Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Series 7 Does not support vidoes

(Topic created on: 03-01-2020 02:15 PM)
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I had a 40" Series 6 LED TV which is connected to a NAS with 1.25Tb of video files of various types (.avi, .mkv, etc.).

Unfortunately, we had an accident on Friday and the set was physically damaged.

I bought a new Series 7 43" on Saturday, unplugged the Series 6  and replaced it with the Series 7.

Unfortunatly, hardly any of my video library will play on the new set! Either file not supported or audio format not supported.

I've checked and have the latest firmware... have I bought a €450 paperweight?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

84 REPLIES 84
BigBossSparkes
Student
Options

I'm amazed that Samsung have not addressed it yet. The only solution I found for me was to convert the videos to MP4 format which it does show correctly. I used a command line program called ffmpeg which is not for the faint hearted as it's a little complex to get right, but there are some useful / helpful guides online on how to do this. It's also free!

It's certainly not the ideal answer, but until Samsung update the TV software it's the best I can suggest.

0 Likes
superbhd
Journeyman
Options

This is a joke. Your TVs are more expensive then the competition and dont support basic audio codecs. If this isnt addressed soon I'll never buy Samsung again... my 10 year old previous tv supported more

E-ManN
Apprentice
Options

well said !

When I upgraded my Samsung series 5 40" to Samsung series 7 50 " 4k, I was disappoited that half my files would not play thru samsung allshare anymore.  I'm serioulsy thinking of moving the 40" back into my living room and putting the 50" 4k in the bedroom ..... what a waste !

Taling about another upgrade that's a downgrade !

Skyheart
First Poster
Options

I have a late 2018 Samsung Q6F and it has the same problem. But some .mkv it will play. Not sure, if its because those are DD and not DTS, but its f..... annoying. On my older Samsung everything plays with sound.

0 Likes
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

Since starting this thread I've advised three people on buying a new TV.

Needless to say, none of them have a Samsung.

I now find myself in the position of needing a new TV for an extension that has just been finished on my house. I'd like a Samsung because it would operate in the same way, same remote, etc. as my old one but I simply can't buy because of this problem.

So the score is going to be Samsung 0 - 4 LG

Shame they don't read this stuff eh...?

0 Likes
NAPConsulting
First Poster
Options

I work in IT and I have a paid version of plex.. I have always purchased Samsung.  I don't currently have my plex server running and to tell you the truth after 60 hours a week working with computers for the last 25 years, the last thing I want to do when I get home is to stuff around with technology.  Sorry Samsung.. my entire collection works on all my old TVs, but my new one won't.  When you're 20GB MKV in naitive blue ray format which is lossless  won't work on the new display but does on the older ones.. you not only have lost a very long time customer but you will loose many more.. fact!

E-ManN
Apprentice
Options

I'm in IT too for the past 25 years and agree that by the time i get home i dont want to do IT Sh1t !

but I have bit the bullet and have been converting my favorite AVI files from 70s TV shows to mp4 so I can view them on my new Series 7 50" 4k ... what a freaking waste of time for one of the most basic & old video formats out there.

I wish they would just come up with one universal video format ...but even then Samsung would probably not support it.

again I restate .. "another upgrade that's a downgrade !"  This seems to be the trend of the world these days.  Keep your old stuff .. far more reliabe and functional.

SASMUNG !  PLEASE SEND A SERIES 7 UPDATE OUT TO OUR TVS SO WE CAN PLAY THE OLDER VIDEO FORMATS ! 

CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

I feel your pain...

Luckily, after starting this thread I was able to return the Series 7 and echange it for a 50" Series 6 which I have been very pleased with and played everything that I've thrown at it.

Coincidentally I am off to the shops today to buy a new TV for an extension room. I'd obviously prefer a matching set but it is going to be a 49" LG NanoCell instead...

0 Likes
E-ManN
Apprentice
Options

thanks CyprusGrump,

i wish I had thought of that but it's been a 4.5 months now so it's too late for me to return it now, but I'm happy to hear your nightmare is over.  

I've been  a loyal Samsung customer for about 10 years now.  My advice to anyone reading this forum is to buy their cell phones only.  They work very well and are reliable (I have note2, note 5 & s7 I'm very happy with ).  Other Samsung products , beware.

here's my experience

Samsung series 5 40"   TV purchased 5.5 yrs ago -->  very good, can't complain about this set, very happy with it.

Samsung HW-F355   2.1   120W Sound Bar purchased 5.5 yrs ago --> no good, suddenly died when watching TV, brought to samsung repair centre and was quoted $225 to repair it.  Why would i spend that much to repair it when a new one is the same price ?

Samsung Series 7 50" 4K TV purchased 4.5 months ago  --> display works well, picture is good. But smart functionality is a fail becaue it will not play AVI files !

against my better judgement I went out and replaced my dead samsung soundbar with another one this past black friday.  The only reasons why is because ...

i did not want yet another remote control I had to use 

i did not want to program a universal remote (i'm in IT and want to relax when I get home)

I just wanted to something I can setup and plug in at it all works with one remote

so i ended purchasing a Samsung HW-M435-ZC    2.1   290 Watt SoundBar $199 on black friday.

AND I HOPE THIS LAST LONGER THAN 5 YEARS !  I NEVER HAD ANY AUDIO EQUIPMENT JUST DIE AFTER 5 YEARS OF MODERATE USE ! 

kumeresh
First Poster
Options

I was very much disappointed when the files are gettign played in 6 series and not in 7 series. Not sure if Samsung has any plans to fix this or I may need to move to a different brand who supports the files from USB. Any pointers here would be helpful. 

0 Likes