Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 06-04-2019 10:51 AM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options
This isn't just an issue with Samsung TVs, this spreads across to other departments too. The latest Galaxy S phones do not support DTS, and I would assume the Soundbars, Tablets this year will have the same issue.

As mentioned previously, I bought a Sony soundbar that has Atmos & DTS X support. Run that via Arc. No issue what so ever with DTS now.

The Q9 is a great TV, but it has its flaws (like all TVs do).
So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
orbeavhawk
Journeyman
Options

Mainly because I "cut da cord" and am Streaming most of my TV Entertainment via a Firestick 4K....I have been considering

now investing more moo laa into a Nvida Shield but after reading here that some here report that they get the Audio Formats they were missing due to Samsung thru use of the N. Shield.....this news has made my mind up, I am ordering one

soon.   BUT I hope someone that has installed one of these into their Home Theater system [65Q9FN] please tell me exactly how they connected everything correctly to get these results.

I presently have my Firestick 4K plugged into an HDMI on the Connect ONE, my AVR into Connect ONE ARC, and optical Digital also out to AVR.

Thanks,   Michael

0 Likes
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options
My setup for Shield:

Shield TV into Soundbar HDMI In (Sony HT-ZF9)

Soundbar HDMI out to Q9FN HDMI 4 (Arc)

It's important that your AVR etc is not Samsung, or at least anything Samsung 2018 onwards.

Works flawlessly, every format of video & audio works other than Dolby Vision....though that's a non starter anyway with the Q9.
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk wrote:

Mainly because I "cut da cord" and am Streaming most of my TV Entertainment via a Firestick 4K....I have been considering

now investing more moo laa into a Nvida Shield but after reading here that some here report that they get the Audio Formats they were missing due to Samsung thru use of the N. Shield.....this news has made my mind up, I am ordering one

soon.   BUT I hope someone that has installed one of these into their Home Theater system [65Q9FN] please tell me exactly how they connected everything correctly to get these results.

I presently have my Firestick 4K plugged into an HDMI on the Connect ONE, my AVR into Connect ONE ARC, and optical Digital also out to AVR.

Thanks,   Michael

I have the shield connected directly to a Denon avr via HDMI.  The tv connection to the arc.  Shield is great and I use VLC player,  and works with everything you throw at it.  DTS x atmos 4 k HDR all good. 

orbeavhawk
Journeyman
Options
"I have the shield connected directly to a Denon avr via HDMI. The tv connection to the arc. Shield is great and I use VLC player, and works with everything you throw at it. DTS x atmos 4 k HDR all good. "

THANKS Paul, appreciate your helpful input......now to throw more good money after bad, as they say, NO thanks to Samsung!
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk wrote:
"I have the shield connected directly to a Denon avr via HDMI. The tv connection to the arc. Shield is great and I use VLC player, and works with everything you throw at it. DTS x atmos 4 k HDR all good. "

THANKS Paul, appreciate your helpful input......now to throw more good money after bad, as they say, NO thanks to Samsung!

No problems,  I think the shield is a good buy anyway,  as I use it all the time for media.  Not found a media file it will not play,  and it is very responsiveness,  and just works. If you get one you can download test atmos and DTS X media files which show off your surround system.  I bought my shield a few years back,  and they keep updating it so very happy,  and it plays games. 

0 Likes
orbeavhawk
Journeyman
Options

THANKS Paul....I too have a Denon X3400H in my system, please tell me what HDMI IN did you jack the Shield into on the AVR?  Then the other end of HDMI goes to ARC on the Connect ONE and I'll be good to go eh?  

I just ordered my NEW Shield, went back to Amazon this AM and thanking God, answered prayer, the price was lowered from $189 to $149 [Gaming].  Excited to get this all setup after studying how GREAT it is.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk wrote:

THANKS Paul....I too have a Denon X3400H in my system, please tell me what HDMI IN did you jack the Shield into on the AVR?  Then the other end of HDMI goes to ARC on the Connect ONE and I'll be good to go eh?  

I just ordered my NEW Shield, went back to Amazon this AM and thanking God, answered prayer, the price was lowered from $189 to $149 [Gaming].  Excited to get this all setup after studying how GREAT it is.

I connected to the media HDMI in on the Denon,  then the out to the tv arc. I think on the shield you need to enable bitstream and hi def sound pass through. Need to do nothing with Denon,  but make sure ultra UHD is enabled on the tv for the arc HDMI,  think number 4. 

I use to use Kodi for media files,  but now fund VLC Player better,  and does not need Kodi. The shield built-in media player I would not recommend,  as it's file system is not the best. 

Then download some Dolby atmos,  and DTS x samples and enjoy. 

Paul

ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

Kodi on Shield TV is superior to VLC as it is one of the few apps (Plex too) that support refresh rate switching to help eliminate "juddering".

This needs to be turned on within Kodi. The correct setting for this is to turn it on to "at start/stop" as not to break Audio passthrough.

Also within shield options, enable developer mode & then turn on colormitery to correctly switch between Rec 709 & Rec 2020 automatically.

In fact here's a new post to keep an eye on:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/baoirc/tutorial_picture_quality_colorimetry_framer...

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ToonTonic wrote:

Kodi on Shield TV is superior to VLC as it is one of the few apps (Plex too) that support refresh rate switching to help eliminate "juddering".

This needs to be turned on within Kodi. The correct setting for this is to turn it on to "at start/stop" as not to break Audio passthrough.

Also within shield options, enable developer mode & then turn on colormitery to correctly switch between Rec 709 & Rec 2020 automatically.

In fact here's a new post to keep an eye on:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/baoirc/tutorial_picture_quality_colorimetry_framer...

Useful info,  thanks.  

0 Likes