Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NU8000 USB Hard Drive?

(Topic created on: 05-12-2018 11:35 AM)
Zacepi
Explorer
Options

Hello all,

I have a new NU8000 and am not getting on very well with recording to USB HDD.
I've read plenty of forum postings about it both on samsung.com and elsewhere but here's my brief story.

I had a USB powered 500Gb seagate HDD which worked but not consistently. It would sometimes not record when the TV was in standby. So, following forum threads I got an external powered 1Tb USB drive.   When I plugged it in, 6 USB drives appeared!  USB HDD, USB HDD(1)...up to USB HDD (5).   The "real" one is USB HDD(3) and if the TV is on, I can record to it. However with the TV in standby, nothing records, ever.  Both of these drives are USB2. If I unplug and replug the 1Tb, the 6 drives appear again, so obviously this drive has some compatibility problem. I had formatted it NTFS on my PC just prior to using - the manual does say NTFS is supported. 

So the question is, what make/model of USB HDD will actually record when I set something on series link properly when in standby?  Perhaps there is a "more reliable" USB port?  Perhaps FAT32 is more reliable? - I know this is clutching at straws. 

many thanks in advance for anyone who has a drive plugged in that actually works 100% and can recommend.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Zacepi
Explorer
Options

Hi John,

Not updated this thread in a while. Samsung were and are no help.

Lots of googling led mainly to threads where people have actually bought a new TV.

However my recording to HDD is now working. Largely down to a suggestion I saw (can't find it now online) about tuning manually rather than auto. Yes it sounds crazy.  Also ensure you're on the latest firmware.

So although it's not rock solid like my Sony PVR was, I can now record to a 2Tb external USB powered drive I have taped to the back of the TV so I can't even see it or any wires. It can record schedules, and also can record 2 channels at once.  Some caveats are that if you're recording and try to play an existing recording, it plays 1 second then returns to the menu.  When lots is on the HDD it can take up to 30 seconds to display the list of recordings. Also on occasion it records only 1 minute of a program, or a recording displays as a series of (*^&%&*&£HKJHKLJW and unknown characters. It shows just how monumentally ***** this whole subsystem is that I am more than happy to live with that as it's 99.9% better than how things were 6 months ago.

Good luck

0 Likes