Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 30-05-2019 08:01 AM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi @shaunevo 

Thanks for prompt reply, mine is a 1TB box.  I'll have to do a bit more investigation and try different switch on options.  Do you only use the TV remote to switch on all devices?  I have my SKy Q box in a cabinet so need to use SKy Q remote (Bluetooth?) as no line of site for IR control.

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

@Ian57 

I have the Bluetooth remote for the tv. 
mine a q950r.

0 Likes
DjK4Yahweh
Explorer
Options

@shaunevo wrote:

@Ian57 

I have the Bluetooth remote for the tv. 
mine a q950r.

Hi. Do you or did have any Lip sync issues with your soundbar and tv?

I have the same tv

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi @DjK4Yahweh 

I have Q90 55inch TV and Q90R Soundbar but it's a common issue.  If you connect external devices into the TV OCB with the Soundbar connected to TV via HDMI ARC you will experience lip sync problems.  (This forum has numerous threads on the subject)  Connecting external devices into the Soundbar will alleviate the lip sync problem but reduces functionality (ease of controlling input sources) and can create HDMI control issues.  Whether the latest software update for the Soundbar has improved the latter I can't say as I haven't really tested it.  I have experienced more problems with my Sky Q box since the latest Soundbar update but I don't know if that is coincidental or not?

0 Likes
BlackWave
First Poster
Options

Has anyone experimented with using a video delay when using 5.1 surround sound? They cost over $700, but a professional grade video delay would probably fix it at the source of video.

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-VC-1-DL-Bi-directional-Converter-Delay/dp/B00D3TUAK0/ref=sr_1_4?dchild...

I'm considering purchasing Samsung, but I have a Bose Soundbar 700 and I'm sure I will have the same sync problem. Perhaps the quality and design of a Samsung Frame TV is worth the investment, work and stress, but I'm not sure. Sony always makes sure their video and sound are both on point.

0 Likes
slider34z
First Poster
Options

I had the bose 700 soundbar and loved the sound but it had the lipsync problem with my q70 samsung tv so i took it back and bought the samsung sound bar.  Until i plugged it directly into the samsung soundbar same issue.  Its not perfect and I would say the sounds are about the same.  I would say the samsung soundbar had better overall surround but bose a little more clear.  Very slight on both.

In any event to answer your question i had the bose and could never get the lip sync issue fixed and liked the tv more than the soundbar.  Wish samsung would finally fix this but doubt they will

0 Likes
Zaxxan
Pioneer
Options

Well May has passed and Samsung has yet again failed to release the earc update that would hopefully have fixed the lip sync issues. This is my first Samsung TV and it will definitely  be my last. Shocking customer service. 

me83
Explorer
Options

@Zaxxan wrote:

Well May has passed and Samsung has yet again failed to release the earc update that would hopefully have fixed the lip sync issues. This is my first Samsung TV and it will definitely  be my last. Shocking customer service. 

Sadly, I think most people fully expected nothing. Last years models are no longer any concern for them and their focus now is on this years 8K. 

Like you though, I'm unlikely to purchase a Samsung again. I was able to return mine for a full refund but the whole thing has really put me off them now. 

0 Likes
Zaxxan
Pioneer
Options

@me83 wrote:

@Zaxxan wrote:

Sadly, I think most people fully expected nothing. Last years models are no longer any concern for them and their focus now is on this years 8K. 

Like you though, I'm unlikely to purchase a Samsung again. I was able to return mine for a full refund but the whole thing has really put me off them now. 

Well I usually upgrade my Note phone every year but after the debacle with the earc firmware for this TV I feel like I don't want to give Samsung anymore of my hard earned cash. 

Also, after using the TV for 3 or 4 months I now get Ads on the menu bar. I'm not impressed with that at all, there was no mention of Ads when I purchased the TV. I can't believe a customer has to endure Ads after spending a significant amount of money on a flagship TV. Samsung are taking us for mugs.

0 Likes
akz786
Explorer
Options

I am sure most that most of you aware, on here, that the Q70/80/90R range of soundbars received an eARC firmware (1010.15) not so long ago, this was also severly delayed from their support roadmap.

In the same anticipation, we should hopefully get something for the QXX series TV (maybe limited to a few in the range) from the 2019 range as this needs to work with the eARC update on the respective soundbar(s).

Whats really ironic is on this forum also there is a thread, where they are discussing LG TV's (C9s etc) working well with the aforementioned soundbards above (after the eARC update) - a right slap in Samsungs face I say! 

PS - just found this -> https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Aktuelle-Changelogs-f%C3%BCr-Samsung-TV-Updates-der-gro%C3%9F...

looks tentative July/August ...this year I hope!