Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 19-03-2020 07:25 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

Ok just had some information from the repair on my q90r sound bar. 
 First they told me they had replaced the tft on the unit so I questioned it then received this reply 

Due to an error at our end, our report states that the TFT Panel was replaced, this in fact should read the Top Cover.

The Top Cover was replaced, as housed within it, is a miniature circuit board through which the audio signal is routed. This was deemed to be faulty and is not available to order on its own, but only as part of the Top Cover along with the Speakers and Control Panel.

After repair, the Soundbar was soak tested for approx 1 hour, connected to our test TV via HDMI, and there was no sign of the reported Lip Sync issue. 

no received my soundbar so will feed back if this has fixed the issue. 

0 Likes
me83
Explorer
Options

@shaunevo wrote:

Ok just had some information from the repair on my q90r sound bar. 
 First they told me they had replaced the tft on the unit so I questioned it then received this reply 

Due to an error at our end, our report states that the TFT Panel was replaced, this in fact should read the Top Cover.

The Top Cover was replaced, as housed within it, is a miniature circuit board through which the audio signal is routed. This was deemed to be faulty and is not available to order on its own, but only as part of the Top Cover along with the Speakers and Control Panel.

After repair, the Soundbar was soak tested for approx 1 hour, connected to our test TV via HDMI, and there was no sign of the reported Lip Sync issue. 

no received my soundbar so will feed back if this has fixed the issue. 

Were they using PCM or Dolby audio to test it? Were they using a like-for-like TV / One Connect as "test TV" could be anything?

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi @shaunevo 

I am sceptical about what Samsung have reported to you, or at least the context of their reported test.  The lip sync problem is caused by the TV OCB processing audio signals from external sources connected to it via HDMI.  The internal TV tuner and TV apps do not suffer the lip sync problem.  Therefore, if the test configuration only included a TV and your Soundbar connected via HDMI ARC then there wouldn't be a lip sync problem anyway.

The lip sync issue  is not a problem within the Soundbar, regardless of whether there was a fault within your unit.

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options
Ian57 I don’t think this will fix the issue. I need to do as Samsung say to get my refund. If the lip sync is still not correct then John Lewis are going to chase Samsung to give me a full refund of both items as they have tested both the q950 tv and q90r soundbar and have not been able to fix the issue so they aren’t fit for purpose.
0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi @shaunevo 

You're right in that the products are not fit for purpose which is frustrating, crazy in this day and age and not acceptable.

Hope you get the outcome you want.

me83
Explorer
Options

@shaunevo wrote:
Ian57 I don’t think this will fix the issue. I need to do as Samsung say to get my refund. If the lip sync is still not correct then John Lewis are going to chase Samsung to give me a full refund of both items as they have tested both the q950 tv and q90r soundbar and have not been able to fix the issue so they aren’t fit for purpose.

You will get the outcome you want but between the level of John Lewis customer service and the dragging of Samsung's feet, just ensure you stand firm and keep quoting your rights if need be. 

It took me a total of just under 3 months from raising the complaint under the CRA to having the TV taken away. 

Whatever you do, do not let the trail go cold for more than a few days at a time. 

Good luck. 

slider34z
First Poster
Options

I will ask this on the Samsung boards as well.

I bought the Q7D Samsung from Costco recently (love the TV) and also purchased a Bose 700 soundbar. I could never get the lip sync problem worked out so I sent it back and bought the 90r sound bar. However I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this problem out.

I have it hooked up like this cable box to HDMI 2 on the soundbar, HDMI to 4k blu ray player and the arc cable to the arc cable on the tv. I get sometimes the video not to show up but a reboot seems to fix that. My main issue is the ONLY sound option I have is PCM on both devices when I go into the sound setting on the tv. No matter what cables I try, setting the cable box to dolby digital or the 4k player it still only plays and allows me to select PCM.

I'm not new to home theater went from a dedicated system to this and can't believe all the issues I'm having. First the lip sync issue with the bose soundbar with anything dolby digital and now this. One other issue when I turn on the tv the sound bar does not turn on. I have to use the sound bar remote. But both turn off with the tv remote with just hitting power once.

This has been a frustrating week for sure, I should be able to figure this out but maybe I'm missing something obvious. Samsung has been zero help. Anyone???

I thought about using the digital audio cable from sound bar to tv but then assume I'm back to the lip sync issue using Dolby Digital if I go directly HDMI to the tv.

0 Likes
RichTea
Student
Options

I have a Samsung Q90R and HW70 and have the self same issue with both a Sky Q box and a PS4. I've been on to Samsung a number of times and have just had my second visit from an engineer. The engineer updated the TV to the latest v1359 firmware and it's no surprise that it made no difference at all.

What may be of interest is that the engineer said that the advice from Samsung technical is to set the TV to PCM which, whilst it does resolve the issue, is totally unacceptable as a solution. He also said that because the issue can be "resolved" in this fashion, Samsung don't recognise it as a fault.

Needless to say, this is not an acceptable "fix" and I will be on to my retailer today to get them to resolve this to my satisfaction. I would say that this is neither "fit for purpose", "as described" or "of merchantable quality".

Incredibly annoyed by this huge issue. I'm even more annoyed that Samsung haven't got the good grace to accept this as a fault.

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

I received my q90r soundbar back yesterday and still have the same issue. On the paper work said the system worked and passed different checks.  Phoned John Lewis to report that it was still the same and today Samsung once again collected my soundbar to be looked at again. This is a never ending loop. 

0 Likes
Larmkillen
First Poster
Options

Hello everyone.

Like you, I also have the problem that the sound is after the video from the beginning. I have a thought ... It seems that LG s TV in the same price range has the same problem when connecting external devices to the TV via HDMI and then the sound out via HDMI ARC to the home theater system. Couldn t it be that the technical solution regardless of TV of dolby 5.1 coming in via HDMI and then out via ARC always becomes so because the sound is unpacked and then down again before being sent out via ARC. Just a thought. If so, is there anything Samsung can fix. 

0 Likes