Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 16-03-2020 08:37 AM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
akz786
Explorer
Options

So in the knowledge that it's works with an input connected via the soundbar hdmi input and notwithstanding the issues re selecting the source if you have more than 2 inputs into the soundbar, the problem I have with this is that you then cannot use TV speaker only as you have to change input or switch the soundbar off and that essentially stops the passthru working. 

or has anyone got this working otherwise?

0 Likes
bcab17
Explorer
Options

@Ian57 wrote:

Hi bcab17

I'm interested in understanding your System configuration and how many external devices you have connected via optical?  Are you using an optical switch, if so which one?  Could you please post a description of your system and how you have connected your devices.  Thanks.

Cable Box, Roku Ultra, and Blu-Ray player:

All connected to TV with HDMI

All connected to a 4-in, 1-out switcher with Optical

Switcher out to soundbar with Optical

Excellent picture-quality and perfect Dolby Digital 5.1 audio with no AnyNet CEC issues and no lip-sync problems. 

There are many Optical Swithcers on Amazon for $25 to $35 with direct input select and IR remote. 

My speaker system is Sonos: Playbar, Sub, and two One's for surrounds. 

Because this approach requires switching tv and optical switcher inputs, I highly recommend a programmable universal remote.  Use URC remotes, but  have also used a Harmony 665 (around $60) that works great and is much easier to program. 

One button click, and all input switching is automated. 

After all the frustrations, it has been a great relief to have a system that sounds great and just works the way it should. 

shaunevo
Explorer
Options
My soundbar plays Dolby Atoms and you can’t get that from optical. We have paid money for something that’s not able to do what it should. Why should we pay for extra things or be left using the soundbar on pcm sound quality. I don’t think it’s a big ask for the words to match the picture.
0 Likes
akz786
Explorer
Options

@bcab17 wrote:

@Ian57 wrote:

Hi bcab17

I'm interested in understanding your System configuration and how many external devices you have connected via optical?  Are you using an optical switch, if so which one?  Could you please post a description of your system and how you have connected your devices.  Thanks.

Excellent picture-quality and perfect Dolby Digital 5.1 audio with no AnyNet CEC issues and no lip-sync problems. 

There are many Optical Swithcers on Amazon for $25 to $35 with direct input select and IR remote. 

Because this approach requires switching tv and optical switcher inputs, I highly recommend a programmable universal remote.  Use URC remotes, but  have also used a Harmony 665 (around $60) that works great and is much easier to program. 

After all the frustrations, it has been a great relief to have a system that sounds great and just works the way it should. 

Have you also connected optical out of the one connect box to the switcher for (TV apps etc).

Also I assume you no longer have the soundbar ARC HDMI connected to the OCB as this seems to interfere every time you try to use D.in.

thanks 

0 Likes
akz786
Explorer
Options

Have you also connected optical out of the one connect box to the optical switcher 4 in 1? for (TV apps etc).

Also I assume you no longer have the soundbar ARC HDMI connected to the OCB as this seems to interfere every time you try to use D.in.

thanks 

0 Likes
bcab17
Explorer
Options

@akz786 wrote:

@bcab17 wrote:

@Ian57 wrote:

Hi bcab17

Have you also connected optical out of the one connect box to the switcher for (TV apps etc).

thanks 

Sorry I left that out. You are correct. OCB to optical switcher. The tv and soundbar have no direct connection between them, so no ARC, and CEC is disabled on the tv. 

Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Many thanks @bcab17  and @akz786  for replying and for the clarification.  I will certainly consider changing to an optical configuration if I get continual recurrence of HDMI CEC related problems.

I have 2 external devices connected via HDMI into the Soundbar.  HDMI 1 connected to a SKY Q 1TB box which is my primary source for watching TV channels.  HDMI 2 connected to 4K Blu-Ray player which I only use occasionally.  Q90R Soundbar connected to Q90 TV via HDMI ARC.

I find that if I'm only using the SKY box the system is relatively stable and HDMI CEC works OK, however, if I use the Blu Ray player, then switch back to the SKY box the system can become unstable with respect to CEC operation.  This usually requires a power cycle of TV and Soundbar to resolve.

I have experienced problems with the Soundbar not auto-detecting input on HDMI 1, however, this seems to be a SKY box problem not outputting a signal (apparently a known fault with SKY Q boxes which requires a power cycle to clear).

Thanks again.

akz786
Explorer
Options

I really am hoping in anticpation that Samsung will release the eARC firmware update (ETA May 2020 now) for these devices, which should resolve these issues. 

Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Yes I hope so too!  I've been in fairly regular contact with the UK CEO's office about these issues, so I'll email them again this afternoon to see if they can verify the eARC update timescales.

ChrisThomson
First Poster
Options
Why do you think earc will fix these issues?
0 Likes