Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 19-02-2020 06:04 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
bstpeg
First Poster
Options

Similarly, as many mentioned earlier, when I connect my external devices directly to my soundbar, the soundbar turns off and adjusts volume based on the TV control, but won't turn on when the TV turns on. Was there a fix for this issue?

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

I've implemented the workaround that Jesterh posted a while in go.  In SmartThings App set up an automation script whereby when the TV is on then the Soundbar is on.  This does work but is not optimal, the Soundbar can take several seconds to turn on after the TV and seems not to recognise the source on the HDMI input, in my case a SKY Q box.  Pressing Home on SKY remote usually works but not always.

the HDMI-CEC on this set up is very flakey and may be a show stopper for me, I've had enough not knowing whether it's going to work from one day to the next.

If anyone can recommend a better fix please post it.

0 Likes
bstpeg
First Poster
Options

Unfortunately I don't have a Samsung soundbar, so that's not really an option for me. Right now I'm pretty much stuck with either the annoying video lag from my cable box (Verizon FiOS VMS4100), changing the audio to L-PCM which noticably decreases the quality of the sound, or a setup that requires me to manually turn on my sound bar every time I turn on the TV.

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@Ian57 wrote:

I've implemented the workaround that Jesterh posted a while in go.  In SmartThings App set up an automation script whereby when the TV is on then the Soundbar is on.  This does work but is not optimal, ...

If anyone can recommend a better fix please post it.

Perhaps a remote that is capable of command sequences. I turn off CEC, and use Harmony 650 (only IR) that works fine for me and switches all my units,  signal switches and inputs based on selected activity.

0 Likes
slomar
Explorer
Options

I've had some CEC issues as well.  I believe I still have the TV control the soundbar via CEC, but I've set my Nvidia Shield to use IR for the soundbar instead of CEC.  It generally works, but occassically I'll power on the Shield and it will power on the TV / Soundbar, but will act as if there is no video source... so, then I just power off / on again and it works.  When I had it set to CEC for the Soundbar, it would sometimes not recognize commands from the remote at all and also only displayed +/- when changing volume rather than the volume level number (which I preferred).  

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi yes I've seen other people using Harmony remotes so that is a possible workaround.  My reluctance is that already having a plethora of remote controllers already (including Samsung’s Universal remote which is useless unless you have sources connected into the TV) then why should I have to purchase yet another one, especially for something that should work in the first place, this is not 'rocket science'.

However, thanks for your suggestion.

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi@slomar thanks for your reply and suggestion.  Yes I sometimes have a similar problem when using the SKY Q remote to turn on the TV and Soundbar, there doesn't appear to be an input source (audio or video).  Pressing the Home key on the SKY remote usually fixes it, but not always.  I wasn't sure if this was a SKY Q box issue not outputting a signal (I've seen that before in different set ups), or the Soundbar not recognising the signal or passing through the video signal.  I'm sure Ive also had audio on the Soundbar but no video signal similar to the problem you describe.

My Soundbar is now turning on with the TV via the SKY Q remote although I didn't do anything to change it.  Anecdotely I have a suspicion that there is a time factor involved with the Soundbar power off/on.   If I power off and on again within a short time frame, say 5 minutes I get the problem with the Soundbar not turning on.  However, if I leave it powered off overnight then the Soundbar turns on OK with the TV.  It's as if there are 2 phases within the standby mode?  I'm monitoring this one!  Anyone else noticed this?

0 Likes
akz786
Explorer
Options

Hi Guys new member on here with a setup as follows:

75 inch Q90R TV

Q70R Soundbar 

Sky Q 2TB box

As per the threads, I get the lip sync issue when connected to the OCB. Although I am on firmware 1352. 

When Sky Q is connected to the HDMI in of the Soundbar, the Doldy Digital/Atmos is fine.

The only issue I have is if it is quiet night and I want to use just the TV speakers, well I cant now as the Sky Q box is connected directly to the Q70R Soundbar. Any options to workaround this?

It does seem a bit flaky at times, with regards to the on/off sequence of SkyQ/TV/Soundbar, this is the trade-off I guess.

I rang UK customer support and the agent didn't know, or was not even aware of a firmware v1359.

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

We found that the support line staff were not very technical at all and contacted the CEO's office direct.  After trying all the latest firmware updates we gave up and returned the TV to the retailer and bought a Panasonic GZ2000 with built in sound bar.  No more lip sync or audio issues.  Shame really as we liked the picture on the TV.  Another thing that we found out was that the Samsung did not have a headphone socket which was annoying on a high priced TV.

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

I have a q950r tv with q90 soundbar. After 6 months of waiting for up dates I'm on the latest 1359 software that at first I was told didn't exist until the service tec couldn't find any other fix. They are now saying the lip sync is down to the soundbar that I sent away with them to be checked. I've contacted the retailer to start the process to get my money back but first I have to wait to get the results from the soundbar. 

0 Likes