Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Night Mode on The Frame (Improvement Idea)

(Topic created on: 09-10-2019 10:19 AM)
KH88
Apprentice
Options

I live in an open plan apartment and there are many places in which i can see The Frame TV without being in its "line of sight" therefore rendering the Motion Sensing capability a no-go for me.

As I am not using the motion sensing I decided to opt for night mode, however one thing that bugs me is that this puts the TV well and truly into Standby - what would be a good improvement would be that if once the light level in the room increased a certain level that art mode was reinstated. At present i have to turn the TV on and then set it to art mode every morning. 

On the note of Standby, I note after the TV has been on standby over a certain amount of time neither the SmartThings App nor my Smart Speaker (Echo) can power the TV on. I assume this is as wifi is powered off to save power, but it would be good if this stayed available... does anyone know if this is appeased using a wired LAN connection so that it can be powered on using Wake-on-LAN?

5 REPLIES 5
JohnP1
First Poster
Options

100% agree at mode should come back on in the morning.  In fact Samsung's website says it should but their support staff has told me it doesn't.  Not sure which is true but it also does not seem to work for me.  At least not consistently

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/tv-audio-video/the-frame-what-sensors-are-available-on-the-frame-... 

Milu4
First Poster
Options

2020 model, same behavior, quite disappointing.

Maybe the "sleep after a certain amount of time after no more motion is detected" can influence this but i totally agree with the desired behavior

KH88
Apprentice
Options

I did try this but it is not as fluid as I would like, the TV takes a while after detecting motion before it returns to the art mode, by which time I am likely out of line of sight again. 

It’s such a shame as, if the TV could wake to art mode in the morning then the art mode would be leveraged a lot more. At the moment (between lockdowns) I only really bother with it if I am expecting guests.

0 Likes
SarahB8
Student
Options

I completely agree! Just bought the 32” 2020 model to solely use as a picture frame. It goes off at night when we go to bed but every morning I have to find the remote and switch it back on. It should see daylight and come back on in the mornings 

Sam-sung
First Poster
Options

I just bought The Frame 2021 and agree, Night Mode is rubbish. My frame is in my bedroom and doesn't turn off when I put the lights out. Bumping the motion sensor sensitivity to max meant it turned off after 65 seconds which is far too long. But then it needs to be manually turned on again. This is just not good enough - I'm really tempted to send it back. Customer support muttered something meaningless about environments. Low light level is low light level regardless.

Overall I don't think Samsung has put a lot of thought into the practicalities of using The Frame. You can tell by the paucity of settings. e.g. night mode has only on and off. What about sensitivity, or time delay before turning off? And of course turning on again when light comes on again should be a given. It's not rocket science. All it would take is some fairly simple software changes.