Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 16-02-2020 10:03 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

BTW if the TV is within the first 6 months and they are unable to resolve the issue, you can still return the TV for a full refund.  If after the first 6 months and within 6 years you will need to prove that it is an inherent fault and was there from day one.  You can then reject the TV however they may take into consideration usage and knock off a couple of bob.

The above all falls undere the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and is legilsation and over rides any warranty or clause that the delaer may have imposed.  If unsure approached Which Legal Services for further advice.  We did with another issue and were very successful. 

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

We have Sky+HD and both the other much older TVs are working perfectly and have been for the past 12 years.  Why can't a brand new TV costing more than twice as much as the older TVs which were top of the range when purchased behave the same way?

0 Likes
Chrisgixer
Journeyman
Options

Because it's shifting a lot more data. 

...and because you don't want to fit an optical cable. Fair enough. I didn't either.

but just try it. 

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

Unless Samsung have fixed this in the latest firmware, and if you mean that using S/PDIF (optical) through the TV (from HDMI TV-input) should avoid the Dolby Digital audio delay bug, I can tell you that optical output is also affected!

I suspect that the delay is due to that the TV decodes the DD sound and recode it before output on optical/ARC. I'm sure that the TV could just transfer a DD5.1 stream both to optical (maybe also to ARC, but not totally sure if ARC handles the bit rate altough I think ARC should be able to handle also a DD+ bitrate.) I'm also under the impression that converting a DD+ data stream to DD (DD5.1) should not require recoding, but merely stripping the additional DD+ data.

My sat receiver displays what the TV answeres regarding sound capability and it lists DD+. If the TV cannot transfer DD+ to opto (or ARC) without adding delay to the point that the audio is unusable I think the solution should have been that the TV reported that it only can handle DD5.1.  It knows that I have selected audio optical output!

The report from Samsung engineers makes me think that the root cause is a mistake in the HW design, so that recoding can not be avoided.

0 Likes
ChrisThomson
First Poster
Options

Why not just plug external sources through the soundbar via hdmi? No lag when i did this (q90 tv and q70 soundbar).

the only downside i saw was that the q70 only has one extra hdmi port.....thats why i upgraded to the q90 aoundbar (q80 also has 2 extra).

is there any disadvantage to soing it this way? (Other than loaing out on better cable management)

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

I agree with Chris, having connected external sources into both the TV OCB and then into the Soundbar (Q90) via HDMI the latter is definitely the best option at this time given the lip sync problems with the TV decoding of Dolby Digital audio.  I've recently installed TV software upgrade v1358 and it does not resolve the lip sync problem.

Furthermore, if we were using an AV receiver/amp with our Q series TVs we would connect the external devices into the AV receiver and have an HDMi-ARC connection back to the TV for the video signal.  So this is the same concept as connecting the external sources into the Soundbar.

0 Likes
ChrisThomson
First Poster
Options

Do you lose any sound quality or options by going external hdmi ->soundbar ->tv via hdmi arc? (Instead of soundbar via arc to tv and externals to tv directly.) the instructios on the sound bar say to connect externals to the soundbar anyways)

I heard someone talking about some of the game setting are lost connecting via soundbar?

the real shame of the situation is such a waste of the connect box (the thin 1connect wire is a great idea except for the fact that i need 1 hdmi to go to it from the soundbar and individual cords going to the soundbar anyways.....defeats the whole purpose of it in hiding wires....soundbar Needs to be in front of the tv......so either you keep the connect box close to the tv and soundbar (defeats the purpose)....or you keep it off to the side with multiple hdmi cord going from it to the soundbar(thats in front of the tv)......literally the only thing that gets plugged into the 1connect is the soundbar hdmi and a lan cable.....rest goes to the soundbar defeating the purpose of it.

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi Chris

I only have 2 external devices, a SKY Q box (my primary source for watching TV) and a 4K Blu-Ray player (occasional use) so I can't comment on any loss of gaming functionality.

Connecting external sources directly into the soundbar provides the best audio solution and is essential for say Dolby Atmos decoding from my Blu-ray player.

I have a wall mounted TV with the Soundbar located underneath sat on top of a wall mounted media unit.  My external devices and the TV OCB are housed in the media unit and I have cut a hole in the top panel of the media unit underneath the soundbar, so it is a neat installation where all my cables are hidden from view.

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi again,

But yes agreed the TV OCB becomes somewhat redundant if you connect all external devices to the soundbar as you only need the HDMI-ARC, network and power cables as you have identified.

0 Likes
Chrisgixer
Journeyman
Options

So run all hdmi to one connect box. 

on sky q (or prime viewing box) run optical to amp or sound bar. Set q box to optical setting. (For sky Q Dolby + must not be selected on hdmi audio or the optical port is turned off, so you might loose Dolby + but you won't care if lip sinc and quality are better)  

.....and yes I can see running optical to sound bar is a pain for some but then I have an amp right next to the Q box and sound bar won't give the power of amp with separate speakers anyway....horses for courses

I can't claim this as my own as the sky technician said that's what's recommended by sky. Fixes lip sinc and gives noticeably better crisper audio. Which I noticed immediately without him initially telling me. 

obviously I can say that it fixed it for me. And I hope it will fix it hit you. Just a suggestion. Rest is up to you guys 

best of luck with it 

0 Likes