Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 30-05-2019 08:01 AM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
RichTea
Student
Options
Can you confirm LG TVs have the same issue?
0 Likes
Larmkillen
First Poster
Options

I have no evidence but it was just a thought if there are identical forum threads on other TV brands. If so, then it might be a bigger problem in general. I was thinking of switching from Qe65q90r to LGC9 but found that others had the same problem with the TV so became suspicious. Here is an example.

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4622/audio-delay-for-hdmi-connected-dolby-sources

0 Likes
Larmkillen
First Poster
Options

Meaning if several manufacturers have the same problem with dolby 5.1 via ARC with external devices connected via HDMI on their most expensive TV models, then it is more likely that this is a bigger problem than every manufacturer has made a mistake in their solution. Or what do you think

0 Likes
akz786
Explorer
Options

A few of us on here have been discussing the possibility (expectation for that matter) of eARC support for these models, in the hope that this will potentially resolve the lip sync issue for Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital.

Lets wait and see, May 2020 was an intended date, but the world has more oppressing matters that is Coronavirus.

Keep safe everyone.

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@slider34z wrote:

...I have it hooked up like this cable box to HDMI 2 on the soundbar, HDMI to 4k blu ray player and the arc cable to the arc cable on the tv. ... My main issue is the ONLY sound option I have is PCM on both devices when I go into the sound setting on the tv. No matter what cables I try, setting the cable box to dolby digital or the 4k player it still only plays and allows me to select PCM.

I thought about using the digital audio cable from sound bar to tv but then assume I'm back to the lip sync issue using Dolby Digital if I go directly HDMI to the tv.

First; The ARC (Audio Return Channel) is in your setup only used for sound from the TV internal apps. (These are not known to cause lip-sync problems.) The sound from cable box and BluRay connected to the soundbar should make possible both DD, (DD+ if supported by source) and Atmos if applicable. Be sure to select the correct sound input on the soundbar. Regarding the optical connection from the TV to soundbar; you can use that for sound from TV-apps if you want to disconnect the soundbar from the TV (CEC commanding) problems. The optical connection supports DD (up to DD5.1 at least). I don't update the TV so I don't know if it is a Samsung stunt to restrict also output from internal apps to PCM but try to redescover the soundbar connection or try the optical. It should be possible to select DD.

0 Likes
slider34z
First Poster
Options

@userjYtfoTda0t wrote:

First; The ARC (Audio Return Channel) is in your setup only used for sound from the TV internal apps. (These are not known to cause lip-sync problems.) The sound from cable box and BluRay connected to the soundbar should make possible both DD, (DD+ if supported by source) and Atmos if applicable. Be sure to select the correct sound input on the soundbar. Regarding the optical connection from the TV to soundbar; you can use that for sound from TV-apps if you want to disconnect the soundbar from the TV (CEC commanding) problems. The optical connection supports DD (up to DD5.1 at least). I don't update the TV so I don't know if it is a Samsung stunt to restrict also output from internal apps to PCM but try to redescover the soundbar connection or try the optical. It should be possible to select DD.

Ah thanks that makes sense.  I didn't realize the ARC was only used for internal apps.  That does indeed work as I watched a couple movies on Netflix and Prime and both were in Dolby Digital+.

When I hookup the Blu Ray player for example, I select the Soundbar in the audio options then go into advanced or expert and I go into sound, everything is grey'd out except PCM.  I thought maybe it was the cable box (Spectrum) as my options are Other, HDMI or Dolby Digital for the audio output but no matter which one I pick it doesn't work.  If I go to the tv directly it works but then I get an awful lip sync issue unless I change the sound setting to PCM.  

I did what you suggested on the optical initially and went soundbar to tv optical then both Blu Ray to and cable box to tv and that works but then I have that lip sync issue as well.  

For the Blu Ray player I can't even select stereo sound.  Almost like I'm missing a setting on the sound bar to allow passthrough of anything higher than Stereo sound but I can't seem to find that setting.  

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@slider34z wrote:

When I hookup the Blu Ray player for example, I select the Soundbar in the audio options then go into advanced or expert and I go into sound, everything is grey'd out except PCM.  I thought maybe it was the cable box (Spectrum) as my options are Other, HDMI or Dolby Digital for the audio output but no matter which one I pick it doesn't work. ... 

For the Blu Ray player I can't even select stereo sound.  Almost like I'm missing a setting on the sound bar to allow passthrough of anything higher than Stereo sound but I can't seem to find that setting.  

When you connect BD player to the soundbar HDMI, select that HDMI port as the sound source in the soundbar. The sound shall be played by the soundbar. Only the video shall be passed through to the TV (TV speakers OFF). (The similar apply for the cable box.)

0 Likes
slider34z
First Poster
Options

Got it that's what I've done.  The sound is coming out of the soundbar and it sounds pretty good.  But again, when I go into the expert settings for the sound output PCM is my only option.  TV speakers are off.

It can see i'm using the soundbar, just not allow me to change it to anything other than PCM

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@slider34z wrote:

Got it that's what I've done.  The sound is coming out of the soundbar and it sounds pretty good.  But again, when I go into the expert settings for the sound output PCM is my only option.  TV speakers are off.

It can see i'm using the soundbar, just not allow me to change it to anything other than PCM

But that's not a problem is it? When you watch a movie on an internal app, it should let you select DD or DD+ in the TV expert settings (and the same indicated on the soundbar, if you let it.)

0 Likes
slider34z
First Poster
Options

Sorry no that isn't the problem.  When I pick a netflix show or prime (using built in app in the tv) sound comes through in about any format.  It auto select says Dolby Digital+.

Not to beat a dead horse but in case it helps....

HDMI 1 on the soundbar to cable box.  ONLY the arc cable to the arc port on the TV.  Sound works but only option is PCM.  Dolby Digital or plus is greyed out in the setting of the sound bar/tv.  Same if I used HDMI 2 on the soundbar for the blu ray player.  

Make sense?  Any thoughts?

0 Likes