Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 17-02-2020 12:36 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

DoubleD39 as per the instructions for the sound bar connection, use the HDMI ARC so that you can experience the full effect when watching a movie with ATMOS sound.  You will have paid a lot of money for both units so why would you want to do a work around.  In addition, in the UK if there is an issue, you can send back the units for a full refund within the first 30 days.

We have an AV engineer visiting us soon and feel sure that they will agree that we have issues with the Q90 Tv and also the Q90 sound bar.  If they do agree then the dealer will be taking back the lot and we will be looking elsewhere.  Just to add that we are very impressed with the picture on the Q90 TV, but the lip sync, sound drop outs and distorted sound has spoiled it for us.

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi @Buccaneerian 

Concur with your advice to @DoubleD39

Re your problems I have the same Q90 TV and Soundbar as you, I haven't experienced any problems with sound distortion or dropouts so it will be interesting to hear what the AV Engineer finds (if anything).

Is this a general problem or does it happen with a particular source or audio codec?

0 Likes
DoubleD39
First Poster
Options
Thanks for your advice Ian57 very much appreciated. Regards DoubleD39
0 Likes
DoubleD39
First Poster
Options
Thanks so much for your advice, very much appreciated.
0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

Ian57 we get the sound drop outs whether using Neflix or Prime and distorted sound on occasions with Sky+HD.  Sometimes picture will judder rather than pixelate and sound distorts.  In addition, the rear speakers will only very occasionally activate and then at low audio.  Being doing tests with ATMOS clips off Youtube and the Q90 sound bar does not recognise thge clips as having ATMOS sound.

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi @Buccaneerian 

OK I've not used Netflix or Prime.  I've used the Rakuten and BT Sport Apps on the TV and the audio has been fine.  I have a SKY Q 1 TB box and that hasn't given any problems with audio via HDMI connected into either TV OCB or latterly into Soundbar.

Ive only tried Dolby Atmos using my Panasonic 4K Blu-ray player and the Soundbar showed Dolby Atmos detected OK.  NB I had to disable the Viera Link control as that caused all sorts of confusion with the Soundbar not recognising the HDMI input and defaulting to TV speakers - most annoying until someone tipped me off about this issue.

In summary, I haven't experienced the audio or video problems you have described.

I agree about the volume level of the rear speakers it seems low in most scenarios except maybe playing a movie decoded in Atmos or Dolby Digital.  Having said that I haven't tried adjusting the volume level to +6 so I will do that later to see if there is any difference/improvement.

Hope you get the result you want from the AV engineers visit.

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

I have just done numerous ATMOS tests using Youtube via Firestick and Youtube app. The sound bar does not recognise any of the ATMOS test clips on You tube.  Also does not recognise some movies that are ATMOS as being ATMOS.  Using Firestick on Netflix for Underground a movie with ATMOS, the sound bar does not recognise the ATMOS format.  I then tried Prime on known ATMOS movies and only one Jack Ryan showed up as having ATMOS sound and then there was no ATMOS effect with gun battles or a helicopter flying overhead.  The annoying past is that the pictrue is brilliant, but sound leaves a lot to be desired..

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi

You have obviously done a lot more testing than I have with Atmos so it's interesting to hear your test results.  Mine is limited to a couple of Blu-ray Discs as this is the only Atmos compatible source that I have.

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

Our Sony Blu ray player is rather old and probably cannot play ATMOS.  Wev hardly ever use it so not worth investing in a newer one and upgrading to 4k and ATMOS.

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi All,

Changing the subject but related to above issues, has anyone had problems with Q series Soundbar not turning on with the TV?  In my set up (Q90 TV and Soundbar) this is very flakey, it was working fine over the weekend, then this morning I used my Blu-Ray player (connected into Soundbar via HDMI) and since going back to Using SKY Q box (also connected into Soundbar via HDMI) the Soundbar no longer turns on with either the SKY or TV remote control.  Previously it was turning on consistently with the TV when using the SKY remote.  I had this issue before and then it started working OK but I can't figure what I did, if anything, to make it work.  Flakey and infuriating to say the least.

Anyone got an explanation and hopefully a fix?

0 Likes