Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 24-03-2020 06:12 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
RichTea
Student
Options

@slider34z wrote:

Sorry no that isn't the problem.  When I pick a netflix show or prime (using built in app in the tv) sound comes through in about any format.  It auto select says Dolby Digital+.

Not to beat a dead horse but in case it helps....

HDMI 1 on the soundbar to cable box.  ONLY the arc cable to the arc port on the TV.  Sound works but only option is PCM.  Dolby Digital or plus is greyed out in the setting of the sound bar/tv.  Same if I used HDMI 2 on the soundbar for the blu ray player.  

Make sense?  Any thoughts?

The same happens for me ... the TV only shows PCM as an option. However, I'm fairly sure the soundbar is picking up DD and processing it as when I change the source (Sky Q box in my instance) audio from DD to "Normal" there is a marked difference in the quality and depth of the sound.

0 Likes
slider34z
First Poster
Options

Maybe its just cosmetic and it is using dolby digital.  Cable sounds pretty good honestly but driving me nuts that I cant prove it.  

Hopefully the earc stuff gets figured out as its still a little touchy when switching inputs.  Thanks to both of you for the responses

0 Likes
RichTea
Student
Options
I've found that if I have CEC enabled everywhere, then I switch on the sky Q box first, everything comes on fine. Then if I want to use Netflix on the TV, I use the TV remote and it switches fine. Let me know your experiences.
0 Likes
slider34z
First Poster
Options

Here is my current setup and while I love the tv and soundbar it's not without some current weird hiccups/annoyances...

When I want to watch cable tv I have to do the following.  Turn on the tv with the Samsung tv remote.  Turn on the soundbar with the soundbar remote (Samsung Q70 tv, Samsung 90 soundbar).  Then turn on the tv with the cable remote.  This works most/some of the time but sometimes it doesn't recognize the source and I have to either select hdmi1 for the input or I have to power cycle the soundbar off.  Not the end of the world but for my wife to run the tv, that's too much work.

I also can't believe the soundbar doesn't turn on with the tv remote as it does turn off with the tv remote.  Or that I can't adjust the tv volume with the cable remote.  Again, not the end of the world but you would think with 2 of the same devices and 2 of basically the same remotes it would work.  I did a factory reset of both last night, just to see if starting over would fix the remote issue but still one remote won't turn them both on.  

I replaced/return my Bose 700 soundbar due to when I passed any dolby digital, huge lip sync problem.  Not really Bose's fault but unwatchable.  And stero/PCM just isn't good enough as you could tell a huge difference.  Sound quality on the Bose vs Samsung the Samsung use Dolby WAY better than Bose using PCM.  Dolby was pretty much a wash with the Bose a little more clear on dialog (wish Samsung a dialog enhancer like the Bose) but the Samsung gives an overall better movie experience.  I will say however the Bose you turned it on, turn on the tv and it never failed.  

0 Likes
RichTea
Student
Options

@slider34z wrote:

Here is my current setup and while I love the tv and soundbar it's not without some current weird hiccups/annoyances...

When I want to watch cable tv I have to do the following.  Turn on the tv with the Samsung tv remote.  Turn on the soundbar with the soundbar remote (Samsung Q70 tv, Samsung 90 soundbar).  Then turn on the tv with the cable remote.  This works most/some of the time but sometimes it doesn't recognize the source and I have to either select hdmi1 for the input or I have to power cycle the soundbar off.  Not the end of the world but for my wife to run the tv, that's too much work.

I also can't believe the soundbar doesn't turn on with the tv remote as it does turn off with the tv remote.  Or that I can't adjust the tv volume with the cable remote.  Again, not the end of the world but you would think with 2 of the same devices and 2 of basically the same remotes it would work.  I did a factory reset of both last night, just to see if starting over would fix the remote issue but still one remote won't turn them both on.  

I replaced/return my Bose 700 soundbar due to when I passed any dolby digital, huge lip sync problem.  Not really Bose's fault but unwatchable.  And stero/PCM just isn't good enough as you could tell a huge difference.  Sound quality on the Bose vs Samsung the Samsung use Dolby WAY better than Bose using PCM.  Dolby was pretty much a wash with the Bose a little more clear on dialog (wish Samsung a dialog enhancer like the Bose) but the Samsung gives an overall better movie experience.  I will say however the Bose you turned it on, turn on the tv and it never failed.  

Does the Cable box support Anynet/CEC? If it does then it may work like my Sky Q box does. All I need to do is switch on the Sky Q box and it switches on the Soundbar via CEC, sets to the correct input and as the Soundbar and the TV also have Anynet/CEC enabled, the Soundbar switches on the TV and sets that to the correct HDMI input as well.

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi All,

I have also experienced CEC related problems, Soundbar not turning on with a TV etc and raised this as an issue with Samsung UK CEO's office.  Their response is as follows:

We have slightly amended the steps removing that to turn on the TV.  In essence the guide is to have everything on and as detailed and then connect as per instructions.

Settings > General > Reset

Turn on Sky Q & ensure it is on a channel without the Sky Guide on screen

Turn on the BD Player

Turn on the Soundbar

Connect Sky Q & BD to Soundbar, then Soundbar to TV

Complete the Set Up with all devices connected in their final configuration.

My system is stable (ish) at present so I haven't tried the above directions myself.  I would also say that I've set up a script in the Smart Things App so that the Soundbar will always power on when the TV is on.  This is obviously done over the internet so it can take a few seconds if it hasn't already powered on via HDMI CEC.

slider34z
First Poster
Options

I assume the cable box does support cec.  I will check that out.  I dont enable that on the soundbar do I?  I only see that in the tv settings.  General, external device manager, amynet+ (hdmi-cec) is checked.

Like i said not sure how the tv remote can turn off the soundbar but not turn it on

What's odd is when the hdmi goes right into the tv the cable box can adjust volume and control more.  Into the soundbar all it can do is change channels

0 Likes
fatguy666
Explorer
Options

@slider34z wrote:

Maybe its just cosmetic and it is using dolby digital.  Cable sounds pretty good honestly but driving me nuts that I cant prove it.  

Hopefully the earc stuff gets figured out as its still a little touchy when switching inputs.  Thanks to both of you for the responses

This might sound daft but in the expert settings for the sound does it have an option for "HDMI Input Audio Format"?

I don't have the same tv - it's an NU8000 tv and HW-MS650 soundbar - but I was trying to select "Dolby Digital" and the only way to do it was changing the above setting to bitstream.

Mind you, this was audio coming from my PC.

0 Likes
JImannie
Journeyman
Options

Hi

i have been planning to buy a 65Q90R for some time. But now I read of this lip sync problem. Will this be fixed by Samsung in the foreseeable future or not. As I am not interested in buying a expensive tv which is not future proof. 

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

I'm not sure this is only down to Samsung, I've started looking for new tv's and soundbar now I'm so close to getting my money back. I think they all have the same issues when you connect to the tv first then arc/EARC to the soundbar. The only difference is that when you connect to the soundbar with other makes they all switch off as they should and the soundbar doesn't loose its source. 

0 Likes