU, michael

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk wrote:

Whoops! I was just reading an article about knowing IF you are truly getting Dolby ATMOS etc. and finally it dawned on me, the reason I no longer have DAtmos is I "screwed" up the way I connected everything up when I got this new Q9FN.....PLEASE help me get this corrected!
In my previous Samsung HDTVs, the ARC Connections were all laid out on the back of my AVRs. it was a piece of cake, ONE OUT to HDTV and All components INTO the AVR Inputs....along came this Q9FN and it's ONE CONNECT Box, w/o a written Manual, and the on line instructions confused me even more than my normal confusion! It appeared to me in trying to connect up like I used to, I couldn't, and I HAD to now use Optical Digital I/O.....so that is what I did.....and I read today that using that connections you will NOT be able to receive Atmos or DTS Signals.
My AVR is the Denon AVR X3400H......I know I now need to disconnect Optical/Digital.....and I believe I connected the ARC on the TV to the ARC on the AVR......I also have a 4K BluRay Player that is working in present setup BUT please also tell me the correct way it should be connected up using the ONE Connect.....I FEAR.....I I may have FOOBOOED that too????

PS:    I have Cut da Cable, prior to this I was w Cable, so I'd go fm AVR\ Cab/Sat to TV, should I do the same to get AVR working with the Q9FN.....I presently have my Firestick 4K jacked into an HDMI IN on ONE Connect????
Thank YOU, michael

Never used the optical as it is just Dolby digital, not + . The Samsung will b not pas through DTS or Atmos, just Dolby digital+. I have a Denon amp and connect the HDMI out from Denon to the ARC HDMI on the one connect. That way the tv will send a Dolby digital+ to your amp, for likes Netflix, or Amazon. Connect all other devices to the Denon. 

orbeavhawk12
Journeyman
Options

THANKS again Paul,   But now, please tell me which HDMI INPUT on your AVR do you have the OneC's ARC going to?

I presently have ARC to ARC w that Op/Dig Connection [to be removed after u get me straightened out here]

TKS

PS: Still waiting for me Nvidia Shield.....

ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options
Most of us have our work arounds, but dont settle for this sh it show that smug sung have served us.

Berate them on social media as much as you can, they deserve all they get over this and many other issues.

I used to fly the Samsung flag, but I've come to realise there products dont last long & customer service is BS.

What was a good investment has now turned into a horror show.

Look here, I could call these ***** nts every fu cking name under the sun, but they take no fu cking notice. Daft ***** nts.

Personally I bought a Sony Atmos setup, got around Sam smug been cheap.

As a customer for over 15 years, I've really grown to hate Samsung
So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk12 wrote:

THANKS again Paul,   But now, please tell me which HDMI INPUT on your AVR do you have the OneC's ARC going to?

I presently have ARC to ARC w that Op/Dig Connection [to be removed after u get me straightened out here]

TKS

PS: Still waiting for me Nvidia Shield.....

Just connect to your HDMI out, from your Denon, then have the Denon on the tv out which on mine shows tv. That way Dolby+ will pass through to your amp. Make sure on the tv sound out it is bitstream. I connected my shield to the media HDMI on the amp. Also using your shield downl Kodi and use that to play media files. Just make sure in Kodi settings you allow pass through and DolbHD and I think DTS HD, download some Dolby Atmos and DTS X samples and enjoy. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Sharkkeeper wrote:

Lots of moaning here about no dts support i own 2018 65q9fn and i use a arcam hd sa20 2 channal amp with focal aria 926 floorstanders so i dont need dts the sound i get is roomfilling and lovely, i could of bought a lg c8 but with nits well under a 1000 and screen burn risk i am glad i got q9fn, 2000 nits is much much better for 4k hdr

I had the q900r 8k 2000 + nits and not good. My son said it looked odd, to luminous. Any subtitles where just to bright. It went back and I got the C8 and very pleased with it. Bluray looks so natural and brightness is not an issue, as my front front room has big windows and not a problem. Also Netflix Atmos, which sounds great. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ian6xtreme wrote:

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

Not oversight, but a decision by Samsung. Penny pinching. 

0 Likes